Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

Comments

• sharkshootersharkshooter Shipmate
    The Greens are nothing but the Red Tories reincarnated.

Hence Conservatives who Compost, aka Tofu Tories.

I wish there was a Canada Election 2019 thread so the insulting/partisan comments can be made somewhere else.
  • We could start one I suppose. I would like to more interested in political discussions, but it appears that it always devolve into simple little phrases like "tofu".

We're getting Alberta smoke from fires today. The situation is all of a sudden very hot, more than 30°C and dry. Fire bans are expected for the north.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I am not sure they are insulting partisan comments. Speaking as an historian, the Greens have much in common with the Red Tory phenomenon.
    https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/red-tory
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'd say go for it with a dedicated thread: in Purgatory if you're going to be polite, or in Hell if you think things are likely to get a bit more, er, heated ...
    Piglet wrote: »
    I'd say go for it with a dedicated thread: in Purgatory if you're going to be polite, or in Hell if you think things are likely to get a bit more, er, heated ...

I have opened one in Purgatory, because I prefer civil debate to name-calling.
  • Driving through an area with a large population of Old Order Mennonite farmers yesterday, we saw one of the usual black horse-drawn buggies, with the usual black-clad, technology-resistant family inside. The driver had his head down, peering into his smart phone. Any less technology-resistant Mennonites here who can explain that?
    I wonder what the Highway Code has to say about using a mobile while driving a horse-drawn cart? :confused:
  • I think it's a motor vehicle. If you're using reins to drive it. The motor is a horse.

If you're sitting in a saddle without holding reins I suspect you could argue the horse is driving.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    There are many tales down here of those attending bush dances and leaving somewhat the worse for wear. Point the horse in the general direction and off it went home. Either with cart. Or with someone on its back.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    When we were in Belfast there was a news story about a man with a horse-drawn cart who was arrested for reckless driving while drunk. The prosecutor argued that this was as bad as driving a motor vehicle while drunk, but the judge said that it wasn't that bad, because even though the driver didn't know how to go in traffic, the horse did.

Pretty scary yesterday evening, with tornados in the area, one passing 3 miles away. Some people we know had some house damage, though none severe, and no significant injuries.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Eek. Hope all the Ottawa folks here are safe.
    Temps moving into the 20s for the next few days!
    I think we are finally starting to see late Spring here too.
  • Don't be too hasty in your optimism. Environment Canada has predicted a cooler than normal summer for southern Ontario. It certainly felt like early April yesterday.
    ... Environment Canada has predicted a cooler than normal summer for southern Ontario ...
    Can you send some of that coolness to New Brunswick? Pretty please?

It's currently 23°, feeling like 25 (I think that's our first actual Humidex of the season). It's quite pleasant, but I'd be very happy if it never got any hotter than that.

I know - I can dream ... :flushed:

I will absolutely not complain if this summer is cooler than the last one. Last summer was brutally hot here.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    We've had such a cold damp spring that I'm actually hoping it will warm up. I usually am the first to complain that it is too warm. I just don't do well in the heat. Facebook brings up memories each day and earlier this week, it showed two different years of lilacs in full bloom. This year, the leaves have barely been out for a week and the flowers are just starting to form up. It will be at least another week before they bloom. Heavy fog here this morning.

• It's been so hot and wet here (southern Ontario) that we can't mow the grass as fast as it's growing - never seen anything like this in all the time we've lived here, and our new trees are growing like teenagers. But a cool summer would be just fine. Anything much above frost brings out the worst in me.
    It’s been really cool and wet in Toronto most of the spring. I don’t really mind it that much though hopefully the summer will give us a bit more sun.
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    ... Heavy fog here this morning.
    We went down to Rothesay yesterday for a wedding this morning, and went into Saint John for dinner last night (East Coast Bistro, and it was beyond excellent and out the other side). It had been a lovely day, but the fog cane down as we were leaving, and it took us ages to find our way out ...

Fog very early on gave way to a glorious day today - perfect wedding weather - sunny, 18° with a tiny sniff of a breeze.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    East Coast Bistro never fails to satisfy. Was the wedding at St. Pauls?
    It was indeed - the Rector's. He's a Newfoundlander, and was D's organ scholar when he was a student at Memorial, and had asked D. to play the before-and-after music (their own organist played for the service itself) and both of us to sing with the choir.
  • Oh, Toronto! NBA champions! Got quite tipsy with friends at a pub last night. Part of what was a beautiful was that the pub crowd looked like the Toronto of today. Quite lovely.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I watched the last 19 seconds. Thought we were going to lose the game when we turned the ball over with 9 seconds to go. Kawhi cooly hit three free throws to ice it with 0.9 seconds left.
  • All the American coverage seems to imply that Toronto won because the Warriors got injured. Ugh. Americans the sorest losers on the planet. Toronto deserved that win, and they would have won it in seven games not six. The Warriors just did everyone a service by tanking early. There was no point where it was a sure bet for them, Toronto made them sweat every point. I'm very happy for Toronto today.

