2019 Celebrity Deathpool

Comments

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Have a black suit, white shirt and dark sunglasses? MIB is taking applications as Rip Torn has turned in his resignation.

Ah, well. I remember having him on a previous years list.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I voted for Perot also. I think he would have made an excellent President. No-nonsense, spoke his mind, did what he thought best. Sort of like an honest, moral you-know-who.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Baker wrote: »
    I voted for Perot in 1992. I liked his ideas, and I admired the blunt speech of his VP pick. Adm.(Ret.) James Stockdale. I remember the VP debate, with Al Gore, Dan Quayle, and Stockdale. When the issue of abortion came up Gore and Quayle gave long, weasel worded responses. Stockdale looked at the moderator and gave his response in one sentence. I believe that what a woman does with her body is her business, period. When the obviously astonished moderator looked at him, he repeated Period. You may not have agreed with him, as I did, but you sure knew where he stood.

I remember that debate. My thought was Holy crap. I actually know what he thinks! It was like (in a good way) being doused with ice water.

Yeah, that was a good reply.

Though I wonder what he would have said if the moderator had asked him "Okay, so does that mean you'd support repealing the Hyde Amendment?"

edited July 10
    Rip Torn has died

That article includes a YouTube clip of Torn actually wacking Norman Mailer on the head with a hammer(the fun starts at about 1: 40). The context was, it was an experimental film about a presidential candidacy. and Torn was supposed to improvise an assassination attempt. Obviously, Mailer had intended it to be entirely simulated.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Not the popular choice, but my favorite Rip Torn movie is "Defending Your Life." Brave enough for you?
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    Not the popular choice, but my favorite Rip Torn movie is "Defending Your Life." Brave enough for you?

I've seen that movie, but all I can really remember is Brooks heckling the comic in heaven.
    "He died on stage. Like you."

Apart from that, I paid scant attention to Torn's career, but I guess I'd say my favorite film was Marie Antoinette, if only because it's the only one where I can really remember anything about his performance. And it's a pretty good film, besides.

edited July 14
    One of my favorite lines is delivered by Torn:
    Brooks: So I am being put on trial for being afraid?
    Torn: First, I don't like to call it a trial. Second, yes.

• lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    Johnny Clegg reunites with Dudu Zulu and maybe a duet with Madiba.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Former justice John Paul Stevens, who led the Supreme Court’s liberal wing before his retirement in 2010, has died at 99. His 35-year tenure was one of the longest in the history of the Supreme Court.

(Here's hoping RBG can break all records!)
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Former justice John Paul Stevens, who led the Supreme Court’s liberal wing before his retirement in 2010, has died at 99. His 35-year tenure was one of the longest in the history of the Supreme Court.

For the record John Paul Stevens' tenure (12,611 days) was the third longest in Supreme Court history. It was exceeded only by Lincoln appointee Stephen Field (12,614 days) and William O. Douglas (13,358 days).

To beat Stephens Ginsburg would have to serve until at least 20 February 2028. To break all records she'd have to be on the court until at least 8 March 2030.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate

Is there a mandatory retirement age for SCJs? 90 is good going, almost as long as Her Majesty who is 93 (although she has served since 1952 (67 years),
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »

Is there a mandatory retirement age for SCJs? 90 is good going, almost as long as Her Majesty who is 93 (although she has served since 1952 (67 years),
    If the West Wing has taught me anything, the answer is 'no'. It's a lifetime appointment that no one can take away from them.

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate

My Facebook filled with tributes to Johnny Clegg, a great loss for all of us who came of age in the 1980s and the anti-apartheid movement.

My Facebook stream filled with tributes to Johnny Clegg. A great loss to all of us who came of age in the 1980s and the anti-apartheid movement.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    He played in mixed bands when this was forbidden during Apartheid. One fucking courageous guy.
  • Yeah, indeed. Poor Johnny. We were the better for having him among us.
    The angels are doing the Cissy Strut, Art Neville joins brother Charles.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
    Actor Rutger Hauer has died aged 75.
  • And what a great piece of semi-improvisation that was. Deserves a link.
  • edited July 25
    Sipech wrote: »
    Actor Rutger Hauer has died aged 75.

Raising a Guinness in his memory.
  • LuciaLucia Shipmate
    The oldest sitting president in the world, Beji Caid Essebsi President of Tunisia, has died. My previous home will have an interesting time of transition ahead.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-africa-49111905
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Harold Prince https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/entertainment/harold-prince-obit-trnd/index.html the king of Broadway musicals has taken his bows over the foot lights.
    D.A. Pennebaker

Directed the famous film of Dylan holding up the various cue cards. Other than that, I think The War Room is the only thing I've seen by him.
    Eutychus wrote: »
    And what a great piece of semi-improvisation that was. Deserves a link.

He was also in a really bad crime-thriller called Bone Daddy, one of those crappy, low-budget things that American studios were filming in Canada at the time. Typical 1990s serial-killer schlock.

(Just thought I'd be a jerk and mention that.)

stetson wrote: »
    Eutychus wrote: »
    And what a great piece of semi-improvisation that was. Deserves a link.

