2019 Celebrity Deathpool

Comments

• Notable Lagerfeld shade quote:

"I think tattoos are horrible. It's like living in a Pucci dress all the time."

RIP Karl, you fastidious queen of fashion - Chanel will never be the same. Heaven's angels are about to get a makeover.

AFF
  • Pitcher Don Newcombe has died, age 92. He was one of the Dodgers' last living links to the team's Brooklyn roots.

He did not qualify for my list because I limited myself to those who were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Newcombe never was.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    "For Pete's Sake," Peter Tork former bass and keyboard player with the Monkees died today, cause unknown but he's had cancer for a decade.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Worth mentioning that Stanley Donen has died. I didn't know the name, but he directed Singing in the Rain. So deserves a mention here, I think.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    I've just heard that André Previn has died. He was 87.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm sorry to hear that. He came to Orkney in the mid-1980s with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for the première of Peter Maxwell Davies' violin concerto; I didn't get to meet him, but I was manning the door of the Festival Club when he arrived, and got a smile.

I wonder if he's met up with Morecambe and Wise in Heaven?
    Piglet wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that. He came to Orkney in the mid-1980s with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for the première of Peter Maxwell Davies' violin concerto; I didn't get to meet him, but I was manning the door of the Festival Club when he arrived, and got a smile.

I wonder if he's met up with Morecambe and Wise in Heaven?

I wonder if he's still Mr Preview?
    I'd like to think so. Interesting how so many Brits paying tribute to him on Facebook have either mentioned or linked to the Morecambe and Wise sketch - it's sort of ingrained in the British psyche, even though it was getting on for 50 years ago (I'm feeling old now).

RIP Mr. Preview.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    I googled Andrew Preview, and Andre Previn came up straight away! Slightly worrying to think that I saw the Morecambe and Wise sketch when it was originally shown, and I can still quote most of it by heart!
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Katherine Helmond, from the American sitcom Soap and various Terry Gilliam films, has passed away at the age of 89. Never a huge fan of her, but she did play spinny eccentrics rather well.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I remember Katherine Helmond from "Soap" -- a silly show, but in some ways groundbreaking. I believe one character was one of the first gay, and later trans, characters on a prime time show.

It was also, IIRC, the first prime time series to have an over-the-summer "cliff hanger" (this was two years before "Who Shot JR?").

One morning in the summer of 1978 (the "cliffhanger" summer), when I was living in New York City, there was a van parked in front of my apartment with a bumper sticker that said "Free Jessica Tate!" It turns out that Ms. Helmond lived just a few doors up the street from me. I encountered her and her husband one evening.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Ah Soap. Silly, but with some truly revolutionary plot lines for the 1970s.

The openly gay character is Jodie, played by Billy Crystal in the role that catapulted him to stardom.

Other interesting characters are the uppity black butler, Benson, played by the inimitable Robert Guillaume; Father Timothy, a priest who leaves the priesthood to marry Jessica's (the Katherine Helmond character's) daughter -- she gives birth to a child possessed by demons; Chuck and Bob (ventriloquist and dummy) -- Chuck the mild-mannered introvert, Bob the abrasive and rude pain in the neck through whom Chuck always speaks, to the point where you think Bob is a real person; and El Puerco (better known as El), a Central American revolutionary, a thinly disguised Che Guevara, who kidnaps Jessica but falls in love with her before marching her before a firing squad. (I believe this is the episode that spurred the "Free Jessica Tate" bumper sticker you refer to, Pigwidgeon. It is also the episode that caused the show's abrupt cancellation after sponsors began to pull out.)

The show was condemned by the Roman Catholic Church, so you know it had to be good!

Sleep well, dear Jessica. Fond memories will linger.
    Actually, the "Free Jessica Tate" bumper sticker was at the end of the first season, which ended with her being arrested and jailed for murder.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I was too young to see Soap in its glory, and I'm pretty sure my parents would not have appreciated it. However, a friend at school had more liberal parents, and was one of those surprise children born many years after his older siblings. He used to rave about it, and as I idolised him I felt that I somehow managed to imbibe the spirit of the show. I still remember my friend savagely deconstructing Show and Tell in grade 2, by proudly pulling out his pocket handkerchief and proclaiming, 'My brother calls a handkerchief a snot rag.' How we laughed.

Soap went on repeat in the 1980's I think, and I got to watch a few episodes then. It was hilarious. Every now and then I watch scenes on youtube.

One of my clients is an American sitcoms addict, so I have also seen Katherine Helmond in other shows. In Who's the Boss, a quite execrable programme otherwise, she was a standout.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Soap - I was in my teens in the 70s, and its outrageously silly plot lines appealed to my sense of humour.

RIP Jessica.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Interesting how so many Brits paying tribute to him on Facebook have either mentioned or linked to the Morecambe and Wise sketch - it's sort of ingrained in the British psyche, even though it was getting on for 50 years ago.
    Goes with:
    "Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window?"
    and
    "'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!"
    and
    "Four candles".

Interesting how so many Brits paying tribute to him on Facebook have either mentioned or linked to the Morecambe and Wise sketch - it's sort of ingrained in the British psyche, even though it was getting on for 50 years ago.
    Goes with:
    "Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window?"
    and
    "'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!"
    and
    "Four candles".
    Many Americans will recognize the Torquay (Fawlty Towers) and Dead Parrot (Monty Python) references as well -- the others not as much. They weren't shown on American television as much as FT and MP.

• TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    Not all things are obvious.

A medical friend remembers well a particularly obtuse fellow student being asked (through gritted teeth) by a lecturer what he would expect to find in an apple pie and getting the answer cloves :grin:
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Keith Flint, lead singer of The Prodigy, has died. He was 49.
    Sipech wrote: »
    Keith Flint, lead singer of The Prodigy, has died. He was 49.

That is younger than me, which makes he very young. And the suggestions are that he took his own life. Very sad - musically, he has inspired many, including me.
    RIP dancer, singer and arsonist Keith Flint of The Prodigy who helped make electronic dance music mainstream.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Luke Perry has died. It's always sad to see such young people dying so suddenly.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited March 7
    Alex Trebek, the host of the US game show Jeopardy has just announced he has stage IV pancreatic cancer. He may not make it to 2020. He is Canadian, BTW.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    John Habgood Archbishop of York from 1983-1995 died yesterday aged 91.
  • Light UserLight User Shipmate
    One of my A-list celebrity picks, Armenian Patriarch Mesrob II of Constantinople, has succumbed from dementia, aged 62.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/armenian-patriarch-in-turkey-mesrob-ii-dies-at-62/
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    That is young to die of dementia.
    I was thinking that, Baker - he was only five years older than me. :cry:
    I was thinking that, Baker - he was only five years older than me. :cry:
    Five years younger than me.
    :anguished:

• Light UserLight User Shipmate
    Scottish serial killer Angus Sinclair has died in prison. Apparently he took part in a jail sweepstake held a few days ago predicting exactly when he would expire, so I guess he wouldn't have minded being on my list.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Light User wrote: »
    Scottish serial killer Angus Sinclair has died in prison. Apparently he took part in a jail sweepstake held a few days ago predicting exactly when he would expire, so I guess he wouldn't have minded being on my list.

So how would he collect if he won? :trollface:
  • With all the upheaval surrounding the Algerian presidential election, there is a conspiracy theory doing the rounds that Abdelaziz Bouteflika is dead.

I don’t think it’s true, but I shall watch with interest. :naughty:
    I just saw that Jack Lyon has died - the last member of the Great Escape team (the real one, not the film version).

I think he is worth noting here, because, as the article mentions, these people were real heroes, fighting whatever for freedom, and they are almost gone. All we have left if the rose-tinted nostalgia of those days.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Belgian cardinal Godfried Danneels. I think think he was on the papabile shortlist once.
    Charlie Whiting has died suddenly. He was the man who ran Formula 1 from a rules perspective - he was the starter, and the one who decided (ultimately) the rights and wrongs of any dispute.

Very important man in the sport. And someone who was hugely respected by all the drivers. A sad loss (even though I no longer watch it).
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Former U.S. Senator Birch Bayh of Indiana has died. He's notable for authoring Title IX of the Higher Education Act of 1965, which forbids gender discrimination in higher education institutions that receive federal funding. He also wrote the Twenty-Fifth and Twenty-Sixth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, the only non-Founding-Father to write more than one successful Constitutional amendment.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    He hasn't been mentioned yet, but American economist Alan Krueger died last week. His death was apparently a suicide.

For those who are interested in such things, friend and fellow economist Paul Krugman shares his thoughts on Krueger and his work in the New York Times.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    This name may not mean much to some Shipmates but Dame Mary Warnock has died either yesterday or in the last few days. She was 94.

Here's another article about her from the same source by Andrew Brown.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Dame Mary Warnock had a huge influence on the support given for students with special needs - being unpicked now - before she led the Human Fertilisation and Embryology committees. So much service.
    No words.

A musical genius. Superbly dark and intense. May he rest in peace - a peace he never found in life.
  • And now we hear that for Scott Walker the sun really ain't gonna shine anymore.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited March 26
    Fred Malek, official Jew counter for President Richard Nixon, will now be counting Jews in the great beyond.

The best obituary title for Malek that I've come across was over at Talking Points Memo.
    Fred Malek: He Counted.
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    Ranking Roger has died. He made music fun when I was growing up.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Michel Bacos, the pilot of the Air France flight hijacked to Entebbe, has flown off into the sunset.
    It is not entirely "celebrity", and I am pretty sure nobody had them but the band Her's, who played at Greenbelt last year have been killed along with their tour manager.

This seems like a place to remember them.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Two deaths from very different areas of the world of film today. Agnès Varda, a director of French New Wave cinema, has died. So has Ed Westcott, who documented the Manhattan Project at Oak Ridge, Tennessee with still photos.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    Wonderful tributes to Agnès Varda coming from across the Europe and the United States -- her videoed interviews are worth watching.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Here to report that Scott Tracy, pilot of Thunderbird One and the eldest of the Tracy brothers, has died - or at least, Shane Rimmer did, who provided his voice.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Stand-up comic, Ian Cognito, has died on stage.
    I'd never come across him before, but I can't help feeling worried that they're describing a 60-year-old as "veteran".

I'm 57 ... :flushed:
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Richard Cole, the last living Doolittle Raider, has flown into the sunset.