Break Glass - 2020 USA Elections

Comments

• Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Great news about Steve King.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    Biden has secured the nomination. Not that this was really in doubt, but no it is official.
    ...and the crowd goes mild.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Simon Toad wrote: »

Crowd? Maybe a virtual crowd. It'll be interesting to see how political campaigning adapts to social distancing.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »

Crowd? Maybe a virtual crowd. It'll be interesting to see how political campaigning adapts to social distancing.

Up until the William McKinley campaign, candidates really did not reach out to the people directly. They relied on underlings to promote their cause. At this point, I don't think Biden has to do much of anything, just let djt drown in his own filth.
    Gramps49 wrote: »

Up until the William McKinley campaign, candidates really did not reach out to the people directly. They relied on underlings to promote their cause. At this point, I don't think Biden has to do much of anything, just let djt drown in his own filth.
    That would be a mistake. His filth is part of what got him elected.

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    A lot of Republican-controlled states are doing their best to suppress absentee voting. One such state is Tennessee, which allows you to vote absentee only if you have a valid excuse. Here's their list of what they consider to be valid excuses. One enterprising individual noticed one particular item:
    • You are observing a religious holiday that prevents you from voting in person during the early voting period and on Election Day.

And thus was born the Church of Universal Suffrage, an officially registered non-profit religious organization in the state of Tennessee. Their religious holidays are, not entirely coincidentally, every election day and early voting period in the state of Tennessee.
  • Just when I was losing my faith in the United States, it is restored.
    :lol:
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Croesos--

Thx for the link about the CUS! :) From their "About Us" page, I particularly like their stance on donations:
    The Church of Universal Suffrage will never ask for or accept any donation. We ask that you donate to a local charity of your choice instead.

However, we do recommend donating to Dreams and Wishes of Tennessee, a non-profit organization that grants wishes for local Tennessee children diagnosed with cancer.
    Georgia's primary vote yesterday was a clusterfuck. New machines that were not properly tested and poll workers did not know how to use them. Long lines in certain polling places in the Atlanta area (mostly black neighborhoods) and polling places being forced to close early because they ran out of provisional ballots.

On the other hand, Iowa's primary was an outstanding success. The Iowa Secretary of State had earlier sent out forms allowing any voter to apply for an absentee ballot, and most voters took advantage of it. They had the highest turnout in history.

Now the Republicans legislators in Iowa want to restrict absentee ballots. Georgia has a Republican administration.

Is there a pattern here?
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    Just when I was losing my faith in the United States, it is restored.

Good to see you.
    Trump Pence Make America Great Again
    BREAKING: DEMOCRATS SUED TO STOP TRUMP RALLY

Can you believe it, Simon?

Radical Democrats actually SUED to stop my re-election campaign’s Trump MAGA Rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday.

First, they support tens of thousands of ANTIFA THUGS DESTROYING our communities.
    And now, they try to COVID-SHAME us for holding rallies at only a fraction of the people?

I DON’T THINK SO. The Liberals have ALWAYS been trying to take me down, and more importantly, they’ve been trying to take YOU down, Simon.

They hate me. They hate you. They hate rallies and it’s all because they hate the idea of MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

We are halfway through the month and now the Left has tried to SILENCE US, I want to make a statement SO LOUD that even the Fake News media won’t be able to ignore us.

FOR THE NEXT HOUR I’ve extended 500%-MATCHING on ALL CONTRIBUTIONS made to our Trump Rally Defense Fund!

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT in the NEXT HOUR to our Trump Rally Defense Fund and your gift will automatically be 500%-MATCHED. >>

TRUMP RALLY DEFENSE FUND

EMAIL: simon.toad@gmail.com
    ACCOUNT NUMBER : 22491779 - 2020
    500%-MATCH: NOT USED
    DEADLINE: 1 HOUR

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $30

CONTRIBUTE $20 = $120

CONTRIBUTE $15 = $90

CONTRIBUTE $10 = $60

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $30

CONTRIBUTE ANY AMOUNT

I need you right now, Simon. The Left thinks they can stop me from WINNING in November if they STOP our Trump MAGA Rallies. With your help, we’ll show them just how wrong they are.

My team is sending me a list of Patriots who choose to step up during this critical moment. I hope I can count on you.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT RIGHT NOW to get on the list and your gift will be 500%-MATCHED.

Thank you,

President Trump Signature Headshot
    Donald J. Trump
    President of the United States

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $30

I am receiving about 10 emails a day from the Trump campaign. This one is especially egregious, stoking hate.

