Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

124»

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    That's logical!

What I know about Albertan politics could go on a postage stamp, but I sort of imagine they might be a bit right of centre ...
  • Lily Pad wrote: »
    "Equally pathetical in the Anne of Green Gables's sense of the word."? Care to explain?
    A well remembered quote from one the books, which was said subsequently said by my children 25 years ago on a frequent basis. It seems to mean something that by its nature generates thought of "how pathetic" but at the same time not wanting to directly criticise it.
  • Caissa wrote: »
    Alberta, once again, gets the government that is deserves.

The one it needs.
  • Caissa wrote: »
    Alberta, once again, gets the government that is deserves.

The one it needs.
    The younger generation must stop the older from ruining everything. They're calling the post-Millenial generation, Generation Climate. Kenny drove a gas guzzling great big truck during his campaign. Which is a great symbol for a one horse economy.
  • At least the NDP kept official opposition. And Edmonton.

The inter provincial feud over pipelines should be interesting.
  • Jason has been dumping all over Justin for months, how he is bad and is going to be turfed. The fed-prov relationship is not set up to start well is it? And it wasn't grand with the defeated premier. As It Happens (CBC Radio One) had an interview with some guy who won a seat in Calgary. Have not heard such a negative, no ideas interview before.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Warm sunny day in Toronto today. Did some gardening work, and then went out on my bike. Spring seems to be a real possibility.

In other news it's still decidedly snowy at my parents' cottage north of Ottawa, but they have also had to re-route the dirt roads because of flooding from the river that runs past them. Odd combination of cold and high water.
    Still mostly grey here - although the snow's gone from our garden, and we had a glorious sunset - but there's still a lot of flooding downtown, with a risk of it getting worse toward the middle of the week.
    Sounds like bad flooding in your neck of the woods. Hope you're doing OK.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    No flooding here as yet but it has been over a week of daily rain or snow and it sure is miserable looking out there. The lilac buds are looking too full for this time of year. Maybe it is the influence of the Green Party! We've had quite a week with tragic deaths and a massive welcome change in governance. If only it would stop raining we might be able to enjoy the outdoors again.
    The flooding here's certainly pretty bad - I understand the river level was even higher than last year.

Our house is sufficiently high up that for us to be flooded, the whole of Freddy would have to be under a couple of hundred feet of water, but we have friends whose lakeside summer cottage has had some water ingress again (having been badly damaged last year). They had someone come and suspend their furniture from the ceiling on ropes to protect it, which I think will have helped.

The river level has dropped a bit in the last day or two, but there's more rain in the forecast, so I don't know that we're quite out of the woods yet.
    You just hit the local news again with news of the floods. I'm glad I don't need to travel anymore as I would not like that long detour to get home again. When I lived in Fredericton, I was halfway up the hill and it was often quite hard to get around with so many streets closed. And the mess when the water goes down, well, that is not easy. We are to have sun tomorrow but I will believe it when I see it!
  • Our news has had the grass/bush fires first, followed by the eastern floods. The big fire near Biggar, Sask is now under control though not everyone is home, not sure how many homes lost. The wind is going the other way today, and we even had a wee few flakes of snow this morning.
    We had a few snowflakes this morning too, but nothing that lay. A friend in Newfoundland posted a picture of quite a respectable/scary* amount of snow there this morning.

* delete as appropriate
  • We live in an area that has become increasingly prone to flooding in the last few years. So what should a caring, responsible provincial government do about it? That witless, wooden-brained, blundering dunderhead of a pig ignorant oaf of a semi-literate conservative premier called Doug Ford has cut the flood control funding by 50%. Like his role model and soul brother in Washington, he is clearly a stable genius. There is no end to this idiot's vengeful pettiness: after attacking the health care system (to which I owe my continued survival) he has even cut one of those small treasures that have benefited everyone for generations, the sacred and beloved inter-library loan system. However, he is making good on his promise to see that beer for a dollar a bottle will be available. Ontario is going to hell.

And there is snow in today's forecast.
    The idiots who designed the Conservative Party nomination process, whoever they were, have a lot to answer for.

On the upside, perhaps the snow will dampen the fires of hell.

edited April 29
    It seems to me that with his cuts to education and related services and his cheap beer, Ford must have worked out that in order to vote for him, the people of Ontario would need to be either stupid or drunk (or perhaps both).

