Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

Comments

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    edited January 24
    Piglet- The roads were full of anchor ice yesterday. I taught my class to 2/3rds of the students. I am auditing a healthcare ethics course. About 70% of the class was present. There was local pooling of water where catch basins were covered. The roads were much better this morning.
  • The Grand River is half frozen again, and we're remembering last year's February flood when the ice dam burst. May have to move over to the prayer thread...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host
    It's absolutely tipping it down at the moment, making the accumulated snow very heavy to shift - this afternoon D. got me to come and sit in the car to add weight ( :blush: ) so that he could get it out of the drive.

The (all-too temporary) increase in temperature does seem to be shifting a bit of the snow though - the end of the drive is mostly mucky puddle now.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Pouring rain here too and fairly warm out. The end of my driveway is the opposite to yours. I got stuck on it coming in this afternoon with the car teetering into the traffic. The snowy part seems to have been washed away and all that is left is the thick ice. Not sure how this is going to resolve itself.
    Our drive is now one great big Patch of Treachery™ - negotiating it after choir practice was a nightmare.

Once the stuff at the base freezes again, it'll be even worse. :fearful:
  • And in Toronto we have snowmageddon. 33 cm as of this morning, and counting.
  • I made a personal rule to avoid catastrophic weather talk a few years ago.

On a very practical note: Please everyone, when you are walking in winter and there's the least chance of slippery, just walk, do not do anything else. If you need to find your keys, stop walking. If your cell phone rings and you want to answer it, stop walking. If you need to button or zip up your coat, put on mittens or gloves, stop walking. If it is slippery and you're talking to someone interrupt and note to the other person that it is slippery and we must focus only on walking.

The common slip and fall injuries are broken hips, FOOSH (fall on out-stretched hands), head and face. I write as someone whose mother died from broken hip complications. If they offer balance and fall prevention programs where you live and you are at all unsteady on your feet, please investigate!
  • On a very practical note: Please everyone, when you are walking in winter and there's the least chance of slippery, just walk, do not do anything else. If you need to find your keys, stop walking. If your cell phone rings and you want to answer it, stop walking. If you need to button or zip up your coat, put on mittens or gloves, stop walking. If it is slippery and you're talking to someone interrupt and note to the other person that it is slippery and we must focus only on walking.
    That's excellent advice all the time!

• I made a personal rule to avoid catastrophic weather talk a few years ago.

On a very practical note: Please everyone, when you are walking in winter and there's the least chance of slippery, just walk, do not do anything else. If you need to find your keys, stop walking. If your cell phone rings and you want to answer it, stop walking. If you need to button or zip up your coat, put on mittens or gloves, stop walking. If it is slippery and you're talking to someone interrupt and note to the other person that it is slippery and we must focus only on walking.

The common slip and fall injuries are broken hips, FOOSH (fall on out-stretched hands), head and face. I write as someone whose mother died from broken hip complications. If they offer balance and fall prevention programs where you live and you are at all unsteady on your feet, please investigate!

Such great advice! Thanks for the caution.

I attend a yoga class three times a week, mostly attended by retirees, and every class we work on balance. It is so critical to winter survival here.

Sometimes I just say to Beloved "Here I have to do the penguin walk".

AFF
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    The penguin walk is the key to walking on ice! :) Personally, this is the first winter in four that I have even tried to walk and it has been okay until the last couple of weeks. We now have thick ice with a scuff of snow pretty much everywhere. The last few afternoons have been lovely and sunny though and the sunsets have been spectacular. Tomorrow, I will drive to a neighbouring city for the first time since last spring and, of course, we are to have snow and freezing rain. Hopefully there won't be much of it! I can continue to say though, that I am still glad that I do not live in Toronto. :smiley:
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    There are some pretty amazing photos coming out of Toronto showing the snow - but not just there, Sweden, Norway and Finland have had big falls of snow. And Switzerland. (That's just people I follow)
    D. was talking to his mum in England about an hour ago, and she's got snow, which is quite a rarity where she lives (about 50 miles north-east of London).

Those of you over here getting silly amounts, heed NP's advice, and take care.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Yeah, we've just started getting snow.
  • Lily Pad wrote: »
    The penguin walk is the key to walking on ice! :) Personally, this is the first winter in four that I have even tried to walk and it has been okay until the last couple of weeks. We now have thick ice with a scuff of snow pretty much everywhere. The last few afternoons have been lovely and sunny though and the sunsets have been spectacular. Tomorrow, I will drive to a neighbouring city for the first time since last spring and, of course, we are to have snow and freezing rain. Hopefully there won't be much of it! I can continue to say though, that I am still glad that I do not live in Toronto. :smiley:

Well it dumped about 15cm on us here overnight, and as soon as the plows had cleared the road I saw the Morning Marathon Contingent loping by like a herd of antelopes in their fleece headbands, spandex leggings and silk long underwear, like "We don't care, we're still training for the Iron Man!"

Bloody showoffs.