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    I am receiving about 10 emails a day from the Trump campaign.
    What unspeakable sin did you commit to get on that mailing list? :scream:

• PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I am receiving about 10 emails a day from the Trump campaign. This one is especially egregious, stoking hate.

Am I correct in thinking that you live in Australia? If so, Trump is soliciting donations from someone who is not a resident or citizen of the United States. I thought that was illegal. (But when did that ever stop him?)
    edited June 18
    My idea in the past has been to donate to the Trump campaign and pass the receipt on to the Democrats. I think at some point I answered a survey telling Trump what I thought of him. It went from there...

It really is a horrific bit of demagoguery isn't it. The evil Libs not only hate Trump, they hate me, personally. My fake name is there. The President says liberals HATE ME.

You bastards...
    edited June 18
    Trump Pence Make America Great Again
    BREAKING: DEMOCRATS SUED TO STOP TRUMP RALLY

Can you believe it, Simon?

Radical Democrats actually SUED to stop my re-election campaign’s Trump MAGA Rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday.

First, they support tens of thousands of ANTIFA THUGS DESTROYING our communities.
    And now, they try to COVID-SHAME us for holding rallies at only a fraction of the people?

I DON’T THINK SO. The Liberals have ALWAYS been trying to take me down, and more importantly, they’ve been trying to take YOU down, Simon.

They hate me. They hate you. They hate rallies and it’s all because they hate the idea of MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

We are halfway through the month and now the Left has tried to SILENCE US, I want to make a statement SO LOUD that even the Fake News media won’t be able to ignore us.

FOR THE NEXT HOUR I’ve extended 500%-MATCHING on ALL CONTRIBUTIONS made to our Trump Rally Defense Fund!

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT in the NEXT HOUR to our Trump Rally Defense Fund and your gift will automatically be 500%-MATCHED. >>

TRUMP RALLY DEFENSE FUND

EMAIL: simon.toad@gmail.com
    ACCOUNT NUMBER : 22491779 - 2020
    500%-MATCH: NOT USED
    DEADLINE: 1 HOUR

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $30

CONTRIBUTE $20 = $120

CONTRIBUTE $15 = $90

CONTRIBUTE $10 = $60

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $30

CONTRIBUTE ANY AMOUNT

I need you right now, Simon. The Left thinks they can stop me from WINNING in November if they STOP our Trump MAGA Rallies. With your help, we’ll show them just how wrong they are.

My team is sending me a list of Patriots who choose to step up during this critical moment. I hope I can count on you.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT RIGHT NOW to get on the list and your gift will be 500%-MATCHED.

Thank you,

President Trump Signature Headshot
    Donald J. Trump
    President of the United States

CONTRIBUTE $5 = $30

I think you should file a complaint through our Federal Election Commission @ https://www.fec.gov/legal-resources/enforcement/complaints-process/how-to-file-complaint-with-fec/
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    My idea in the past has been to donate to the Trump campaign and pass the receipt on to the Democrats.

I don't follow this at all. You donated to the Trump campaign? Why?
    edited June 18
    Ruth--

From what he said, in his post just above the one from Gramps, I think Simon Toad gave, knowing that T couldn't legally accept it--and if T *did* accept, Simon Toad could give the receipt to the Democrats as proof T broke the law.
    Thanks, Golden Key! (Note to self: More coffee!)
    Damn, Texas has turned pink. As well as a number of other states. Of course, the toss-up states will rule election night.
  • Soror MagnaSoror Magna Shipmate
    Am I the only person who thinks the result will be dictated by the effectiveness of voter suppression, topped off by the inherent bias of the electoral college?
    Gramps--

Isn't Texas traditionally a hard-core Republican state? And normally quite red? If so, then (for the purposes of defeating T), wouldn't pink be a move in the right direction?
    edited June 18
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Gramps--

Isn't Texas traditionally a hard-core Republican state? And normally quite red? If so, then (for the purposes of defeating T), wouldn't pink be a move in the right direction?

Yes, Texas has been Red ever since LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. However, Democrats have been winning local elections in the metropolitan areas. Those areas continue to grow, the rural areas continue to shrink. There is also a large Hispanic population along the Mexican border which vote Blue.

I think Real Clear Politics show Trump only has a 1% lead over Biden now. Before the Coronavirus pandemic, Trump had a 14 point lead. He has been losing a lot of ground there.
    Am I the only person who thinks the result will be dictated by the effectiveness of voter suppression, topped off by the inherent bias of the electoral college?

