Far flung southern lands 2019

Comments

• Lothlorien wrote: »
    Those fires are not all the product of a hot day. Arson needs strong penalties but much of it is reported as psychological. First fire in reserve at my sister’s back fence was caused by torching a stolen car. The huge fire next day just sort of happened. NOT. The RFS saved all the houses in the dead end street and are still patrolling. That was a couple of streets out of Forster shops. Very big reserve, not cleared in years and full of scrub.

On a cliff high over local beach.

Indeed Loth! The two brothers who caused the fire which damaged our place in 2017 have finally been dealt with in court. The older was a firefighter who encouraged his brother to light fires so he would get callout payments. He got five years and the younger three and a half.

Three months prior to our fire the local railway museum, of which I am a board member, was lucky not to be destroyed, although much damaged, when a stolen car was torched in neighbouring bushland. This has led to much expenditure by authorities on fencing and gating access to Crown land and national park firetrails to prevent this and also the epidemic of illegal rubbish dumping.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Just heard that my aunt, Mum’s sister was evacuated from nursing home in Forster. She is 96 and recognises no one. Spends her time with eyes shut, apparently asleep.

Much damage and some deaths.

State wide total fire ban for next two days of heat and wind. I think we are fairly safe here, the place is substantial double brick. Some bush around but no trouble for fifty years. We have been watering and will water again, wetting mulch thoroughly.

Schools in danger zones will be shut and pupils notified. Plenty of fires still burning substantially further north and sixty five kilometres of main road north is shut now.
    Remembrance Day.
  • Barnabas_AusBarnabas_Aus Shipmate
    edited November 11
    Back from a busy morning around town. First to the unveiling of a mural commemorating the role of women in the Great War, including a local woman who twice disguised herself as a man to try and enlist, before finally joining the nursing service, and going on after the war to a significant career in that field. We were lucky to have her granddaughter and niece present for the occasion.
    Then to the local Remembrance Day service. About 80 people there, including a couple of Dutch tourists whom we encountered. Not sure of their reaction to the ceremony, which was conducted with our usual small country town informality, as we gathered in the shade of a big tree rather than in front of the memorial in the strong sunlight.
    The teenager here has a day off school tomorrow. His school is one of three hundred or so closed tomorrow because of bushfire possibilities.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The theme of the local Anzac Day service here a few years ago was on the role of women in the forces during WW I. Nursing staff from the San took place in the (short) march and participated in the service.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    For he's a jolly good hoiho* ... and so say most of us!
    Even though my choice was the hihi ( a long-time favourite)

*Yellow-eyed penguin, Bird of the Year, 2019
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Barnabas_Aus, how are you placed for the expected day tomorrow? An unwanted advantage of the fires you've had in the last few years should have been to clear out a lot of the dry rubbish along which fires can spread so easily. Not heard from Vulpior for a long time, but my cousin in the same general locality is not feeling threatened.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Galilit wrote: »

We tried to vote for the King Parrot, but seemed to be locked out of the site.
  • Thanks for your concern GeeD! The high school just around the corner is closed tomorrow, but I don't think the fuel load is as high as 2017. As long as we don't have any idiot arsonists around we should be OK. The local hospital which is right beside bushland has cancelled all non-essential services, so I've had my cardiac rehab session cancelled for tomorrow.

Meanwhile here is a searing response from the mayor of one of our country shires to some of the idiotic comments by our Deputy PM and his predecessor today.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Galilit wrote: »

We tried to vote for the King Parrot, but seemed to be locked out of the site.

This may have something to do with it.
    We are as prepared pretty much as possible. Gutters have fitted stoppers and are filled. Hoses all checked from the big pull out dispensers. Scattered twigs etc raked. I have saturated the mulch in front garden along verandah. Son and I have medications packed and I have added underclothes etc. solicitor has our important papers in storage. Need to get two cat boxes ready and some cat food. Hope none of this is needed but we have done it. Need to add chargers tomorrow

Am with Barnabas on arsonists. Sister still has part of reserve behind her which did not but as it was sprayed with retardant from plane. Now pink but not burnt. She has not yet unpacked her car fro weekend.
  • The school at which my wife last worked is closed tomorrow. In the big fires in 2000, the school was in the line of a fire which started near our local hospital, went up and over the mountain range, jumped the Newcastle Expressway and was heading for Lake Macquarie, closing the Main North Railway as well. Staff and kids were evacuated and the buildings were saved by strategic water bombing. They returned to pink-tinted classrooms and playground in following days. I am watching her carefully as she was traumatised by that and then re-traumatised by our fire damage in 2017.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thinking of you all - I saw pictures of some of the fires on the news last night - hoping you can all stay safe.
    edited November 11
    I asked the teenager about reaction to cancellation of school. He said, “everybody yelled yippee.” He is a hard worker and has been up on roof filling gutters.

Sensible to close schools. One less thing to consider. Twelve big buses go past here in the afternoon and more in the other direction. No one would want them out on the road in smoke if worst came to worst.

