Angus Sinclair (Scottish murderer)
    Mother Delores Hart
    Phil Lesh
    Garth Hudson
    Shane MacGowan
    Clive James
  • hschardihschardi Shipmate
    edited January 1
    I do this because it's a great conversation starter at parties. oh, and because myself and one other person picked Michael Jackson the year he died and we won a lot of money.

1. Doris Day
    2. Tom Brokaw
    3. Dick Van Dyke
    4. Bill Cosby
    5. Charlie Sheen
    6. Jimmy Carter
    7. Betty White
    8. Prince Phillip
    9. Queen Elizabeth
    10. Amber Portwood (Teen Mom OG)
    11. Al Roker
    12. Keith Richards
    13. Robert Downey Jr
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    From the opening post: "All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on 13 March 2019."

Was copy & paste really a friend?

2018 was unusual because of the SoF revamp. But having seen entries come in after midnight, are we certain that the 13th of March was an appropriate deadline?
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Oops.

I would suggest (just a thought) that we accept the 2 post-midnight entries, but take no others, and have this started from now.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    @The Rogue corrected it here to 23:59 UTC on 31 December 2018.
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    I'm as competitive as the next person, but I'd be willing to let those two in. And I run death pools on two other boards, and am used to people begging and pleading.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited January 2
    WTF : You can't tell people the closing date is 13 March and then arbitrarily change it without at least a couple of days grace. At the very least there should have been a stand-alone post with the change of date highlighted.
    The Rogue wrote: »
    Sharpen those pencils because it's time to work out who might not be welcoming in 2020.

The rules are pretty much the same as they were last year. And the year before that. Cut and paste is your friend.

1. You must pick 13 well-known people whom you think will shuffle off this mortal coil in 2019. That is, starting from 00.01 UTC (GMT, really) on 1st January 2019 and ending at 23.59 UTC on 31 December 2019, as determined by the United States Naval Observatory Master Clock.

<snip>

10. All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on 13 March 2019. No entries will be accepted after this time. You may make changes to your list up until this time but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the game or if you've put someone in twice. Surprisingly, this does happen.<snip>

Anyone who hasn't submitted a list before will have been unaware that the above was a aberration: I'd submit that they should be alerted to the change and given a brief period to get on with it.

Here is my list for 2019 in the hope that a sense of fair-play will lead to (a) a stand-alone post highlighting that you got it wrong, and (b) giving a reasonable deadline to allow those of us who followed the rules as set out at the start of this thread to the letter a chance to join in.

1. HRH The Duke of Kent
    2. Pope Benedict XVI
    3. Robert Mugabe
    4. HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
    5. Valerie Harper (Mary Tyler Moore co-star)
    6. Michael J Fox
    7. Olivia Newton-John
    8. Clive James
    9. Henry Kissinger
    10. Valery Giscard-d'Estaing
    11. Thomas Markle
    12. John Sentamu – Archbishop of York
    13. Billy Connolly
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Considering that The Rogue posted this on December 2, I'd say you were given your "couple of days grace."
    Preview post also let me down. They must be in cahoots. Don't be surprised to find either of them at the bottom of the Hudson River wearing concrete galoshes. However, as they are not real people as per rule 3 you can't use this insider information and include them in your lists. The deadline for submitting entries is 23.59 UTC on 31st December 2018.

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Anyone who hasn't submitted a list before will have been unaware that the above was a aberration: I'd submit that they should be alerted to the change and given a brief period to get on with it.

I'd say that basic common sense would dictate anyone, whether they'd submitted a list before or not, should have realized there was something screwy with those instructions. As I pointed out a month ago, if you can get points from anyone who dies starting on 1 January 2019 but can submit your list as late as 13 March 2019, the obvious winner is going to be the person who waits until early March and then backfills their list with already dead celebrities. Since that would change what's usually supposed to be a game of guessing and prediction to one of internet research and "postdiction", the contradiction in the rules should have been immediately obvious.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Considering that The Rogue posted this on December 2, I'd say you were given your "couple of days grace."
    Preview post also let me down. They must be in cahoots. Don't be surprised to find either of them at the bottom of the Hudson River wearing concrete galoshes. However, as they are not real people as per rule 3 you can't use this insider information and include them in your lists. The deadline for submitting entries is 23.59 UTC on 31st December 2018.

