Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

Comments

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Nice and cool here today with a lovely breeze and a forecast for...............rain! YAY! Can't wait for some rain!
  • A warning to all Canadian Shipmates -- I'll be arriving in Stratford, Ontario, Monday evening and staying for the week. I would be most appreciative if you would arrange good weather for me. :wink: At this point it looks as if it should be mostly pleasant with a bit of rain some days. And if anyone is in that area on Friday, 23 August, let me know! My schedule is pretty open that day.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    A warning to all Canadian Shipmates -- I'll be arriving in Stratford, Ontario, Monday evening and staying for the week. I would be most appreciative if you would arrange good weather for me. :wink: At this point it looks as if it should be mostly pleasant with a bit of rain some days. And if anyone is in that area on Friday, 23 August, let me know! My schedule is pretty open that day.

Friday doesn't look too bad so far, but stinking hot and humid until then - thoroughly nasty just now (we're along the road a bit from there). Bring plenty of mosquito repellent. See https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-116_metric_e.html
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Crikey, ST - you can keep those temperatures!

We were in Toronto yesterday (and went up the CN Tower, as you do - I'd never been to TO before, except for the airport), and it was a lot less bad than I'd feared.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Crikey, ST - you can keep those temperatures!

We were in Toronto yesterday (and went up the CN Tower, as you do - I'd never been to TO before, except for the airport), and it was a lot less bad than I'd feared.

You mean Pearson Airport was a lot less bad than you feared? It's probably my least favorite airport in the world!

I've been to Toronto a few times in the distant past, when I lived in the northeast U.S., and had dinner at the top of the CN tower twice. I had planned to do so again a few years ago (I was spending a few days in Toronto on my way to Stratford), but the evening for which I had made reservations was cloudy and rainy, so I cancelled.

As far as the temperatures, remember I live in Arizona. The predicted temperatures are pleasantly cool for me, but the humidity will get to me.

• 4°C overnight with a high of 12 today. Frost warning for tonight.
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    ... You mean Pearson Airport was a lot less bad than you feared?
    No - I was really talking about the heat/humidity. You're right though - Pearson really isn't my favourite airport either.

@NOprophet_NØprofit - seriously??? We're still having overnight lows in the mid-teens, and we're being threatened with 30° on Wednesday. :flushed:
  • @Piglet yes seriously. The digital thermometer this morning said 3.8° at 8:30am. Forecast today is 18 so that's nice.

It was 27 and 28 a week ago.

Meanwhile there's a bear trap out for the one which is prowling around. (The kind of trap where the bear goes in and pulls at the hunk of bacon or whatever and the door slams shut. It's awfully exciting when they catch one. Tremendous noise. Usually at night. )
    Wow! I assume they can move it, with the bear safely in situ and set him free somewhere suitable?
  • Release is the optimistic goal. A problem is limited territory. If a young bear is released into another area it has to stake out a territory among other bears which may kill and eat it. So they do a health assessment and decide what to do. It's not as clear nor as nice as we might imagine.
  • Friday, August 23, the moving truck comes to load our things in Ottawa and deliver to our new home outside Sarnia, Ontario the following Tuesday. After 29 years in Ottawa, this will be a very big change.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Not long now. Hope all goes well for you and all involved.
    All the very best in your new place, @sharkshooter! :)
  • Friday, August 23, the moving truck comes to load our things in Ottawa and deliver to our new home outside Sarnia, Ontario the following Tuesday. After 29 years in Ottawa, this will be a very big change.

Welcome to Huron Shores Land of Enchantment and my best associations with life in Canada.

I hope you will find it home.

AFF
    @Caissa, how are things down your way? It's absolutely chucked rain here all day, and blowing a hoolie at the moment, but at least we've still got electricity - so far ... :flushed:
    In other news, well done to Ms. Andreescu! :smiley:
    I hope you will find it home.

AFF
    It is wonderful!!!
  • Glad you’re liking your new location @sharkshooter

I’ve never actually been to that part of the world, strangely enough.
  • It is wonderful!!!

I find it so. I hope you have the opportunity to explore some of the shoreline communities before the weather closes in.

Welcome! Enjoy!

