2019 Celebrity Deathpool

Comments

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Former Peruvian President Alan García is dead. Official accounts say he committed suicide by gunshot when police served him with an arrest warrant on charges of bribery and corruption.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Never heard of her but Mya-Lecia Naylor has died at age 16. She was a CBBC star, apparently.

That is far too young to die.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    It certainly is - may she rest in peace. :cry:
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Billy McNeill, who captained the Celtic team that was the first British team to win the European Cup, has died at 79.

The team was often referred to as "The Lisbon Lions" and all of the starting eleven were Scotland internationals (that doesn't sound much now, but in those days they regularly beat England).
  • Edward Kelsey has died aged 88 - he played Joe Grundy in The Archers for 34 years, but also various Dr Who roles.
  • The death has been announced of Heather Harper.

She had a wonderful tone and I was fortunate enough to see her at the ROH several times. The heavenly choirs have gained a magnificent soprano.
    I've seen several nice comments about her on FB from friends in Northern Ireland, where she came from.

May she rest in peace.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Former U.S. Senator Thad Cochran, who was on my list last year but not this year, has been reported dead. Luckily for Mr. Cochran and his family that report is completely false.
    In a recorded snippet from [ Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert ] Hosemann's guest lecture to the class sent to the Clarion Ledger, a student asked Hosemann, "How close are you and Mr. Thad Cochran?"

"He's deceased, so I'm not real close," Hosemann said, drawing some laughter from the audience. He then went on to extol Cochran's leadership, but in the past tense.

Cochran, 81, is not deceased. He's retired, having resigned from office about a year ago due to health issues, after serving in the Senate since 1978.

"I just left Thad Cochran, and he's very much alive," Cochran former Chief of Staff Brad White said on Thursday. "We were talking about vacancies on the court — he was asking me specifically about the 5th Circuit — and other issues. He was sitting at a table eating an apple. I just left."
    Was it Mark Twain who said, "rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated"?

I wish Mr. Cochran a long and happy retirement!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Peter Mayhew has died. :cry:
    He portrayed a magnificent Wookiee.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    The death of Roger Moore, of James Bond fame, has been announced.
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    That announcement has taken a while to arrive - he died in 2017.
    The Rogue wrote: »
    That announcement has taken a while to arrive - he died in 2017.

So on the one hand, the death has been announced of someone who has not died, while the death is announced of someone who died two years ago (and who's death was widely reported then).

What has happened to sub-editors? I know style and grammar are important but they used to check facts too? Spillchucker can't do that.
  • I suspect the Roger Moore announcement was a Facebook flash back today - it came up when I searched.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited May 3
    The angels have been dancing samba since last Tuesday, when Beth Carvalho joined them. She will be missed.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Since no one else mentioned it, writer/director/producer John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood, 2 Fast 2 Furious) died Monday when his family removed him from life support following a stroke.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    I suspect the Roger Moore announcement was a Facebook flash back today - it came up when I searched.

Oops, actually I had read it on the BBC news site but I didn't check the date.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Peter Mayhew, Chewbaca, has taken his last voyage. Generations will miss him.
    Just heard that the writer Rachael Held Evans has died.

:cry:
    Jean Varnier has died.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    Comedian Freddie Starr is reported to have died, but is not confirmed (at time of posting)
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    Comedian Freddie Starr is reported to have died, but is not confirmed (at time of posting)

It seems to be true. Time for the hamsters to get their own back.
    The news of Freddie Starr's death came up on a friend's timeline on Facebook last night, but I didn't want to sully these boards with a link to the Sun. :innocent:

He was never really on my TV radar - did he even have his own show? I was only really aware of him because of the hamster story, and wondered why any newspaper* would write such a load of tosh.

The headline did, however, inspire the tongue-in-cheek title of a collection of newspaper articles by journalist and former minister of St. Magnus Cathedral Ron Ferguson: Donald Dewar** Ate My Hamster.

* I use the word in its loosest sense

** former First Minister of Scotland
    balaam wrote: »

I know it is fake, but it is still the only thing most people know about him.

He was, from my recollection, a mid-level comedian. I think he had a show, he did various stuff. I don't think I ever heard him. I am not sure I have missed anything.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Jean Varnier has died.

"Vanier".

I confess hadn't heard of her; I remember Twin Peaks being on TV but never watched it. What a beautiful lady - in the picture in Kyzyl's link she must have been over 60, but she'd pass for 30.
  • KyzylKyzyl Shipmate
    Piglet, you may have heard of her daughter, Rashida Jones.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    3 points to anyone who had Doris Day on their list. What a mighty fine innings that was.
    Indeed - she would definitely have been on my "I thought they'd been dead for years" list.

May she rest in peace.
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    How many celbrities that count for points have died?
    I'll have a look at that but not until the weekend.
    I think we lost dozens in 2017, so the field was culled considerbly. Many who now "die" do so for the second, or even third time.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »
    I think we lost dozens in 2017, so the field was culled considerbly. Many who now "die" do so for the second, or even third time.

I understand the second death as an eschatological statement. Not sure about the third.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    edited May 15
    Tim Conway has passed away. He was hilarious on the "Carol Burnett Show". So long World's Oldest Man. :pensive:

[edited to fix broken link - Piglet, Circus host]
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I would like the Power that Is to consider awarding points from next year if someone's death is announced in a major media outlet and later withdrawn as a false report. I suggest the awarding of half the points the competitor would receive if the incorrectly deceased person died.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    A "close but no cigar" award?
    That's a reasonable idea - what do you think, @The Rogue?
    I wasn't too interested until WK gave it a name which was brilliant. I'll work something out for next year and see if I can get sponsorship from the estate of Mark Twain.
    To make it easier - you could make it a single award - the first (or last) such announcement.
    There might need to be bonus points if it happens more than once to the same celebrity.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Well, it's bound to happen at least twice: the dress rehearsal and then opening (that is to say, closing :astonished: ) night.
  • 11 points to me, and I think someone else had him too.
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    Dal Segno and Light User
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    No points for anyone, but architect I.M. Pei has died at 102.
    No points to anyone for a number of reason but Grumpy Cat has died but will always live on as a meme.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited May 17
    Simon Toad wrote: »

My earliest real-time memory of Australian politics was Hawke crying in public, because an opposition leader named Peacocke made reference to Hawke's daughter being a drug addict.

A few years later, he broke into tears and bellowed "I've cheated on Hazel!" when the press revealed that he had had extramarital affairs. However, from what I've read on the internet, his marriage to Hazel was pretty much just being carried on for show by that point, and he was quite cheerfully devoting most of his amorous energies to other women, that I wonder if the tears were a little forced.