Another Australian Politician

2»

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I'll be voting above the line for the Senate, and think I'll find enough I can half-tolerate without having to go to Hanson's mob.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Agree with GeeD that enough groups should be able to be found without you having to foul your paper and your conscience by giving Hanson a number, however large. That said, I do like giving certain groups very large numbers as a form of me giving the silent finger to them.

If I stopped numbering, say, after 6, it is possible that by the time they get to my vote none of the candidates I listed had enough of a quota to get in. In that case I am in effect saying I don't care who gets in afterwards and the rest of the population can decide -- which may be true once you reach #65 or so, if you go below the line, but is probably not true at #6. But I'd agree if you're a above the line person you may want to go a bit above 6. 6 is the magic number as if you dwell in a state you send 12 senators (2 each for the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory). As, unless we have a double dissolution like we did in 2016, half the senators are up for re-election at any one time, you get 6.

On Hanson's "poor me" act, I am filled with rage. This woman is one of the most divisive and ill-thinking humans (used loosely) to ever set foot on this planet. Big call I know, but she, to me, is utterly reprehensible. The media has, in turns, both reviled her and given her a platform for her views (often the same medium), so for her to say she is hard done by is laughable. I hold no hope -- as despite what happens or what she vomits forth, she arises anew each time, egged on by sections of the media -- but my wish is that she crashes and burns this election and leaves politics, and my eardrums, for good.
    edited May 1
    Always good to pat yourself on the back.

(my self-imposed Guardian exile to try and read less lefty news* has not survived the election build-up...)

* and there is a reason "peak Guardian" is a term... :wink:
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    My wife reckons we might be voting electronically in Paris. That will be fun!
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    I was surprised to learn that one son and I both had fun deciding who would be numbered last on Senate paper. So many worthy candidates for the position.
    They're not all nutjobs, but today's Crikey gave a list of those we've lost so far this election...

Strip club and foul comments: 1

Anti-Islam/homophobic actions/comments: 2

Believing in lizard people and the Jewish conspiracy: 1

Palestinian support (being a distraction): 1

Section 44 -- thought that was over? (dual nationals): 6, maybe 7

Government employee: 1
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Lizard people and the Jewish conspiracy??? I'd have thought that lizards weren't kosher, no real reason to be save the scales.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Of course, scales are safe - but are lizards kosher?
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Only in the Territory...
    edited May 2
    Indeed. And no idea re kosher lizards...

For those wondering:
    Wayne Kurnoth — Labor

A Northern Territory candidate has been dumped by the Labor Party after it emerged that he shared a post by David Icke, an anti-Semitic conspiracy theorist who believes the world is under the control of reptiles masking themselves as Jews. The post, shared in 2015, was a conspiracy about the Rothschild banking family.

So I was hasty in attributing lizard beliefs to Wayne; he just likes comments from those who subscribe to them.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    I was surprised to learn that one son and I both had fun deciding who would be numbered last on Senate paper. So many worthy candidates for the position.

In the ACT, there is a campaign to "Vote alphabetical: Put Zed Last" . Zed (the name everyone except maybe his mother knows him as ) is a right-winger who has scraped in on preferences as the lone Liberal Senator for the ACT in the last few elections, being top of their ticket.

As there are only 17 candidates for the two ACT Senate seats, it is easy to vote below the line here, so many (including me) will vote all the way down to 17 just for the pleasure of putting him last.

Pacific islands will survive climate crisis because they 'pick our fruit', Australia's deputy PM says.
    “They’ll continue to survive because many of their workers come here and pick our fruit, pick our fruit grown with hard Australian enterprise and endeavour and we welcome them and we always will."

To quote Elaine from Seinfeld: "I am speechless; I am without speech."
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Whaat a thoughtless, undiplomatic, supremacist comment. How could he?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    So will they come and pick the fruit then go back to their underwater islands or will they be accommodated in the same gracious way asylum seekers are?
  • To quote Elaine from Seinfeld: STELLAAAAA!
  • This came up in news here. A man who deserves to have his children hate him.