Indeed. Besides, custom on the Ship as a whole is to read the thread before you start posting on it otherwise you might come off as silly. Even in the Circus.
    OK - a first for the year: Dean Ford from the band Marmalade has died.

As the article states, Ob-La-Di is their most famous song. Only famous song, I suspect.
  • Since it appears some people don't read the whole of a thread before posting, in lieu of any Circus hosts being around, I've taken the liberty of editing the OP to have the correct final submission date. We'll let @The Rogue make decisions about whether to graciously extend the opportunity to join in to the first few days of the year given the initial mistake. I think we can assume fair play will be followed, and no one would take advantage of this by including the names of anyone who died at the start of the year.

Alan
    Ship of Fools Admin
  • Hedgehog wrote: »

I read the original post. I noted the dates. And with a full schedule over Christmas and New Year I was relieved to see that I had until 13th March to finalise my list.

I assumed as much, TheOrganist, but as part of your comment was...
    At the very least there should have been a stand-alone post with the change of date highlighted.
    ...I was just pointing out that, in fact, there had been a stand-alone post that highlighted the change of date.

Personally, it matters not to me: it isn't the sort of game that one really wants to be competitive at--I absolutely refuse to encourage anybody on my list to kick the bucket just so I can win.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    Curb your enthusiasm, Bob Einstein and Daryl Dragon both dead at 76.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46740603

WWE legend Mean Gene Okerlund goes to the great ring in the sky.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    OK - a first for the year: Dean Ford from the band Marmalade has died.

As the article states, Ob-La-Di is their most famous song. Only famous song, I suspect.
    Unkind.

"Reflections" and "Rainbow" were both better and "Cousin Norman" an excellent song. If they aren't better known that is because of unimaginative radio producers.

I might be a Rocker but I know a good tune from a hole in the ground.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Also Captain, Daryl Dragon from Captain and Tenille
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    Also Captain, Daryl Dragon from Captain and Tenille

Check back three posts!

• The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    having completely failed to post my own list it is tempting to extend the deadline but I must be fair to all. I'll think about the two just-late entries and let you know.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46740603

WWE legend Mean Gene Okerlund goes to the great ring in the sky.

I think this is the only extended thing I've ever seen the guy in.

Might not have been as awkward as some of the comments make it out to be, since the interviewee was actually a big booster of WWF in the 80s, so Okerlund probably had some experience chatting with him. Still pretty offbeat, by the standards of sports interviewing.

Although this is called a competition it is really just a bit of fun and a chance to appreciate people who have been significant to us in conjunction with the All Saints thread. So I'm not going to get arsey. I'll take all the entries up till now but this is the line and no more will get in.

I am wondering whether a change for another year might be to allow after-date entries as long as, say, the people die at least a month afterwards. But that is for the future.

So let's sit back see how big the intersection is between the undertaker's work schedule and our lists.
  • Thank you.

And I'll make a note to get my list in before the end of December in future.

I haven't yet worked out the score on my list for 2018 - bit unsure how to do it because it was my first go at this ...
    There are 35 entries this year with a total of 452 nominations. The most popular celebrity is the Duke of Edinburgh with 17 (just under half the players had him on their list), then Pope Benedict (11 votes) and Donald Trump (10 votes).

More facts to follow.
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    On another board I run a DeathPool and since it's a US based board, although we have non-US members, it's interesting to see the differences in selections.

We have ninety-six playing, and of the top twelve selections we share only four names, although some of the others are not far behind.