Heaven help you.
  • Ontario is going to hell.
    Ontario needs to go through hell to get out of bankruptcy.

I don't agree with all he is doing, but there will be hurt before it gets better.
  • Marsupial wrote: »
    The idiots who designed the Conservative Party nomination process, whoever they were, have a lot to answer for.
    I signed up so I could vote for someone else.
  • Ontario is going to hell.
    Ontario needs to go through hell to get out of bankruptcy.

I don't agree with all he is doing, but there will be hurt before it gets better.

I'm not sure how having my house flooded again is going to help.
  • sharkshootersharkshooter Shipmate
    Ford did not cause your house to get flooded.
  • Stercus TauriStercus Tauri Shipmate
    Ford did not cause your house to get flooded.

I think you are unfamiliar with areas where reservoir levels and river flows are controlled by an organization that depends on public funding. Reduced staffing results in reduced vigilance, which can - and has recently - result in avoidable flooding.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Frost on the vehicles here, and sundogs around the sun this morning. CBC weather tells me that last year on this day, it was +32C here.
  • Stercus TauriStercus Tauri Shipmate
    Spring has suddenly sprung explosively all around here. Every tree that can blossom is doing its best, and this morning we have two families of geese on the river bank, one with two goslings and the other with seven. They are so new that they still look almost egg shaped.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    And the Green party representation in Parliament has doubled.
    edited May 7
    Caissa wrote: »
    And the Green party representation in Parliament has doubled.
    It seems sort of appropriate, with the countryside all bursting forth in green ... :smiley:

The trees here seem to have a sort of pecking order of turning green: the willows are the first, and then other types seem to take their turns.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Have all the flood markets receded in Fredericton, Piglet? We are probably visiting the F'ton markets on June 1.
    The river's well down now, and most of the debris has been cleared away from the riverside.

The farmers' market was postponed to Sunday last week because of a power cut, although I don't know that it was directly flood-related. As far as I know things should be business as usual on 1st June.

We're waiting with bated breath for the fiddlehead season - last year's crop was decimated by the floods, but I haven't heard anything about it this year.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    We go to the Northside market, as well. I think fiddleheads will be expensive again this year. They are well-loved in our household.
    I looked up the Northside Market on the web, and there don't seem to be any cancellations in the offing.

We haven't been to either market for ages - we're night-owls and the early start and closing of the farmers' market means we have to make a concerted effort to go there.
    @Caissa - I don't know about your neck of the woods, but we've got fiddleheads!
    :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I cooked up fiddleheads last night for supper.
    edited May 14
    I got 5lbs for $20 at the little veggie stall down the road from us, and I've blanched and frozen 3lbs of it (that was all I could fit into the stock-pot - I'll do the rest later today). I'm planning on doing a chicken stir-fry with some of them for lunch tomorrow; the rest will be frozen in batches for making soup.
  • sharkshootersharkshooter Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    ...we've got fiddleheads!
    :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
    I always had to drown them in vinegar in order to get them down. Couldn't stand them.
    I could eat them but it feels mean to waste them on me. :) Buds are on the trees here but it is barely above freezing.
    I can see why they wouldn't be to everyone's taste - I'm surprised that D. likes them, as he usually hates anything green except garden peas! They do make the most heavenly soup* though - we had it at a dinner party the first spring we were here and thought we really must try and replicate it.

* One of D's marks of a good restaurant is one that can turn veggies he doesn't like into soup that he does.
  • We scraped frost off the car windows one pleasant morning last week. Now it's a stinking 29°C. Give me a few minutes and I'll figure out how to blame Doug Ford for it.
    Crikey! I'm sure there are grounds for sharing the blame between him and T***p. And Brexit, just for good measure ... :mrgreen:
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Feel free to blame T***p -- it's all that hot air he blows, now heading north across the border. (Maybe you should build a wall. :wink: )

Here in the desert Southwest (aka Arizona), we're only at 26C. (We're having an unusually mild spring -- and enjoying every minute of it, as we know it won't last much longer.)
    Spring is taking its time here - so far we've only had a couple of days when the mercury reached 20°C.

I'll be quite happy if the real heat holds off for a while yet: a few weeks without having to pay for either heating or cooling would be nice!