He was also in a really bad crime-thriller called Bone Daddy, one of those crappy, low-budget things that American studios were filming in Canada at the time. Typical 1990s serial-killer schlock.

(Just thought I'd be a jerk and mention that.)
    His output was...eclectic. But that is not unusual for the non-A listers. Starring roles in Hollywood are fairly scarce.

• edited August 5
    Harley Race

Pro wrestler Harley Race dies age 76
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    The American novelist, Toni Morrison, had died at the age of 88.
    She is now the visiting ghost. Real tears of sadness at the loss and a real smile for a talent well used
    I posted elsewhere about Toni Morrison's death, wanting to sit down again and read all the books from The Bluest Eye, Sula to Beloved and Song of Solomon that have influenced so many of us through the years.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Jeffrey Epstein has been found dead in the jail where he was being held.

The most tragic thing, IMO, is that his accusers will not be able to face him in a trial.

I am refraining from adding my thoughts here.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    A prime example of "death is too good for him".
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    jedijudy wrote: »

I suspect very few people will believe with certainty that there was no conspiracy involved in this.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »

I suspect very few people will believe with certainty that there was no conspiracy involved in this.

I think Epstein was aware that he would be a marked man in any jail, so it's no surpise that he is dead. Maybe it wasn't suicide, but it was perhaps inevitable.
  • Crœsos wrote: »

It's going to be like trying to solve the murder on the Orient Express. From the news coverage I've seen, it looks like there are very few wealthy/powerful people in the Western world who wouldn't want him silenced.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    It's going to be like trying to solve the murder on the Orient Express. From the news coverage I've seen, it looks like there are very few wealthy/powerful people in the Western world who wouldn't want [ Epstein ] silenced.

On the other hand maybe those folks were simply counting on the malicious incompetence (and incompetent malice) of the American carceral state to do the dirty work for them.
    The two staff members who were guarding the jail unit where Jeffrey Epstein apparently killed himself fell asleep and failed to check on him for about three hours, then falsified records to cover up their mistake, according to several law enforcement and prison officials with knowledge of the matter.
  • The latest on Epstein is that some of the bones in his neck are broken, leading to the suggestion that he was strangled.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Princess Christina. RIP.
    The latest on Epstein is that some of the bones in his neck are broken, leading to the suggestion that he was strangled.
    From The New York Times:
    Marcella Sorg, a forensic anthropologist, cautioned against drawing any direct conclusions solely from the fact that Mr. Epstein’s hyoid bone was broken.

“It’s not a slam dunk,” said Ms. Sorg, who teaches at the University of Maine and does forensic work in various states. In an interview, she said a broken hyoid is “a sign of neck trauma. Neck trauma can occur due to a strangulation. It can also occur during a suicide hanging.”
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Easy Rider Peter Fonda has died.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I was surprised at how sad I felt about Peter Fonda's death. I loved that movie and watched it several times over the years.
  • Informtion on Princess Christina.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    The King of Hay, Richard Booth, died on Tuesday, aged 80. He made Hay on Wye into the first "book town".
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    David Koch has died. I'm not sure if he counts as a "celebrity" since he tried to exert his influence behind the scenes. For those unfamiliar with him he's most notable for poisoning American politics with dark money and poisoning the planet with carbon emissions and other byproducts of fossil fuels. Truly a legacy that will long outlive him. His brother and partner in those projects, Charles, lives on to pursue this "great work".
  • Priscilla wrote: »
    The King of Hay, Richard Booth, died on Tuesday, aged 80. He made Hay on Wye into the first "book town".

Thank you, Mr. Booth. May you RIPARIG!

I visited Hay on Wye several years ago, but a day trip is too short.

• Crœsos wrote: »
    David Koch has died. I'm not sure if he counts as a "celebrity" since he tried to exert his influence behind the scenes. For those unfamiliar with him he's most notable for poisoning American politics with dark money and poisoning the planet with carbon emissions and other byproducts of fossil fuels. Truly a legacy that will long outlive him. His brother and partner in those projects, Charles, lives on to pursue this "great work".
    I'm afraid I'm not shedding any tears for Mr. Koch. Unfortunately, he probably left his fortune to atrocious causes.
    Crœsos wrote: »
    No mourning here.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    None here either.
    I'm afraid I'm not shedding any tears for Mr. Koch. Unfortunately, he probably left his fortune to atrocious causes.
    According to the BBC write-up, he did contribute to non-atrocious causes, such as the arts (New York's Lincoln Center) and cancer research and the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

He did fund several atrocious causes too, of course, and I also will lose no sleep over his passing, but it is perhaps worth noting that not everything he did was pure irredeemable evil.

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    No mourning here.
    Piglet wrote: »
    None here either.
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    He did fund several atrocious causes too, of course, and I also will lose no sleep over his passing, but it is perhaps worth noting that not everything he did was pure irredeemable evil.

Not a wet eye in the house.

And "not everything he did was pure irredeemable evil" seems to be the textbook example of praising with faint damns.
  • The Duke of Roxburghe, owner of Scotland's most beautiful house, has died.