January Book Club - Cold Comfort Farm

AndrasAndras Shipmate
The book chosen for reading and discussion this month is Stella Gibbons’ classic comedy Cold Comfort Farm.

This is one of those perennials that’s easy to pick up second-hand (thanks, Oxfam!) though there are plenty of new editions around, including from Penguin; it’s also available for download from Kindle if that’s your preference.

It’s not by any means the longest book around – certainly far shorter than last month’s book – so take your time over it and enjoy! And there’s a specially warm welcome to anyone who hasn’t joined in these little discussions before – there’s nothing too formal, there are no right or wrong answers, we just enjoy sharing our ideas.

I aim to start the discussion around the 21st, but please feel free to post your thoughts at any time.

And A Very Happy New Year to all our gallant readers!

Comments

• Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host, 8th Day Host
    I read it a long time ago, but will try to join in the discussion.
  • Back in my Young Farmers days a friend threw a big party themed as the Starkadder's ball at Cold Comfort Farm - the booby prize at the raffle was to go and see what was lurking in the woodshed!

AG
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I'm about half way through, so will be joining in.
  • I'll get an audio copy straight away and listen again. I just loved it when I read it some years ago. I want to know, too, if the sentence, 'I'm not long for this world,' is actually there, or have I just imagined it, or heard it in another context. I've decided to go around saying this in suitably non-optimistic - but jolly - tones!!
  • FirenzeFirenze Heaven Host
    I can’t say I remember the phrase in CCF particularly. But in my Ulster childhood there was a local comedian one of whose characters was a Belfast wifie with the catchphrase ‘Ach, Sadie, I’m not long for this world!’
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    wquote="SwsanDoris;c-100753"]I'll get an audio copy straight away and listen again. I just loved it when I read it some years ago. I want to know, too, if the sentence, 'I'm not long for this world,' is actually there, or have I just imagined it, or heard it in another context. I've decided to go around saying this in suitably non-optimistic - but jolly - tones!![/quote]

Not as far as I recall, but if I come upon it I'll let you know.

The phrase that everyone knows, of course, is Something nasty in the woodshed!
  • MaramaMarama Shipmate
    I'm in for this month's book discussion. I read Cold Comfort Farm last year when I was leading Precious Bane and enjoyed the contrast. But it deserves a discussion of its own - off to find my copy.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited January 9
    I hope the local library's copy will be returned early and I can get it before the end of the month.

edit: is the Christmas novel worth a read, too? The library has it.
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    Climacus wrote: »
    I hope the local library's copy will be returned early and I can get it before the end of the month.

edit: is the Christmas novel worth a read, too? The library has it.

Yes, I thought so. Quite a long read, though, but I enjoyed it as Comfort Reading at a time of long nights and short days.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    @Climacus I enjoyed the Christmas boo Winter Solstice, and as @Andras said a good comfort read. Maybe you need to keep it for June though, being in New Zealand!
    Don't worry if you don't get Cold Comfort Farm till nearer the end of the month. It is a fairly quick read and the discussion will be open for a good while.
  • CCF is one of the funniest books ever and one that I re-read from time-to-time.

I'm particularly fond of Mr Mybug, Miss Gibbons' literary poseur who pricks so many balloons at once :grin:
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Thank you. Looking forward to it!
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    CCF is one of the funniest books ever and one that I re-read from time-to-time.

I'm particularly fond of Mr Mybug, Miss Gibbons' literary poseur who pricks so many balloons at once :grin:

Yes - whoever could have guessed that it was really Branwell Bronte who wrote all those novels?
  • Always one to find a shortcut I am currently listening to the BBC Radio Audiobook available on You Tube. Lovely start.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Quizmaster! It's so nice to see you here!
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    Quizmaster wrote: »
    Always one to find a shortcut I am currently listening to the BBC Radio Audiobook available on You Tube. Lovely start.

I'm curious about this. Is the whole of the original text read out in these audiobooks, or do they cut from time to time as might be done when a play is performed?

As you can tell, I've never listened to one.
  • Will re-read. Always loved the idea of the water voles, myself. Wasn't there a Radio 4 adaptation many moons ago? I can still hear Amos preaching to the Quivering Brethren...
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Will re-read. Always loved the idea of the water voles, myself. Wasn't there a Radio 4 adaptation many moons ago? I can still hear Amos preaching to the Quivering Brethren...

I think that may be the one Quizmaster mentioned he was listening to?
  • Radio 4 version- 4 part serialisation, broadcast 2008 and 2017, which looks as if it was originally produced in 2000, and is available from Amazon
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    Radio 4 version- 4 part serialisation, broadcast 2008 and 2017, which looks as if it was originally produced in 2000, and is available from Amazon

Many thanks for that!

I'll stay with my nice illustrated Folio edition, but that link may be very useful for some.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Finished it last night. Look forward to the discussion.
  • The NLB have let me down a bit - it still hasn't arrived, but should do so today.
  • Wednesday afternoon: It arrived this morning, so I am about half way through Chapter 2. I wondered how it would feel to read it for a second time, but so far I am delighted that I know who's who and what happens later so can appreciate the start of it all much more.
    I love the bit about the reply from the relative in London who hopes that Flora is not a sceptic as this might upset the spirits in the séances!!which take place in the room she would be occupying!