I don't know about "dictated," but yes these things are important. I'd add two others:

1. The effectiveness of voter turn-out will also matter. The Florida Republican Party, for instance, is unbelievably good at getting their folks to turn out, so much that former Republican strategist Rick Wilson says Biden needs to be 10 points ahead in the polls there to actually win, because so many Republicans who didn't get counted as likely voters will in fact vote.

2. Analyst Rachel Bitecofer talks about negative partisanship all the time on Twitter and in that New Republic article. The high level of polarization means people vote because they hate and fear the other side; Democrats need to capitalize on their voters' dislike of Trump.

I'm not excited about Texas turning pink, because it will still send all its Electoral College votes to Trump whether it's blood red or blushing pink. I'm more interested in the fact that the 270towin map shows Michigan as light blue, as it was very close to being the tipping point state in 2016.
    Please note that I have not donated to the Trump campaign. I live my life dreaming up wicked schemes that I never pursue.

Ah. It's ok.
    Good news, America!
    edited July 6
    Today I have 11 emails in my gmail promotions tab. 5 of them are from the Trump Campaign. I have two more in my primary tab. I clear my promotions tab most days.

I'm not going to worry about Kanye until he files. I hadn't even heard of the guy until he met with Trump.
  • Furtive GanderFurtive Gander Shipmate
    edited July 6
    Maybe this has been noted already but yesterday on Aljazeera I was pleased to hear:

"As the United States election approaches, a new dynamic is playing out. President Donald Trump is not just fending off attacks by members of the opposing party, but also from his own.

Some prominent Republicans have publicly stated they will vote for former Vice President Joe Biden and are working to help get him elected.
    "

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/prominent-republicans-promise-biden-election-200705140700742.html
  • lilbuddha wrote: »
    Good news, America!

Errrrr...I may be thick here, but doesn't this (if it happens) split the 'not Trump' vote? Or are a bunch of disaffected Republicans who can't bring themselves to vote for Biden next time, more likely to vote for Mr West? The only connection I can see is that such a person might have a big thing for candidates from outside 'the swamp'. But it seems...unlikely, given the comments about Steve King up-thread.
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Good news, America!

Errrrr...I may be thick here, but doesn't this (if it happens) split the 'not Trump' vote? Or are a bunch of disaffected Republicans who can't bring themselves to vote for Biden next time, more likely to vote for Mr West? The only connection I can see is that such a person might have a big thing for candidates from outside 'the swamp'. But it seems...unlikely, given the comments about Steve King up-thread.
    The 'Good" was sarcastic. Mostly because I think Kanye is ludicrous* and because I don't think he'll put in the effort. But also for the damage it might do if he did actually run.

*For the two other people here who like hip-hop; that is not a conspiracy theory
  • Would Kanye be the first bipolar president?

And seeing as he (reportedly, by his family) refuses to take his meds sometimes, should that exclude him from being allowed to take office (and the nuclear football).

Or is asking that in 2020 as offensive as suggesting in the 1970's that a president who menstruates couldn't be trusted with the launch codes?
    Oh, look, a shiny object. West is no more than a distraction. Nothing to see here.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Would Kanye be the first bipolar president?

No, that was John Adams.
    Re Adams:

Seriously? Or sarcasm?

Lincoln was seriously depressed all his life. (Though one of his biographers, Doris Kearns Goodwin, said "he just had a melancholy personality".) Mary, his wife, seems like she may have been manic or bipolar.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Re Adams:

Seriously? Or sarcasm?

Seriously.
    edited July 10
    Not to point fingers, but if it were not for the bipolar Winston Churchill . . .
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The political career of Jefferson Beauregard Session III seems to have come to an end with his primary election defeat at the hands of former college football coach Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville will face incumbent Senator Doug Jones in November.
    Not to point fingers, but if it were not for the bipolar Winston Churchill . . .

every time I see this I react against it, and a list of Churchill's crimes pass before my eyes.

every time I see this I react against it, and a list of Churchill's crimes pass before my eyes.

