2019 Celebrity Deathpool

Comments

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Henri Philippe Pierre Marie d'Orléans, the claimant of the French throne from the House of Orléans, has died at the age of 85. The not-King was not-succeeded by his son, Jean Charles Pierre Marie d’Orléans.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Oliver Mtukudzi, one of the best musicians I know. I had the honour of seeing him perform live once in Maputo.
  • Only click this if you want ear-worm. Michel Legrand has died.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    James Ingram has died. I at least recognise the name, so I think he is worthy of inclusion here.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Just heard that Jeremy Hardy has died. I once bumped into him in a book shop in Herne Hill. He made me smile on many occasions.
  • Sipech wrote: »
    Just heard that Jeremy Hardy has died. I once bumped into him in a book shop in Herne Hill. He made me smile on many occasions.

Very sorry to hear this.
  • I came here to check if someone had mentioned Jeremy Hardy - I'm gutted, and further saddened as he was one of the people keeping the memory of Linda Smith alive.
  • Likewise gutted.....
  • I feel like I did when I heard of the death of Linda Smith. Another Fuck You Cancer death.
  • I think this is a time when we can say that we have lost a unique talent who will be missed. I'm trying to remember when I last heard him on the radio. I don't think it was that long ago.
  • How sad.
  • I missed most of his career, but what I saw and heard was exceptional.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    The world has become a less mirthful place. RIP Jeremy.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Oh, man! Another funny one has gone. This time, Clive Swift, who played arguably the greatest downtrodden husband in British sitcom has died.
    Oh, man! Another funny one has gone. This time, Clive Swift, who played arguably the greatest downtrodden husband in British sitcom has died.

And also a downtrodden Bishop in the Barchester Chronicles.

R.i.p., Mr. Swift.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    RIP indeed, both gentlemen.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Oh, really, Richard. I will NOT have you dying after a short illness -- and in your own home, no less. I simply cannot use my Royal Doulton china with the hand-painted periwinkles at your wake.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Oh, really, Richard. I will NOT have you dying after a short illness -- and in your own home, no less. I simply cannot use my Royal Doulton china with the hand-painted periwinkles at your wake.
    Hyacinth would not have used the word 'wake'. 'Tea' perhaps, or even 'reception' but not 'wake' even though everyone else now uses the word - incorrectly as originally a wake took place before the funeral with the deceased present in his or her coffin.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Candelight tea, one would think.
    Enoch wrote: »
    ... Hyacinth would not have used the word 'wake' ...
    I think the expression you're looking for is funeral baked meats.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited February 4
    [ deleted because I just noticed the story refers to a death in late 2018 ]
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Canon Michael Green passed yesterday. It is over 30 years since we met, but has been instrumental in the way I think about some aspects of theology. God gets another of the good guys back.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    edited February 7
    Author Rosamunde Pilcher has died aged 94. We read her book Winter Solstice in our book group last December.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Frank Robinson has died. A Hall-of-Fame baseball player. NL Rookie of the Year in 1956. He won the Triple Crown in 1966 and was the first player in major league history to win the MVP Award in both leagues. He was a 12-time All-Star, and also World Series MVP in 1966 and All-Star Game MVP 1971. In 1975, with the Cleveland Indians, he was named the club’s player-manager, making him the first African-American to manage a major league club. He also managed the Giants, Orioles, Expos and Nationals and was named American League Manager of the Year in 1989.

For those scoring the Death Pool game, no I did not have him on my baseball-oriented list. I have Brooks Robinson on my list, not Frank.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    18 points for anyone who had Albert Finney.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited February 8
    Probably the greatest minor mistake of my life was switching off Saturday Night And Sunday Morning when it came on late-night TV in the mid-80s, largely due a then-underdeveloped taste for gritty bleakness.

I think the only thing I've been able to see from that whole early-60s kitchen-sink era of British cinema was Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner. That stuff doesn't come around that much, and is even hard to find on You Tube.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    I think it's possible to watch it for a small fee on the British Film Institute site or via Amazon Prime, but that may not apply outside the UK.
    Enoch wrote: »
    I think it's possible to watch it for a small fee on the British Film Institute site or via Amazon Prime, but that may not apply outside the UK.

I never do financial transactions on-line, and don't have Amazon Prime, so it's unlikely that I will utilize those services. But thanks for the heads-up anyway.

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Congressman Walter B. Jones, Jr. of North Carolina died on Sunday. He was probably best known for his efforts, alongside Bob Ney of Ohio, for getting the Capitol cafeteria to rename French Fries "Freedom Fries" in the wake of France's criticism of (and non-participation in) the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Unlike Ney, Jones eventually reversed himself on Iraq and spent much of the rest of his tenure trying to make amends. His district (NC-3) includes Camp Lejeune, an important Marine Corps base.