Here on the Ship it's:

Prince Philip 17
    Pope Benedict XVI 11
    Donald Trump 10
    Queen Elizabeth II 9
    Robert Mugabe 7
    Billy Connolly 6
    Clive James 6
    Kim Jong-un 6
    Dick Van Dyke 5
    Jimmy Carter 5
    Olivia Newton-John 5
    Rolf Harris 5

In the game I'm running it's:

Jimmy Carter 28
    Olivia Newton John 22
    Bill Cosby 19
    Valerie Harper 19
    Leah Bracknell 17
    Prince Philip 17
    Fatima Ali 15
    Betty White 14
    Tim Conway 14
    Linda Nolan 13
    Donald Trump 12
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg 12

It's interesting to see the the Duke of Edinburgh has 17 on each game, but with one he's at the top of the list, and in the other he's in the middle.

Your game has more players and it's interesting to look at the percentages. 49% went for the top answer on our game and 29% on yours. Looking at Prince Phillip we had 49% but you had 18%. The coincidence of 17 on each is just that - a coincidence. Although it would be fun to try and read more into it.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Did anyone mention that Ray Sawyer died on Dec. 31?
    stetson wrote: »

Yes - that was on the 2018 list. Because he died in 2018.
  • stetson wrote: »

Yes, I did.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I doubt that anyone would have had him, but John Joubert, composer, has died.

Some of the church musicians on board will be familiar with Torches, There is no rose of such virtue and O Lorde, the maker of al thing.*

* co-written with Henry VIII. :smiley:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Some of the church musicians on board will be familiar with Torches, There is no rose of such virtue and O Lorde, the maker of al thing.*

He also wrote an extremely bizarre setting of the Nunc Dimitis
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    I seen Anatoly Lukyanov, last Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union, has been consigned to the dustbin of history.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Spike wrote: »
    Piglet wrote: »

He also wrote an extremely bizarre setting of the Nunc Dimitis

And a very impressive Passacaglia and Fugue.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Carol Channing has died, aged 97.
    Tree Bee wrote: »
    Carol Channing has died, aged 97.
    This is kind of a twist on the old "I didn't know they were alive" concept. I actually kind of knew Carol Channing was alive--I had NO IDEA she was that old!!!!

• Mary Oliver, beloved American poet has died.

• Windsor Davies has died aged 88
    He was brilliant - RIP Windsor.

It ain't half hot mum is terribly politically incorrect (but it was all done tongue in cheek, I htink accepting how wrong it was). As a rough sargent major in charge of a bunch of lovies, he was amazing.
  • I remember seeing an interview a couple of years ago with the Sikh actor who'd been a regular in IAHHM and, as far as he was concerned, it was brilliant - it gave him his break because he could play an Indian character - and he got along like a house on fire with the chap who was blacked-up to play an Indian (name utterly escapes me) who it turned out had been born in India and was fluent in Hindi.

AG
  • I remember seeing an interview a couple of years ago with the Sikh actor who'd been a regular in IAHHM and, as far as he was concerned, it was brilliant - it gave him his break because he could play an Indian character - and he got along like a house on fire with the chap who was blacked-up to play an Indian (name utterly escapes me) who it turned out had been born in India and was fluent in Hindi.

AG

The actor who was blacked-up was Michael Bates, who played Rangi Ram, the bearer, until his death at just 57. Now he was a brilliant actor!
  • Thank you - now I can look him up and in fact it was Urdu he was fluent in, and he may well have had some Gurkhali having been a Major in the Gurkhas during WW2 - funnily enough, in Burma.

AG
    If I'd thought about it, Windsor Davies would probably have been on my "I thought he'd been dead for years" list.

RIP.
  • Should that not be IAAOM?
  • The Rogue wrote: »
    Should that not be IAAOM?

Indiana Association of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine???
    It Ain't 'Alf 'Ot, Mum?
    I had missed the news about his illness, but the Gleneagles chef has died.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    It Ain't 'Alf 'Ot, Mum?

I'm not sure about including the t in 'Ot, but 'O' looks really weird.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    It Ain't 'Alf 'Ot, Mum?
    I'm not sure about including the t in 'Ot, but 'O' looks really weird.
    The 'h' is genuinely silent. I think the 't' is a glottal stop.

Tain taal fot m'm