AFF
    The Toronto crowd did not show good sportsmanship when Kevin Durant went down. I'm pretty sure that their reaction made a big difference. Not very Canadian of them!

It sure was nice to wake up this morning and hear that they had won though.
  • AFF - When it was learned that Gretzky buried a Loonie at centre ice for the Olympic final, there were American commentators who said that that was cheating. Apparently they believe in the power of sympathetic magic. Any port in a storm, for them, I suppose.
    Lol - you've got to admit it was a pretty powerful symbol! I still remember the feeling of astonishment and wonder that I felt when it was revealed.
    Well done indeed, Toronto! It was on in our post-choir-practice pub last night, being watched by a vocal, but polite, crowd; it was still going on when we left, and I was very pleased to hear later that they'd won.
  • Lily Pad wrote: »
    The Toronto crowd did not show good sportsmanship when Kevin Durant went down. I'm pretty sure that their reaction made a big difference. Not very Canadian of them!

It sure was nice to wake up this morning and hear that they had won though.

Assholes come in Canadian bacon flavor as well. That doesn't mean anything. That crowd could have been Bostonians at St Louis and it wouldn't have made a difference in the coverage.

Do you remember when the Jays won two world series back to back, the American commentary couldn't segue to the rerun of Dynasty fast enough.

No. Americans just don't know how to win or lose with grace. Sad for them.

I am very impressed with the yeomanlike and humble approach to the game that the Raptors brought. They just kept their heads down and got the job done. They deserve every accolade, and represented well.

AFF

I was doing a children's program for families of SIL missionaries in Lama Kara, Togo, during the 1992 World Series - the only Canadian among a group of 50-60 people, most of whom were Americans. I took a good deal of ribbing early on and then was greeted with both respect and bashfulness as the week went on. I have to say that I was the only person on the compound who was cheering boisterously at the end. It was exciting to be there then and I tried not to rub it in. The Europeans who formed the rest of the group were amused. I remember the whole time there quite fondly. :)
    I was actually living in the US during that World Series... though at least, not in Atlanta.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Watching the Raptors' victory parade online. The route is stalled and the parade is taking much longer than planned.
    Toronto traffic strikes again! :smile:
    But at least in a good cause!
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited June 18
    This afternoon I was meeting an old friend on Bay St after his meeting. Fine, thought I, I can walk from home, stop into my bookshop, put in orders, and meet my friend. As I walked south on Yonge, i thought, How strange - CBC said that the parade was behind schedule but there is a river of people approaching me. It must be over.

It wasn't. The advance estimate was 2m people. The bookshop was an oasis.

But, much as I dislike crowds - Yes, in a good cause.
  • Last night it was hot and there were hours of heavy rain. But around midnight our back garden was suddenly full of fireflies, more than we'd ever seen before. It was an incredibly lovely sight, as if the stars had all dropped out of the sky to dance there. Today the mosquitoes will move in to attack, but that was heavenly.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I am looking forward to meeting Piglet on July 11.
    Absolutely - mini-meet! :)

Are there any other Shippies in NB?
    There was one in Moncton but he got slammed in Hell and has never been seen again. There was at least one more from Moncton on the old Ship and I know at least one from Nova Scotia.
  • JennyAnnJennyAnn Shipmate
    Happy Canada day!
  • Happy DOMINION Day!
    More like Happy Damp Day here. Parade is cancelled and lots of other events are off too. The rain is falling in gusty sheets and the wind is up. This will be a cozy Canada Day here. I even had to put the furnace on! Thankfully, my pup is happily sleeping the morning away.
    We have serious heat and sun here. I am doing housekeeping chores inside for now and probably going to head out a bit later and see some parks and gardens, once the sun is a bit lower in the sky.

Happy Canada Day everyone (and Dominion Day too :smile: ).
    Happy Canada Day - or Dominion Day if you prefer!

Warm and sunny (23°/26 Humidex) here, and the forecast looks fairly promising for the fireworks later on - we'll park at the Cathedral and watch them from the walking-bridge.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    We had warm and windy weather in SJ yesterday. Ms. C. and Littlest C. played characters in the annual Canada Day Ghost Walk yesterday evening.
    We have just listed our Ottawa house for sale and hope to move to southern Ontario by the end of the summer. A big change as we have been in this area for 29 years - basically since we got married.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    We have just listed our Ottawa house for sale and hope to move to southern Ontario by the end of the summer. A big change as we have been in this area for 29 years - basically since we got married.

Will you still be heading to warmer climes for the winter?
    Best of luck with the house sale and move, Sharkshooter!