Break Glass - 2020 USA Elections

1767778798082»

Comments

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The Democrats would be helping the Republicans by ensuring trump can never stand again. How does it give any advantage to the Dems?
    mousethief wrote: »
    Isn't a big part of the problem here that people were/are thinking "How does this help me?" and not "How does this help the USA?"? Democrats should do what helps the country in the long haul.

Actually this is a legitimate question. The basis for American government is self interest. James Madison*, when describing the Constitution, claimed that "Ambition must be made to counteract ambition", meaning that the self interest of one faction would be used to counter the self interest of others.

So how does impeaching (and removing) Trump help Congressional Democrats? Well for starters it would be a warning and a precedent against a president riling up a mob to storm the Capitol and murder a bunch of Congresspeople when they cross him. Not being murdered by a mob seems like a huge advantage, at least when compared to the alternative. Very few Congressional Democrats will ever become president, but they're all in Congress right now. Further, countering the idea that the president can ignore both Congress and the electorate would also seem advantageous to Congressional Democrats, for similar reasons. Finally, establishing the notion that sedition won't be tolerated is also advantageous to Congressional Democrats (as well as Congressional Republicans) because as the established legislature they'd be the ones sedition would target.

*It might have been Alexander Hamilton. The question of exactly which of the Federalist Papers was written by Hamilton, Madison, or Jay is debatable.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    The actions (or lack of them) by law officers all around the USA when confronted by demonstrations or heavily-armed groups or self-proclaimed militias in recent years has been not only disgraceful but extremely dangerous.

Consider what you-know-who's buddy Kim Wrong Trim would have done.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    I remember a meme that essentially says a tolerant people cannot condone intolerance because intolerance will take over. Witness the Weimer Republic.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Maybe Melania could request re-patriation to Slovenia and offer them her husband as a tourist draw.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Re "bat shit", you can't make this stuff up. Guy is stealing painting from wall of USA Capitol building. The Taser he was carrying goes off, zapping him in the testicles. He dies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fuck45/comments/kt741e/meet_kevin_greeson_55_of_alabama_he_posted_on/

I read that he was going for a portrait of Tip O'Neill. The ghost of Tip O'Neill didn't take no crap.
  • Lyda--
    :notworthy:

The ghosts of both Abe and Mary Lincoln have been said to sometimes haunt the White House and grounds. Abe did love to "wrassle" / wrestle (which was put to great use in a Mountain Dew ad (YouTube).)
    ;)

Mary is said to have sometimes angrily haunted the rose garden, when she didn't like what was being done to it. Wonder if Melania has had a visit from her?
    ;)
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    I always found Melania rather haunting. Or was that haughty? I forget.
  • On the one hand, she is a sad figure - someone who married Trump with the expectation of a life of luxury and privilege and who never expected to be in the White House. She's always struck me as someone who is making the best of s bad job.

On the other hand, she is, in her own way, as self-centred as her husband, who has made no attempt to relate to people who aren't as rich as she is. Haughty is probably a good word to use.

If I feel sorry for any of them, it would be Barron, but I suspect he is already too far damaged to be saved. I would have a social worker on his case 24/7.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Melania's response to the attack last week struck me as rather Marie-Antoinette. She was asked to make a statement appealing for calm, and allegedly refused because she was too busy with a photo shoot of some rugs of hers.
  • Melania's response to the attack last week struck me as rather Marie-Antoinette. She was asked to make a statement appealing for calm, and allegedly refused because she was too busy with a photo shoot of some rugs of hers.

I don't know why, but your post gave me the giggles. I think it's the combination of ghastly events and farcical ones. "Let them eat rugs".
  • I’m surprised Donald lets her sell rugs. When I think rugs and Trump, it’s a whole different hairpiece which comes to mind.
  • Apparently Melania is doing a book about the redecoration and improvements she has made to the White House - some details here.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    The biggest redecoration and improvement is just days away now.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    On the other hand, [ Melania Trump ] is, in her own way, as self-centred as her husband, who has made no attempt to relate to people who aren't as rich as she is. Haughty is probably a good word to use.

Melania Identifies Real Victim of the Deadly Capitol Riots: Herself
    Last week, five people died as rioters incited by President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol seeking lawmakers to lynch. But first lady Melania Trump has identified the worst thing about the entire horrific spectacle — people saying mean things about her online.

In a deeply weird and jarring farewell statement posted by the White House early Monday morning, Melania first paid tribute to those who lost their lives in last week’s violence carried out in support of her husband, before going on to settle some scores against unspecified people who she claims have “attacked” her over the past few days since the riots.

“I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week,” she began, in a paragraph which, at first, you assume is a condemnation of Trumpist rioters. But she then goes on to say: “I find it shameful that surrounding these tragic events there has been salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me — from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda. This time is solely about healing our country and its citizens. It should not be used for personal gain.”

I really don't care, do U?
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    The biggest redecoration and improvement is just days away now.

Related.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited January 14
    Crœsos wrote: »
    On the other hand, [ Melania Trump ] is, in her own way, as self-centred as her husband, who has made no attempt to relate to people who aren't as rich as she is. Haughty is probably a good word to use.

Melania Identifies Real Victim of the Deadly Capitol Riots: Herself
    Last week, five people died as rioters incited by President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol seeking lawmakers to lynch. But first lady Melania Trump has identified the worst thing about the entire horrific spectacle — people saying mean things about her online.

In a deeply weird and jarring farewell statement posted by the White House early Monday morning, Melania first paid tribute to those who lost their lives in last week’s violence carried out in support of her husband, before going on to settle some scores against unspecified people who she claims have “attacked” her over the past few days since the riots.

“I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week,” she began, in a paragraph which, at first, you assume is a condemnation of Trumpist rioters. But she then goes on to say: “I find it shameful that surrounding these tragic events there has been salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me — from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda. This time is solely about healing our country and its citizens. It should not be used for personal gain.”

I really don't care, do U?

Just as self-absorbed as her husband.
  • Melania's response to the attack last week struck me as rather Marie-Antoinette. She was asked to make a statement appealing for calm, and allegedly refused because she was too busy with a photo shoot of some rugs of hers.

I don't know why, but your post gave me the giggles. I think it's the combination of ghastly events and farcical ones. "Let them eat rugs".

Fans of South Park....
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »
    [...] I really don't care, do U?
    Niiiiice one.

For those who don't remember, and who can be bothered: here.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host, Epiphanies Host
    Time to tidy up! Thanks to all contributors. The thread has served its purpose and will now be closed.

Barnabas62
    Purgatory Host
This discussion has been closed.