This brings to 2 the number of vacancies in the current House of Representatives, both of them from the North Carolina caucus.
    Does that mean that you have to hold by-elections to replace them?
    Most non-Canadians probably won't know who this is, but...

Joe Schlesinger

CBC journalist. He had kind of fatalistic, world-weary style of delivery, though still usually managed to come across as a nice guy. I think I first paid attention to him when he covered Reagan vs. Mondale in '84.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Does that mean that you have to hold by-elections to replace them?

Depends on what you mean by "them". North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper will have to call a special election to replace Congressman Jones, but the other vacancy (NC-9) is empty because the massive irregularities in last November's election left the board of elections unwilling to certify the outcome of that election. The way forward is still in dispute, with the added twist that North Carolina Republicans are arguing that any new election should also include a do-over of the Republican primary, which shows similar stigmata of election tampering.

So in a strictly grammatical sense there's no "them" to replace, since one of the vacancies is due to a botched election.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Sam McCready has exited the stage.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    World Cup winning goalkeeper, Gordon Banks, has died, aged 81.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Gordon Banks, former England goalkeeper, world cup winner and famous for the greatest ever save has dies aged 81.
    edited February 13
    Rumours afoot on the internet that anglophobe conspiracy-theorist Lyndon LaRouche has died, but nothing officially confirmed yet. No mention on his websites, and his wikipedia page is locked.

Requisite jokes about the dark hand of the Windsor cabal are in circulation, however.
    edited February 13
    Looks like it's official, or at least as official as anything reported by that particular website can be.

He actually did know about a lot of different stuff, and his conspiracy theories tended to involve misapplying an accurate understanding of history to current events, eg. the UK in the 19th Century WAS a major player in the opium trade, and Queen Victoria WAS the titular head of that enterprise, ergo Queen Elizabeth controls the heroin trade today.

I suppose it's to his credit as a political operator that he managed to get as far as he did, to the point of managing to swing a few local elections his way, compared to others who emerged from his trostskyist milieu. Probably made a shrewd bet that manic patriotism would be a better fit for middle America than left-wing sectariainism.
  • Although we could debate the actual date of death, Oppy has ended its explorations.
  • stetson wrote: »
    Rumours afoot on the internet that anglophobe conspiracy-theorist Lyndon LaRouche has died, but nothing officially confirmed yet. No mention on his websites, and his wikipedia page is locked.

Requisite jokes about the dark hand of the Windsor cabal are in circulation, however.
    Darllenwr read something recently that when something goes spectacularly wrong, Americns think it's a conspiracy, Brits think it's a c**k up.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    edited February 14
    -
  • Priscilla wrote: »
    Darllenwr read something recently that when something goes spectacularly wrong, Americns think it's a conspiracy, Brits think it's a c**k up.

Dead right and this has its root in the ways in which the different governments operate. US agencies conspire without reference to other, often rival, agencies (and for that matter, the White House), and we get the Iran-Contra affair, etc. In Britain we have worthy ideals and central control which is then delegated with no oversight! These go belly up, like the Tanganyika Groundnut scheme. NHS patient records computerisation and countless failed military projects such as TSR2, Blue Streak, the Airborne Early Warning variant of the Nimrod maritime reconnaisance aircraft and way too many others.
  • I don't know/ think he counts as a celebrity but has anyone else on here remarked on the death (on 30th January) of George Austin, sometime Archdeacon of York? There is an obituary in today's Times (I think behind a paywall, sorry) which has prompted some comments, and which includes the remark by John Habgood likening GA to the Fat Boy in The Pickwick Papers ... :grin:
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Just a quick mention of Mr Haynes, of the Haynes Manuals, who died at about the same time as Gordon Banks.
  • Author Andrea Levy’s died aged 62.
  • I am moved to sorrow once again. Bruno Ganz has died. The article references his appearance as Hitler, which became an internet meme. But, to me, he will always be Damiel in Wings of Desire, the angel who chooses to be human. When I think of that movie, I first think of the beautiful cinematography (seldom equalled) but the second thing I think of is how great Bruno Ganz was in the part. Ditto in the sort-of-sequel-but-not-really Faraway, So Close (the closing scene of which i--from a cinematography viewpoint--insanely wonderful).
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Labour MP, Paul Flynn, has died.
    Labour MP, Paul Flynn, has died.

And very much a Newport MP. He took the Newport West seat from the Conservatives in 1987 and very much through his own efforts made it safer than Newport East, drawing votes from people who were opposed to him politically. He won The Spectator's "Backbencher of the Year" award in 1996 and was described by Simon Hoggart as "The thinking man's Dennis Skinner".
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Karl Lagerfield, the fashion designer, had died at the age of 85.