2019 Celebrity Deathpool

Comments

• PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    American author Herman Wouk has died at 103 -- no points.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    30 points for anyone who had Niki Lauda.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Children's author Judith Kerr has died, aged 95. She was on my 2017 list.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    American football legend Bart Starr (he was the MVP of Superbowls I and II) passed on Sunday.
  • Scientist, author and creator of aliens Jack Cohen died on May 6th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Cohen_(scientist)

AG
  • Don't know if anyone picked-up on this at the time but Cliff Barnes, Ken Kercheval died back in April.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    This was a passing that didn't seem to hit the headlines. One of the pioneers of modern particle physics, Murray Gell-Man has died aged 89. He coined the term 'quark' and won the Nobel Prize.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Sipech wrote: »
    This was a passing that didn't seem to hit the headlines. One of the pioneers of modern particle physics, Murray Gell-Man has died aged 89. He coined the term 'quark' and won the Nobel Prize.

I didn't hear about him. And yes, I had heard of him. One of a few really important people in the development of our modern understanding of Physics.
    Avon has died.

Orac will be annoyed.
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    Maida Heatter has died. I have two of her cookbooks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/dining/maida-heatter-chocolate-torte.html
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Musician Mac Rebennack, better known as "Dr. John", died on Thursday. Naturally he got a full New Orleans send off.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Economist Martin Feldstein has died.
  • The opera and cinema worlds are in mourning for one of the true "greats": Franco Zeffirelli, director of an acclaimed Romeo and Juliet in the 1960s, his Taming of the Shrew with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor is still IMHO one of the best Shakespeare films ever. And the semi-autobiographical Tea with Mussolini is also a splendid film.

His opera productions were also ravishing - the 1982 film of La Traviata with Placido Domingo and Teresa Stratas is still, I think, one of the most successful opera films ever. I was lucky enough to go to see his Turandot at the Met in New York back in the 1980s - just wonderful.
    I think he'd have been on my "not dead already?" pile: not unreasonable considering he was 96.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    The angels are wearing over-priced jeans, Gloria Vanderbilt dies
  • Well, I must be an angel -- I'm wearing a pair of her jeans. They used to be plentiful and not over-priced. (I still have a couple of pairs that are so worn that I only wear them at home, but being so worn they are so soft and comfortable.)
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Well, I must be an angel -- I'm wearing a pair of her jeans. They used to be plentiful and not over-priced. (I still have a couple of pairs that are so worn that I only wear them at home, but being so worn they are so soft and comfortable.)
    My understanding from olde...erm, people with more temporal experience than I, that they were expensive when they were first introduced.
    I guess this is one way of getting out of prison, former Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi dies during trial.
  • The conditions that Morsi has been held under have been described as equivalent to torture, not only by people like Amnesty but even Conservative MPs. And people seem to forget that, like it or not, he is and always will be the first Egyptian president to be elected, rather than imposed by a coup.
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Well, I must be an angel -- I'm wearing a pair of her jeans. They used to be plentiful and not over-priced. (I still have a couple of pairs that are so worn that I only wear them at home, but being so worn they are so soft and comfortable.)
    My understanding from olde...erm, people with more temporal experience than I, that they were expensive when they were first introduced.

Being a Person of Experience - they were. At a time when you would pay £5-10 for a pair, they were £50. More importantly, she was the person who introduced the idea of paying extra for a "designer" label. Rather than paying for the label because the quality and style would be better.
  • This must be a Pond difference. When I was buying a lot of her jeans there's no way I would (or could) have paid the equivalent of £50, or even $50. It seems to me they were about $20 (which was just over £10 in those days), but were often on sale for less.
    I remember Gloria Vanderbilt stretch jeans becoming available in the UK - maybe about 35 years ago? - and they were expensive but I don't know that they were as bad as that. £50 would have been about a week's salary for me in those days, and I wouldn't have even considred paying that much. I have a feeling I might have had a pair, but I honestly can't remember!

<senior moment>
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    I'm sure you looked fetching in them regardless of price -- especially if they were stretch jeans. :wink:
  • Gloria Vanderbilt jeans were about £50 a pair in the UK, at the same time as I was buying Brutus Gold jeans at £10 a pair from a jeans warehouse.
    I definitely had a pair of Brutus Gold - as I recall, they were made of such stiff denim they could almost stand up by themselves!
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    This must be a Pond difference. When I was buying a lot of her jeans there's no way I would (or could) have paid the equivalent of £50, or even $50. It seems to me they were about $20 (which was just over £10 in those days), but were often on sale for less.