AFF

• Every summer I spend a week in beautiful Stratford, Ontario, and think to myself that I'd love to live there (especially since U.S. election day 2016). Then I read about this type of weather and decide I'll stay here in Arizona and continue to visit Canada only in the summer.

I lived in upstate New York -- not all that far from Ontario -- so I do sympathize with what you're dealing with. Please stay warm and safe!
  • Odd thing is, in several decades of dealing with snow, ice and worse, I've never come to serious mishap except on an uncharacteristically warm day in February two years ago when I almost destroyed my ankle (still recovering but fortunately, actually recovering) on an unexpected bit of black ice. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, etc.
  • Penguins. Love penguins.

Further re winter weather, things hit -44°C last evening, with a rapid warm up at noon today to -24. Really cold means still, sunny and beautiful. Sound travels a long long way in such temps.
  • Penguins. Love penguins.

Further re winter weather, things hit -44°C last evening, with a rapid warm up at noon today to -24. Really cold means still, sunny and beautiful. Sound travels a long long way in such temps.

It's so too bad that sunny and beautiful usually means cold as Dante's 9th circle of hell.

I look at the snow accumulation and we are not far from the Glen Eden Conservation area and the escarpment "ski bump". I would love to go and play in the snow but it's just too damn cold.

Next week we are off to Montreal and Quebec City for the opening of Carnaval. I just bought snow galoshes and Beloved bought thermal pants.

No matter how cold it is here it's always colder along the St Lawrence.

AFF
    We got a few more inches of snow today, but for the moment it's almost unseasonably warm at -2°. I really ought to go and shovel the path while it's still soft enough to shift - we're due to go back down to minus double digits tonight.
  • It's squeaky snow time around here. You don't have to live here very long to learn that snow squeaks under your boots from about -10°C downwards. They are prophesying -23°C tonight and -24 tomorrow. That's quite cool for this area. Thank goodness the snowblower started yesterday and cleared away about 100 mm of the stuff.
  • And then there was a fast thaw - up to 11°C - and yesterday the ice jam on the river burst upstream in town. We were out when it happened, and missed seeing tons of ice being delivered to our back garden. We heard that it all happened in a few minutes, but it didn't reach the house this time. Breathes again... Horrible freezing rain all day today.
    We've got a weather alert for freezing rain in the next few days - ugh!

Our temperature actually got briefly into double figures yesterday, but not really for long enough to do a lot of good; our path and drive are still covered in Patches of Treachery™.
  • john holdingjohn holding Ecclesiantics Host, Mystery Worshipper Host
    Today Roll Up The Rim began, and my first coffee earned me a free doughnut.
    Mine didn't. :(
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I am 0 for 2.
    So am I now - and so is D. :cry:
  • Going to say "Bonsoir!" to Bonhomme! And checking off a bucket list item.
  • Just when Mrs Teasdale and I were thinking that we were going to get away with a very mild winter, we're now up to our wotsits in snow.

Have been rewriting a well known hymn:
    "We plough the roads and scatter
    the good salt on the ground.
    But it just keeps on snowing;
    my car is now a mound."

Anyone care to continue?
  • Lol - no time to compose at the moment. About to head out to help a friend look for car keys lost yesterday at the beach. Over here, the topsoil is staining the snow and ice a lovely red colour. The winds are crazy and the temperature is way down. But hey, it will be going up on Wednesday, you know, when the big snowstorm hits.
  • Warmed up to -19°C. Up from -41 last week. These are not wind chill numbers. Which were in the -55 range.
    Crikey, NP - that makes our wind-chill of -17 seem positively tropical.

Still waiting to gagnez un cafe - between us we're now at 0/6. We had a bit of a duff one at Tim's today: we decided we fancied Tim's chilli for lunch, so we headed out to our nearest one at about 1:15 and after we'd ordered and paid were told they only had enough chilli left for one portion. At 1:15 in the afternoon? I took chicken soup instead, but we really weren't very impressed.

We've sometimes gone in looking for chilli in the evening and been told there's none left, but we thought it was a bit thick at that time of day. Also, we didn't get the "combo" discount, which we didn't realise until it was too late.

We don't really blame the staff - they're very nice, and with often only three of them on to run the cafe and a drive-through, they're rather badly overworked (they often don't have time to mop the floors, which get dangerously slippery at this time of year), which makes us think the management leaves something to be desired.
  • Have been rewriting a well known hymn:
    "We plough the roads and scatter
    the good salt on the ground.
    But it just keeps on snowing;
    my car is now a mound."
    I love it!
    :lol:
  • We have vigorous snow here and everything seems to be about to grind to a halt. My commute to work is mostly by subway, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    We're bracing ourselves for your left-overs - they're talking about up to 40cm, which is 40cm more than we need.
  • Good luck. Snow is over, and we're now into freezing rain. They actually closed down the schools altogether today which I'm told virtually never happens. The subway ride in this morning was eerily quiet with I suppose many people staying home.
  • Supposed to begin here about 12 hours from now. No subways here so if the roads aren't fit, we'll all stay home. Some activities have already been cancelled for tomorrow. I heard that most schools in Ontario were closed today and suspect that ours will be closed tomorrow. In this house, the resident canine wins and we go out anyway no matter the weather.
    It's supposed to start here in a couple of hours and go on in one form or another until late tomorrow afternoon, so I don't think we'll be going anywhere.