Many people will say Churchill committed a lot of crimes. I am not questioning that. I am just pointing out Churchill was likely bipolar. There were times he worked days and nights on end, then there were times he just could not get out of bed.
    edited July 16
    ...and giving him credit for his leadership during WW2. I'm just conflicted about him. One of the problems with Churchill was his refusal to release Australian troops fighting in North Africa so that they could defend against what looked like a potential Japanese invasion of Australia in 1942. He didn't give a stuff about the rest of the Empire.
    Again, I am only talking about his mental health. I am not discussing his decisions in relation to the war.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    ...and giving him credit for his leadership during WW2. I'm just conflicted about him. One of the problems with Churchill was his refusal to release Australian troops fighting in North Africa so that they could defend against what looked like a potential Japanese invasion of Australia in 1942. He didn't give a stuff about the rest of the Empire.

Isn't that the point of empires? A central core that extracts resources (like manpower) from a periphery for the benefit of that central core.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    I'm going to throw this bit of breaking news out there.
    Federal officials arrested Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and several others on Tuesday in connection with a $60 million bribery case.

U.S. Attorney David DeVillers’ office would not discuss details of the case, but multiple sources confirmed Householder’s arrest.

Former Ohio GOP Chairman Matt Borges, longtime Householder adviser Jeff Longstreth, and lobbyists Neil Clark and Juan Cespedes also were arrested, the sources confirmed.

<snip>

The arrests come after a nearly two-year investigation into bribes and money laundering by the FBI, according to a federal investigator involved in the arrests.

The investigation included dinners and meetings between undercover federal agents and Householder and Clark where the men made incriminating statements about illegal activity and bribes.

The investigator said more arrests connected to the investigation are expected.

So no one other than the U.S. Attorney's office and the accused really know any details at this point and it doesn't seem directly related to the election, but it looks like the Republican leadership in a key swing state might be partially decapitated by election day.
    I wonder if someone, somewhere, decided it would be a really good idea to get this going before the election? Not necessarily a high-up person; but someone who had the opportunity to say "hey, let's go ahead and do this now; you're on vacation sometime next month, right?", or some such.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited July 21
    I wonder if someone, somewhere, decided it would be a really good idea to get this going before the election? Not necessarily a high-up person; but someone who had the opportunity to say "hey, let's go ahead and do this now; you're on vacation sometime next month, right?", or some such.

Hard to say, though it seems unlikely. The investigation has been going on for two years according to the article, so the timing is likely either coincidental or timed so the indictments aren't any closer to election day. The Ohio House of Representatives is up for election in 2020 as well.

Isn't that the point of empires? A central core that extracts resources (like manpower) from a periphery for the benefit of that central core.

That's true, except Australians at the time considered themselves British. If you lived in a city, you could easily live your life in 1942 without seeing anyone who wasn't from the British Isles, or whose parents or Grandparents weren't from there. There were people who had ancestry from The Continent, but many of them got with the programme, anglicized their names and loved Australia as British subjects too. We were literally a white homeland.

Britain was the mother country. Our cousins, our uncles, perhaps even our brothers and sisters were still back HOME. There has been an ongoing political issue before the pandemic that revolves around our sense of self not as citizens of Australia (as we were after 1901), but subjects of the British Empire, a belief that has been slowly dying on the vine since 1942. Many people my age retain the right to live and work in Britain, and to apply for citizenship after 5 years because of their English heritage. I have it, but my wife misses out, because her British connections are one generation too far removed.

That's why Australians returning to Britain even in the 1960's were shocked and sometimes offended that some English people did not view us like this at all, and put us in the category of colonials. That's why Australians were outraged, absolutely flabbergasted, that Churchill did not act in our interests in 1942. That's why Australians were outraged, absolutely flabbergasted, when Britain finally ended its mercantilist economic relationship with us and joined the European Common Market.

We could not believe that our cousins, our precious and loved family, of which we were the homesick offshoot, could betray us like that. And so we express our feelings, or I do, when England plays Australia in the cricket. Because part of me feels the emotional pull of it, while I know also that it is a bit silly and anachronistic.

So we were Britons, living in a dominion of the crown. We were not foreign possessions, we were Britain in the South.

This has all gone now. We are no longer a white (ie British) homeland. Now we are one, and we are many too. I like it better that way. I hope the USA might reach something like the position we have. I thought you were there, almost. I really did. Then Trump blew that fantasy out of the water.
    We were never even close to being one.
    Simon, I know this is a tangent, but did Japan ever invade Australian territory? If not, what, in your opinion, stopped them?

Seems to me Australia was at the very end of Japan's overextended supply line. Japan did want Indonesia and Indochina for their oil and rubber to supply the war machine.

And then there was the pesky US Navy out there.

My dad was in the Army. He had the opportunity to take leave in Australia. The one thing he did not like, though, was the canned mutton rations from your country.