Indeed there is. Levis, for example, are regarded as everyday working wear in the USA but they are premium goods in the UK thanks to brand maintenance, (unless you know someone in the US armed forces willing to get you a cheap pair from the PX, but that is risky).
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    I somehow missed this from a couple weeks ago, but former U.S. Senator Thad Cochran has died. I mentioned a false report of his death back in April, but I guess the report wasn't so much wrong as premature. Given a long enough time frame that could be said of everyone I suppose.
  • Maybe not a "celebrity" but certainly notable, the historian Professor Norman Stone has died.
    Just wondering, if Ryan Reynolds died, would that be a Deadpool Deathpool?

(I watched the film yesterday. I know I am behind the times. In so many ways.)
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    I just found out that Edward Seaga, the conservative(despite his party's name) PM of Jamaica died last month.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    https://cnn.com/2019/06/26/entertainment/beth-chapman-obit/index.htmlBeth Chapman of "Dog the Bounty Hunter" has died of throat cancer. She was a tiger on the hunt for fugitives and had less of a soft heart than her husband, although once she had sorted out any disrespect shown to herself or her family she would relent from her anger.

Sorry about the link. I once had it down. :blush:
    Lee Iacocca has died. Does he go to Heaven for developing the Mustang or Hell for fighting the installation of airbags?
  • And Christopher Booker the founding editor of Private Eye, aged 81.
    edited July 2019
    Arte Johnson

He was one of those ubiquitous b-list entertainers that people my age grew up seeing all over the media in the late 1970s, without really knowing quite who he was. I also remember people of that era using "Very interesing" as a catch-phrase, without any real context.

It wasn't until American TV from Spokane started re-running Laugh-In in the 1980s that I made the relevant connections.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Verrrrrrrrrry Interesting!
  • Was he not The Dirty Old Man as well? Skit with Ruth (Burley?)?
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    21 points for anyone who picked John McCririck.
  • Was he not The Dirty Old Man as well? Skit with Ruth (Burley?)?

Yes, he was -- with Ruth Buzzi.

When I was in high school (age 13-17) I had no interest in television, but once they started "Laugh-In" I never missed it.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Was he not The Dirty Old Man as well? Skit with Ruth (Burley?)?

Yes, he was -- with Ruth Buzzi.

When I was in high school (age 13-17) I had no interest in television, but once they started "Laugh-In" I never missed it.

I think he was Henry Gibson too.

“Worms, by Henry Gibson.
    I cannot come to terms
    With worms.”
  • Henry Gibson was a different person. I loved them both!

Ruth, Henry, and Arte
  • Ah! Thank you for the clarification!
    I also confused Henry Gibson with Arte Johnson, specifically thinking for many years that this was Arte Johnson playing the head Nazi. I think that's because someone told me it was when I watched the scene on TV once, but also, it would have made a certain sense if it had been Arte.

Plus, they do kind of look alike.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    Yes, thanks for clearing that up. They do look very alike.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Chega de Saudade (No More Blues). Bossa Nova singer João Gilberto just died at the age of 88.
    Lyda wrote: »
    https://cnn.com/2019/06/26/entertainment/beth-chapman-obit/index.htmlBeth Chapman of "Dog the Bounty Hunter" has died of throat cancer. She was a tiger on the hunt for fugitives and had less of a soft heart than her husband, although once she had sorted out any disrespect shown to herself or her family she would relent from her anger.

Sorry about the link. I once had it down. :blush:

Sorry - just catching up - this is sad. She was an amazing character.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Ross Perot, third party presidential candidate in 1992 and 1996, has died. Although he never won a single electoral vote, in terms of the popular vote Perot's 1992 run was the most successful third party presidential candidacy since 1912.
  • BakerBaker Shipmate
    I voted for Perot in 1992. I liked his ideas, and I admired the blunt speech of his VP pick. Adm.(Ret.) James Stockdale. I remember the VP debate, with Al Gore, Dan Quayle, and Stockdale. When the issue of abortion came up Gore and Quayle gave long, weasel worded responses. Stockdale looked at the moderator and gave his response in one sentence. I believe that what a woman does with her body is her business, period. When the obviously astonished moderator looked at him, he repeated Period. You may not have agreed with him, as I did, but you sure knew where he stood.
    Have a black suit, white shirt and dark sunglasses? MIB is taking applications as Rip Torn has turned in his resignation.
  • Baker wrote: »
    I voted for Perot in 1992. I liked his ideas, and I admired the blunt speech of his VP pick. Adm.(Ret.) James Stockdale. I remember the VP debate, with Al Gore, Dan Quayle, and Stockdale. When the issue of abortion came up Gore and Quayle gave long, weasel worded responses. Stockdale looked at the moderator and gave his response in one sentence. I believe that what a woman does with her body is her business, period. When the obviously astonished moderator looked at him, he repeated Period. You may not have agreed with him, as I did, but you sure knew where he stood.

I remember that debate. My thought was Holy crap. I actually know what he thinks! It was like (in a good way) being doused with ice water.