AFF

• What a storm! Power is back on at my place but most of the Island is still out with trees down everywhere. Don't ever want to go through that again.
  • Glad you made it through the storm. Hoping the other Maritime shipmates are doing OK.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    We weathered the storm in Saint John. King Square lost many old trees.
    I saw pictures of that on Facebook - it's always sad to see broken trees. :cry:

Glad to hear everyone's more-or-less weathered it - I don't think we've ever seen rain as sustained and heavy as that anywhere, and we didn't get anything like as much as some places.
  • Just back from our first ever trip to the Far East - Newfoundland, that is - where we spent a week with friends in a small village on Trinity Bay. I'd seen Newfoundland many times from a plane, but never up close. A wonderfully friendly and endlessly beautiful place. Presbyterians are almost extinct there, and it doesn't seem that they ever really flourished, so we went to our friends' United Church (where we were baffled by some altered hymns. Don't they like to use the word "Lord"? A couple of otherwise familiar hymns substituted "Christ" for "Lord" causing me to trip and stumble). Got some very tasteful photos of us in front of the sign at the excellent Dildo Brewery in another nice village. If I can't make it all the way back to Scotland, I could imagine retiring (again) to Newfoundland.
  • The winters can be a little harsh in Nfld. It is my favourite island, including all of those hot holiday destinations. The warmth of the people make up for it well.
    We lived in Newfoundland for 13 years - it, and its people, are lovely. :heart:
  • In Newfoundland, most all of the Presbyterian churches and the many Methodist that were there elected to take part in Church Union in 1925. Anglican churches on the other hand are all over the place. :) My Nan grew up in a little village on Trinity Bay.

Piglet, be thankful that his cancer was discovered after Labour Day. A family member had the same steps but they were dragged out over almost two months.
  • Lily Pad wrote: »
    In Newfoundland, most all of the Presbyterian churches and the many Methodist that were there elected to take part in Church Union in 1925. Anglican churches on the other hand are all over the place. :) My Nan grew up in a little village on Trinity Bay.
    We were in Whiteway, very close to the water, and visited lots of the other villages. Our dear Piglet might not have enjoyed the church music we experienced. Any one of the hymns was sort of like bread rising in an oven - slow and uneven, and uncertain when it was finished. I'll probably keep on finding excuses to write about this trip - it was almost as close to Heaven as the Hebrides.

• It was 31C here a few minutes ago, humid, and the mosquitoes have all been restored to life. Oy vey! This is supposed to be autumn. But we're heading to the perfect climate of Scotland tomorrow.
  • That's quite different than today's high of +4 here, with last night -3 low. Snow is on the ground as of 3 days ago.
    Crikey, NP - how far north are you???

It's certainly beginning to feel a wee bit autumnal here: it got up to 13° today.

@Stercus Tauri - I need a "seriously envious" smilie right now ... :mrgreen:
  • Weirdly the snow is in southern Sask. To the north and east, it's been raining not snowing. We pulled the tomatoes 4 days ago, just in time. People from Sask always seem to start with the weather - "cold enough for you?" (or snowy, or hot or mosquitos or ice or rain or windy). This may be a national trait.
    Conversations in Newfoundland tended to be quite weather-related too: "if you don't like the weather out the front, have a look out the back".
    In the weather here today, it is misty/rainy and breezy. Really not tempted to get outside today. The dog is totally raring to go though so I may need to get out my raincoat.
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    ... misty/rainy and breezy ...
    Gale-force fog and horizontal rain?
    Piglet wrote: »
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    ... misty/rainy and breezy ...
    Gale-force fog and horizontal rain?

Well, yes, sort of but I wouldn't want to alarm anyone. :) It is quite a bit nicer now and supposed to be quite good tomorrow.
    It's been really nice here for several days: not all that warm, but bright and sunny, and the trees getting prettier by the minute.

I'd like it to stay like that while my sister and niece are here, but I'm not holding my breath ...
    Dull and raining here today. We have Farm Day in the City on Sunday and it looks like it may clear by then. I sure hope so. It is a huge outdoor event. Thankfully, a new friend has gone off for a long walk with my canine companion and I am testing out the new heat pump to see if it can warm the house. So far, it is not the greatest. I hope the weather is nice for your sister and niece. You all deserve some fine weather!
    Thanks, LP! It's been quite cool here today - despite Environment Canada's promises, it only got up to 9° - and I'm afraid I've caved and turned on the heat in the sitting-room and bedroom.

Still not putting socks on though ... :mrgreen:
  • Expected lots of Canadian comments this morning - not one! Did the election put everyone to sleep? I'm only a spectator here - can't vote - but was glad that our local MP was re-elected. He's a decent, hard working man who is present and visible, and has done some sterling work helping refugee cases through the system.
  • Hard to muster any enthusiasm for any of the candidates and the results are equally as lacklustre. Watch we'll be back at the polls again by June.

AFF
  • The pundits are variously expressing punditry. Which is a lovely word "punditry". It could be a tree or a nice place in India. (Shakes head, stops brushing teeth with hand lotion. Does it taste better than toothpaste?)