Neighbours on one side have been here just about forever and reassure is all will be well. We really know that but want to do all the right things. No sign of heat so far, but give it a couple of hours and the temperature will rise. No fires on mountains except the one at Woodford which is days old and under control.

The RFS site is good but far too easy to be checking every few minutes. That leads to unnecessary anxiety.
  • Just here to say I saw the news and came on the thread to say I am so sorry about the fires, prayers for all.
    edited November 12
    We now have a dust storm from wind. Amazingly, no fires yet reported on mountains apart from one which has been here some days. Situation north is disastrous.

Thank you, Graven Image.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host
    Horrifying news coverage. Stay safe, @Loth, @Barnabus_Aus and wife, and anyone else involved.
    edited November 12
    Just announced that a fire has started in general area near Mr Curly. I am not sure how close, but definitely near.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The political debate has hit a deep low, lower than I can recall for decades. A Nationals Senator has said that 2 women killed in the fires were most likely Greens. To top that, a Greens senator from WA has called his political opponents arsonists.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The latest report has the fire at Sth Turramurra as under control. Mr Curly's house is the best part of 3 km SE from that and he should be safe. The weather change due around 7 will bring very strong winds from the south and so away from the Curlies. We're a bit further away than that, but just off north. I'd be very surprised if the fire itself reached here but there's always the risk of burning embers . The house guttering is cleared of leaves quarterly and so that's a task done. I've closed the downpipes and am now filling the gutters with water just in case. Cars turned around so that we can just drive out if necessary rather than the fiddly business of having to reverse. The usuals have been packed.

Gee D wrote: »
    The political debate has hit a deep low, lower than I can recall for decades. A Nationals Senator has said that 2 women killed in the fires were most likely Greens. To top that, a Greens senator from WA has called his political opponents arsonists.

I saw that a while ago and commented on it to others. Just despicable, does no good to any one. Certainly the comments about the greens was typical of his pronouncements and the pronouncements come from his disgusting behaviour. A piece of slime.

The latest report has the fire at Sth Turramurra as under control. Mr Curly's house is the best part of 3 km SE from that and he should be safe. The weather change due around 7 will bring very strong winds from the south and so away from the Curlies. We're a bit further away than that, but just off north. I'd be very surprised if the fire itself reached here but there's always the risk of burning embers . The house guttering is cleared of leaves quarterly and so that's a task done. I've closed the downpipes and am now filling the gutters with water just in case. Cars turned around so that we can just drive out if necessary rather than the fiddly business of having to reverse. The usuals have been packed.

I know where his house is but was not sure of the streets mentioned in relation to his place.

We had medications packed for a couple of us and a few clothes. Car is always facing driving out and DiL’s mother’s car has joined it while she cannot drive with broken arm. We have a wide driveway and a parking area big enough for eight to twelve cars, depending on care in parking. So plenty of space to turn around.

I saturated verandah garden and its mulch yesterday. We were all sure we would be ok but people in other places were not. Danger is not over, we are not boasting.

Gutters are part of maintenance done regularly, but we made an extra effort yesterday. They won’t rust being made in France from copper, but we want them to drain well, so they are cleaned.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Lothlorien wrote: »

I saw that a while ago and commented on it to others. Just despicable, does no good to any one. Certainly the comments about the greens was typical of his pronouncements and the pronouncements come from his disgusting behaviour. A piece of slime.

And so also for the Green
    I am well and truly the shortest in family. The teenager has had a growth spurt and is almost as tall as his dad who is 6’5”. I am 5’3””. I sat in cabana in pool this afternoon which was pleasant. Easy entry through the proper pool gate which I let swing shut behind me. When I went to return to house, I discovered step on inside is lower than that on outside and I could not anywhere reach the release for the gate. I had to shout loudly till heard and someone came down to rescue me. As for kitchen cupboard, window locks and more, all are well above me.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Discrimination against shorter people Loth. :wink: When I can't reach things in shops I always joke about it. Our local Supermarket has some lovely young staff who are always helpful in reaching things for me.

I've been thinking of you all with the fires. Is this unusually early in the season?
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Very early - the usual start is the first week of the summer school holidays (and that's not as cynical as it may seem at first blush).
  • And a dozen potential arsons under investigation. I know in some cases there might be some sort of disordered thinking involved, but in most cases, it’s likely be sheer idiocy. When you think of all the people putting their lives on the line to deal with the fires, it’s very hard to think in any way charitably about anyone who deliberately sets a fire or is careless about barbecuing or whatever.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I think I've posted before that my youngest brother is in the Bush fire force in the Valley where he lives. He almost got trapped by a fire once so my tolerance for both arsonists and the careless is low.
    I have pretty well no tolerance for those who are arsonists. So much at stake, so many lives and livelihoods. All for what seems like a thrill. Many RFS people seem to have a sixth sense about the identity of arsonists. Then proof has to be gathered.
  • Two fires a little further up the valley from us are under suspicion, but now our friendly neighbourhood arsonists are behind bars the local situation has been relatively quiet [says he, touching wood!]
    The various landholders around the area [National Parks, Crown Lands, Aboriginal Land Council, local council] have been collaborating in closing off access tracks into bushland to minimise car torching and illegal dumping so that is probably helping.
    There are fires under control about five kms from here down the road and the other side of larger centre.