I think a spot of batch cooking beckons (assuming we don't get any power-cuts).
  • Our power went out this evening, but fortunately this time not for more than 5 minutes. We get localized outages with surprising frequency - something about our street that attracts outages during storms.
    No power cuts so far (touch wood!); snow seems to have changed to freezing rain or ice, but not before we got hit with about two feet of the stuff (plus drifts).

I tried to shift some of it (and there were a few patches where it hadn't lain), but it was mostly blowing back in my face, so I gave up.
  • Just inside from shovelling here and am sweating! It isn't that cold out and the labour made me realize that I was way overdressed. The deck and driveway in front of the garage are clear and ready for the big snowblower to come take care of the rest. Not sure what to have for supper but not going to worry about the calories after all of that shovelling. The wind is rather wild at the moment. Very poor conditions in the rural areas, I hear.
    I went back out to have another go early in the evening and a very kindly gentleman, who had just finished snow-blowing the drive of the lady across the road, saw me struggling to shift the drifts on our drive, came over and did ours as well.

I don't know his name, but he's a total hero and deserves a knighthood.
  • We did something very stupid and ignored our car in the back parking pad for the last week, with the result that it had become entombed in several layers of ice by the time I finally got around to dealing with it today (in preparation for having to drive somewhere early tomorrow morning). After about 2 person-hours of work between the two of us, we managed to render safely drivable again. I'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere...
    Even if it takes the two of us taking turns, we always try and make sure we can get the car out; but if it hadn't been for Snow-Blower Gentleman I'm not sure what we'd have done - we'd probably have had to get someone to come from the estate office to plough us out.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    We have been living in my wife's ancestral home for the last three years. We inherited it after her father died. The house comes with two bonuses. First, we have a garage. Second, our next door neighbour looked after snowblowing the driveway and cutting the lawn for my father in law. We have inherited that service and are happy to remunerate him for his efforts.
  • In the nation's capital, we had 30cm and more where it drifts. Yesterday my neighbour and I took three shifts to clear the walk. There has been no delivery of the Globe for two days now but, considering the inanity of some it is writers in recent weeks, that might not have been a bad thing. Busdrivers, in their own genteel manner, are urging passengers to alight by the front door, as doing otherwise would involve alpine skills. What was most serious of all was that the local artisanal bakery was shut down yesterday, and I had to walk a kilometre to the Portuguese bakery instead. On the first day of the snowfall, I saw several cross-country skiers on city streets going about their errands.

Her Majesty's minions were advised to work from home, as commuting times (when possible at all) were doubling and more than doubling. One of my former colleagues made her way to her office by cross-country skis and with no-one in the office found herself appointed acting director and director-general, and cleared their desks of much paper which had been awaiting signature. She enjoyed her hour-long meeting with the Assistant Deputy Minister, who is normally only seen by staff at her level when approaching the Great Divan on their hands and knees. She is doing medical appointments today but tells me that she is quite looking forward, in her anarchistic way, to hearing from her superiors on Monday morning.
    I should say her superiors ought to be jolly grateful she came in at all - she deserves a medal!
  • Back from Carnaval de Quebec. I got stood up by Bonhomme. The parade was supposed to start at 7 and end at 9. I stood in -19 for an hour and forty five minutes at the end of the route and the parade was nowhere to be seen.

Finally gave it up and went to Aux Anciens Canadians for supper.

Reports from next day said that it was ten thirty before the first part of the parade reached the end where we had stood.

So much for the bucket list. I will not be doing this a second time in this incarnation.

But the rest was great fun .. took the toboggan slide twice, drank spiced rum out of an ice cube, sucked on frozen maple syrup on a stick, and generally drank too much.

I love Quebec City in the winter. Canada comes alive in the snow.

AFF
    ... I stood in -19 for an hour and forty five minutes ... I will not be doing this a second time in this incarnation ...
    After that I'm surprised you're not in the next incarnation already! :astonished:

The rest of it sounds like fun though.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    ... I stood in -19 for an hour and forty five minutes ... I will not be doing this a second time in this incarnation ...
    After that I'm surprised you're not in the next incarnation already! :astonished:

I know, right?

I have a gigantic sheepskin coat with hood and a down filled jacket, and I was wearing the down jacket UNDER the sheepskin. Plus my super toasty thermal mukluks.

And I was still cold after an hour and a half.

But the Carnaval goes on ... hot grog and fire pits everywhere, ice sculptures, the ice palace and Bonhomme's gigantic snow sculpture court, it's really a city sized fete.

Glad I got to do it.

AFF

• You are now strengthened and fortified for the privations of Lent.