Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

Comments

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    I hope your house sells quickly but I don't envy you packing in the summer. Been there. Done that.

It is so hot here, I feel like I am melting and it is going to be even hotter tomorrow. Whose idea was this global warming thing anyway?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    You and me both, Lily Pad. It got up to 30° (35 with the Humidex) today, and they're forecasting 33°/39 tomorrow.

I'm not designed for temperatures like that. :flushed:
    The nice thing about here is that there is almost always a breeze. When I lived in your neck of the woods, I sure missed it. This morning, I have every window open and the exhaust fans on. In a little while, I will shut everything up and put dark sheets up over the front windows. Looks like a beach day for many.
  • 31° down here beside the river this morning. There was a brief rain shower and it was hellish. I am going to open the emergency ouzo bottle to dull the senses a little.
    31 degrees here with a humidex of 38 degrees. Was out to the beach and went to the car to get some water and decided it would be wise to head home instead. Not too bad at all inside the house as I'm trying my mother's prairies heat strategy - kept the windows open all night and closed everything up tight mid-morning. That won't work tonight though as the low is going to be 18 degrees. This is unheard of. :) Now that I've heard of it, I still don't believe it. The only wonderful bit is that I have absolutely no reason to be at the music festival this weekend with thousands of people in a field.
    We had an overnight low of 18° last night, and are being offered one of 21° tonight (need that "eek" smiley!).

Our house is long and narrow, with most of the windows facing north, so it could be worse - we left the bedroom window open last night and it wasn't too bad.

We've got heat exchangers, which are very efficient at keeping the place cool - I don't think I'd survive summer without them!
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Lokking forward to the NB Shipmeet with Piglet this evening.
    It was lovely to meet you, and put a face to the name! Sorry we didn't get longer to chat, but afterwards we had to go back to the choir school to register and have a short rehearsal.

Must go now, as it's getting late and we've got a barbarically early start in the morning!
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    It was indeed good to meet you. I will be at the choral evensong on Sunday.
    Jolly good - see you tomorrow! :)
    Great to see you again, @Caissa! Have you ever tried Decimal 81 in Princess Street? We treated ourselves before heading home, and it was amazing (see my post on the Cool Britannia thread for details).
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Good to see you, as well. I hope the knee feels better soon. We have not eaten at Decimal 81 but the meal you and Mr. P. had sounds delicious.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    We have just listed our Ottawa house for sale and hope to move to southern Ontario by the end of the summer. A big change as we have been in this area for 29 years - basically since we got married.

Will you still be heading to warmer climes for the winter?

Of course!
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    We have just listed our Ottawa house for sale and hope to move to southern Ontario by the end of the summer. A big change as we have been in this area for 29 years - basically since we got married.

Of course!

Then we'll have to have a Shipmeet next winter. We didn't manage it this past year.

May I ask where in southern Ontario? (You can PM me if you don't want to let the whole world Ship know.)
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    This is captivating Saint John this morning. The judge begins reading his verdict in less than an hour.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/dennis-oland-murder-trial-decision-verdict-1.5215559
    It's a strange one, that's for sure. I feel like if he did it, and his family is so obviously still okay with him, then what is the point of jail time? And, if he didn't do it, is the investigation ever going to continue? I would not want to be the judge.

In other news, well, weather, which is the main news these days, I am not looking forward to the heat even though I know I should be glad it is not as hot as it is in Ontario.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    By many accounts, the victim was not a popular individual. I would be shocked if the investigation continued after an acquittal.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Dennis Oland was found not guilty of second degree murder.
    This one will be studied for many years to come.
    From the report in Caissa's link, it looks like a classic demonstration of the third option that's available under Scottish law: Not Proven. Basically it means "you did it, we know you did it, but we can't prove it". Having said that, I have no axe to grind, and if Mr. Oland is innocent then I'm glad that he's been found not guilty.

The question remains though: if he didn't do it, then who did?
    Re: heat, we're expecting 34° tomorrow, feeling like 39. Isn't air-conditioning wonderful? :sweat_smile:
    No air conditioning here. Spent the afternoon at a wonderful large off-leash park. My dog went swimming several times and is passed out in her chair now.
  • 3rd afternoon of tremendous thunderstorms with wall clouds and plow winds, tornadoes reported. I saw 2 mesocyclones. Which are very wide slowly rotating clouds at the warm / cold front. Booglingly beautiful while scary as hell.

This isn't my picture but it's what we're seeing. https://twitter.com/CraigHilts71/status/1150254044083965953?s=20
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    My goodness. Beautiful and scary as you wrote. Thank you for sharing.
  • I heard today that our local humidex was 41-44C. As I was about to leave the library I saw that the pavement was wet. Thank the Good Lord, I thought. Wrong. I learned that had rained lightly for fewer than 10 minutes, only increasing the humidity. I pray for a cold front that will cleanse this armpit of a city. I might move to Svaldbard but I am given to understand that the opera company is not top notch.
    A cold front would be lovely. Not too cold, you understand - maybe enough to bring the temperature down to about 20° and no Humidex ...
  • 0°C is my comfort temperature. I would be content if it stayed there. Today the weather prophets are saying 34°C with humidex 43. The cruellest part is when it rains and you get a little respite as the temperature goes down, and then it clears, the temperature goes back up and you are in a steam bath.
    I might move to Svaldbard but I am given to understand that the opera company is not top notch.