What part of total fireban is hard to understand? Reports this morning of someone burning rubbish. Also weird reports of a man who used a crowbar in Johnson St Annandale. He prised up part of the footpath and lit electrical wires underneath. He has been remanded in custody till court case some time in January as too great a risk to leave out on bail.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    He sounds seriously deranged. Good call not granting bail in my opinion as he also risks serious danger to himself.
  • Indeed.

I cannot imagine what this summer will bring. And my admiration for the RFS and all emergency services and volunteers just grows and grows...

Slightly annoyed with our CIO. We were supposed to get news on the restructure Wednesday. Got an email late in the day saying it would be Thursday. Currently 19:30 on Friday and no email or information since. Oh well. I have triple chocolate icecream and the weekend is ahead. :smiley:
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    I have pretty well no tolerance for those who are arsonists. So much at stake, so many lives and livelihoods. All for what seems like a thrill. Many RFS people seem to have a sixth sense about the identity of arsonists. Then proof has to be gathered.

It wasn't hard to gather proof in a case on the Sunshine Coast earlier this year. The firer-lighters posted pictures on FaceBook of themselves lighting the fires.
    Tukai wrote: »
    ... The firer-lighters posted pictures on FaceBook of themselves lighting the fires.
    Evil and stupid - you could almost feel sorry for them (but not quite). :flushed:
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    edited November 16
    Yeah. Not quite. Very Not quite.

Little chance of fires where I'm freezing at the moment, in a small lakeside settlement in Fiordland. Just a wee tad choolly and wit i]sic[/i.

@Zappa, did you have a particular link you were making here? This is badly broken and goes nowhere.

Lothlorien, AS Host
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    PS ... am on air (for the first time as a presenter in many years) on the community radio station in my town (where I am not at the moment, of course). https://oar.org.nz/event/radio-church/?instance_id=120982 (yes, outing myself again but no biggie).
    The calm before the storm is facing NSW and Qld again this week. Today is ok, but the next three will be back to high heat and strong winds. What we desperately need is rain and lots of it. Good rain.not just drizzle which evaporates before it hits the ground.

One large fire which started at the back of Lithgow is proceeding steadily towards coast. The areas around Mt White and Kariong which used to be bush but are now full of houses, could well be threatened this week. That will cut the both the highway and the trainline. That area is a long way from where the fire started. Those townships are just north of Sydney but Lithgow is west past the Blue Mountains.

40 acres is 16 hectares. The fire has now burnt out over 120,00 hectares. Do the sums if you deal in acres and see how huge it is.

Firies are utterly exhausted dealing with the scale of things. We are exceedingly grateful for all help both domestic and international, but this just goes on and on.

And it is not yet the season of summer.

{{{Loth, your neighbours and all affected}}}
    Thanks, Piglet. I can smell smoke strongly here this morning but am safe from this fire. A bit hard to explain but part of the fire has moved towards Hawkesbury River which is below us and off mountains. Quite a way to go, but this fire goes where it goes and distance seems not to matter. Hopefully the wind would blow it away from mountains.It is now near my niece’s place which is like here, above the river but she is on the other side. With a wind and embers it could get there. She has already moved her three polo ponies and camp draft horse to a hopefully safe place.

It is said that such big fires create their own weather. Add gales And high temperatures in to that and conditions are dire.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    A tornado ripped through Christchurch this afternoon. Two people hurt, power cuts and roofs ripped off buildings and asbestos in the air in nearby suburbs. All we experienced here was a big temperature drop and the biggest hailstones I have ever seen.

Then the sun came out again.
    Hope all is well with you, Huia. That sounds terrifying.
    Crikey! :flushed:

Your weather could never be described as boring, could it???

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Not really piglet.

I am annoyed with myself because late last week a friend told me that the roses in the Botanic Gardens were spectacular. I went into town on Sunday, but didn't get to the gardens which will have been shredded by the hail. I will have to wail until later in the season now.

The sound of the hail on the kitchen windows was a bit worrying, but otherwise it was O.K.

When it was over I opened the back door and Aroha ran out and sat on the hailstones piles up against the fence. She didn't stay there or long.
  • Congratulations DJ Zappa!

Commiserations and comfort to all impacted by inclement weather.
    It reached 38° C here today. Relief overnight but more on Thursday. After my nasty brush with dehydration two weeks ago, I am being very careful to not let that happen again. I feel somewhat waterlogged today.
    O my goodness - that's hot!

Do take care, Loth - AIUI lots of small amounts of water rather than big gulps is the way to go.
  • Yes, indeed; take care in those conditions.