(Shakes head, carefully chooses necktie, muttering to the cat that it mustn't be blue, red, orange, green nor grey. Ends up with a brownish one, like the dirty brown of the endless prairie waiting for snow. Dear wife notices that he's wearing unmatched socks. The cat meows, and I comment that matching is particularly bourgeois and that I feel like clashing today . In a civilized country, I'd go back to bed.)
    Lol, Noprophet_Noprofit, that was awfully clever of you to notice the colour of your tie. I turned the radio off after the morning show as it was far too much too soon. Around here, the same four were returned to office, one for his tenth term. At least the Greens have made a few people nervous. Spent the day out at the beach and along a couple of Heritage Roads. Sun today. Rain tomorrow. Might be the same for the government.
    Poor NP - you're not really having a good day, are you?

Like Stercus Tauri, I haven't got a vote, so my opinion doesn't matter, but I'm relieved we haven't got Mr. Scheer as Prime Minister, and can presumably continue to be (along with New Zealand) a beacon of civilisation in a political world that seems to be going a bit bonkers.
  • Two well-known and well-liked Canadian writers died in the last few weeks, Bob Green and his wife, Veronica Ross. Bob was also a prolific artist, but his writings are a memorable delight - right up with Stephen Leacock's humour. Bob wrote (mostly) about life in small town Ontario, but Veronica wrote serious biographies amongst other things. Most people didn't know how ill she was, but she followed Bob very quickly. There was a memorial gathering for them today with a lot of story-telling. They married when Bob turned 80, his observation on it being that if it didn't work out, he wouldn't have to suffer for very long... That was nine years ago.
  • First snow on Friday! Poppy-sellers at the métro stations!

Ottawavians now have an underground railway. Allergic to series of initials after years in HM service, I cannot bring myself to call it the LRT. My Venezuelan letter carrier refers to it as the subnieve (under-snow railway). There was apparently a lot of trouble with it functioning smoothly and we've a red-faced mayor on the topic, but I've not experienced any problems. It is, however, useless for Anglicans in my neck of the woods, as it brings none of us near to Saint Onoforio's or Saint Wendy's-- if one doesn't mind a bit of backtracking, it does save a walk up the hill to the Cathedral.

I've checked with a CBC friend, and there was no blessing or ecclesiastical presence at the opening.

Yet another disappointment for the Contemporary Collects folk: Giver of all goodness, so direct the trams and trains of this underground transit system so that, timely and frequent in their operation, they may so operate as to sustain the serenity of the people of this city, so that they may turn their commuting musing to thoughts of mercy and good works, avoiding inappropriate texting and downloading, not to mention sneering at other passengers, and cleaving always to that which pleases You most, through..
    That's definitely one for the next edition of the Prayer Book, Augustine! :smiley:
  • It's been snowing here, which it's not supposed to do this early, and the government weather website keeps crashing. If they fix the website, maybe it will fix the weather too.
  • We are being snowed on, and I am home with the first seasonal cold of the 2019-2020 season. It is probably too much to hope that fixing the Environment Canada website will also cure my cold.

We went up to the McMichael gallery in Kleinberg (aka Vaughan) on the weekend. It's amazing how much Vaughan has expanded in the last few years. The McMichael fortunately is located in a conservation area. We were quite impressed by the collections on display - a selection from the permanent collection (emphasis on Group of Seven plus associated artists), but also some impressively put together temporary exhibits. Worth a visit if you're in the neighbourhood.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Do we have to talk about The Grapes and Wrath? Ugh.

I'm not sad about Don Cherry getting the heave-ho from his broadcasting position. Racist bullshit ought not to be tolerated. The only tiny bit of sadness I feel is that he's an old dude who is not coping very well with change. I can't imagine how Mississauga must have changed, from his perspective, in the last 50 years or so. I would have hoped that Hazel McCallion, another parishioner at Trinity, Streetsville, might have tuned him up.
  • Leaf wrote: »
    Do we have to talk about The Grapes and Wrath? Ugh.

I'm not sad about Don Cherry getting the heave-ho from his broadcasting position. Racist bullshit ought not to be tolerated. The only tiny bit of sadness I feel is that he's an old dude who is not coping very well with change. I can't imagine how Mississauga must have changed, from his perspective, in the last 50 years or so. I would have hoped that Hazel McCallion, another parishioner at Trinity, Streetsville, might have tuned him up.
    The story that's been told is that he reinforced what he said, and did not recognize nor retract anything. It's rather pathetic, but also normal for him.

Apparently he rated in the greatest Canadian list in 2004 when there was TV show to that effect. I knew it was bogus then and know it is bogus now because (a) no women are on the list, (b) John Candy isn't one of the ten. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Canadian