I'm glad you have your priorities right.
    :wink:
    Only 27 degrees here with a humidex of 36 but it is a hot hot sun out there - unlike anything that is "normal" for Prince Edward Island. Climate Change is real. There is a bit of a breeze but it is too hot for me! That being said, while we have plenty of music, opera is not on offer. :)
  • The mosquitoes never had it as good as they are having it today. I've never blistered from their bites before and my arms look like the end of the day at Culloden. But it's still not as bad as the beloved classic: https://www.nfb.ca/film/blackfly/
    It's currently 29°/36 here but it got as far up as 32°/38 earlier on. I've spent all day indoors with the coolers on, and I've still managed to get a bite - where do those wee buggers come from??? :anguished:

I could almost handle the heat during the day, but it's apparently only going down to 21° overnight - no respite!
  • Piglet wrote: »
    It's currently 29°/36 here but it got as far up as 32°/38 earlier on. I've spent all day indoors with the coolers on, and I've still managed to get a bite - where do those wee buggers come from??? :anguished:

I could almost handle the heat during the day, but it's apparently only going down to 21° overnight - no respite!

Orkney will surely give you respite from your Biblical plagues!
    It should, as long as the midgies aren't in season ... :fearful:

Mind you, their bites, while a pain, aren't really in the same league as the wee beasties over here!
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Of course!

Then we'll have to have a Shipmeet next winter. We didn't manage it this past year.

May I ask where in southern Ontario? (You can PM me if you don't want to let the whole world Ship know.)

If all goes well, we will be just outside Sarnia, Ontario.

Of course!

If all goes well, we will be just outside Sarnia, Ontario.

An easy rive to Stratford*, one of my favorite places on earth!

* In consideration of the "Accent" thread, I of course mean Stratford, Ontario, though I also love Stratford-on-Avon, England.
    :wink:
    Stratford, ON is probably the furthest west I've ever been; we spent a week there in 2007 rehearsing with the Cathedral Singers of Ontario before embarking on a week's residence at Norwich Cathedral and a couple of concerts in Belgium and Holland.
    I visited Stratford in NZ a few months ago. It has a glockenspiel where Romeo and Juliet pop out at certain times. Unfortunately my visit did not coincide with them and I did not see it in action.
  • We have just listed our Ottawa house for sale and hope to move to southern Ontario by the end of the summer. A big change as we have been in this area for 29 years - basically since we got married.

Caramba! the tropics!! good luck with the real estate and the move-- I am reliably informed that they are life-changing experiences.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    All of the Maritimes is under a heat warning except good old Saint John, N.B. where we are shrouded in fog this morning.
    Well, enjoy it because it is not fun over here. At least we almost always have a nice breeze. But it is hot hot hot. Even the water at the beach is hot. Could walk right in without stopping to get numb like you have to over there.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Yesterday afternoon, my busy driver mistook me for Ken Tobias. The only thing we have in common is a first name and the fact that we live in Saint John, N.B. I was wearing a hat similar to the one he is wearing in the bottom left hand corner of this page. http://www.canadianbands.com/Ken Tobias.html
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Somebody on the subway once thought I was some well-known Canadian comedian - I think maybe one of the Kids in the Hall. I wasn’t that flattered when I got home and realized whoever it was they mistook me for is about 10 years older than me.

Back when I had cheap and ugly glasses numerous people told me I looked like Bill Gates. About the first thing my wife did many years ago when I first started dating her was make me go out and buy a new pair of glasses.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Ken Tobias is 18 years my senior.
  • Hail in Sask looks like snow. This is from yesterday. https://www.ckom.com/2019/07/31/589765/
    Severe.
    Wow!
  • We're getting significant thunderstorms every afternoon or night these days. Trees coming down. Periodic tornadoes spotted. More severe than normal.
    Sorry to read; I hope the severity is not causing too much damage.
    We got the towering fast moving dark clouds last night but not a drop of rain. In other places, it rained heavily for half an hour. At least we didn't get the hail that they had out near you. The heat sure is taking a lot of energy out of me though and I don't have much to start with. I'm sure that any tourists are going home thinking that we have wonderful weather here.
    Today, I am the recipient of a gov't funded heat pump. I fear I may never have anything to talk about anymore as the weather, especially the hot weather, has just become a non-issue in my house. It is a great relief.
    Great news! Enjoy.
    I've just looked at the Freddy forecast for the next few days, and it does look a bit more civilised than it did before we came over the Pond.

It's been lovely over here in Scotland - mostly warm (high teens Centigrade) and mostly sunny - although there was some flooding on our way back to Edinburgh yesterday.