Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

123457»

Comments

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Nice and cool here today with a lovely breeze and a forecast for...............rain! YAY! Can't wait for some rain!
  • A warning to all Canadian Shipmates -- I'll be arriving in Stratford, Ontario, Monday evening and staying for the week. I would be most appreciative if you would arrange good weather for me. :wink: At this point it looks as if it should be mostly pleasant with a bit of rain some days. And if anyone is in that area on Friday, 23 August, let me know! My schedule is pretty open that day.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    A warning to all Canadian Shipmates -- I'll be arriving in Stratford, Ontario, Monday evening and staying for the week. I would be most appreciative if you would arrange good weather for me. :wink: At this point it looks as if it should be mostly pleasant with a bit of rain some days. And if anyone is in that area on Friday, 23 August, let me know! My schedule is pretty open that day.

Friday doesn't look too bad so far, but stinking hot and humid until then - thoroughly nasty just now (we're along the road a bit from there). Bring plenty of mosquito repellent. See https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-116_metric_e.html
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Crikey, ST - you can keep those temperatures!

We were in Toronto yesterday (and went up the CN Tower, as you do - I'd never been to TO before, except for the airport), and it was a lot less bad than I'd feared.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Crikey, ST - you can keep those temperatures!

We were in Toronto yesterday (and went up the CN Tower, as you do - I'd never been to TO before, except for the airport), and it was a lot less bad than I'd feared.

You mean Pearson Airport was a lot less bad than you feared? It's probably my least favorite airport in the world!

I've been to Toronto a few times in the distant past, when I lived in the northeast U.S., and had dinner at the top of the CN tower twice. I had planned to do so again a few years ago (I was spending a few days in Toronto on my way to Stratford), but the evening for which I had made reservations was cloudy and rainy, so I cancelled.

As far as the temperatures, remember I live in Arizona. The predicted temperatures are pleasantly cool for me, but the humidity will get to me.

• 4°C overnight with a high of 12 today. Frost warning for tonight.
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    ... You mean Pearson Airport was a lot less bad than you feared?
    No - I was really talking about the heat/humidity. You're right though - Pearson really isn't my favourite airport either.

@NOprophet_NØprofit - seriously??? We're still having overnight lows in the mid-teens, and we're being threatened with 30° on Wednesday. :flushed:
  • @Piglet yes seriously. The digital thermometer this morning said 3.8° at 8:30am. Forecast today is 18 so that's nice.

It was 27 and 28 a week ago.

Meanwhile there's a bear trap out for the one which is prowling around. (The kind of trap where the bear goes in and pulls at the hunk of bacon or whatever and the door slams shut. It's awfully exciting when they catch one. Tremendous noise. Usually at night. )
    Wow! I assume they can move it, with the bear safely in situ and set him free somewhere suitable?
  • Release is the optimistic goal. A problem is limited territory. If a young bear is released into another area it has to stake out a territory among other bears which may kill and eat it. So they do a health assessment and decide what to do. It's not as clear nor as nice as we might imagine.
  • Friday, August 23, the moving truck comes to load our things in Ottawa and deliver to our new home outside Sarnia, Ontario the following Tuesday. After 29 years in Ottawa, this will be a very big change.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Not long now. Hope all goes well for you and all involved.
    All the very best in your new place, @sharkshooter! :)
  • Friday, August 23, the moving truck comes to load our things in Ottawa and deliver to our new home outside Sarnia, Ontario the following Tuesday. After 29 years in Ottawa, this will be a very big change.

Welcome to Huron Shores Land of Enchantment and my best associations with life in Canada.

I hope you will find it home.

AFF
    @Caissa, how are things down your way? It's absolutely chucked rain here all day, and blowing a hoolie at the moment, but at least we've still got electricity - so far ... :flushed:
    In other news, well done to Ms. Andreescu! :smiley:
    I hope you will find it home.

AFF
    It is wonderful!!!
  • Glad you’re liking your new location @sharkshooter

I’ve never actually been to that part of the world, strangely enough.
  • It is wonderful!!!

I find it so. I hope you have the opportunity to explore some of the shoreline communities before the weather closes in.

Welcome! Enjoy!

AFF

• What a storm! Power is back on at my place but most of the Island is still out with trees down everywhere. Don't ever want to go through that again.
  • Glad you made it through the storm. Hoping the other Maritime shipmates are doing OK.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    We weathered the storm in Saint John. King Square lost many old trees.
    I saw pictures of that on Facebook - it's always sad to see broken trees. :cry:

Glad to hear everyone's more-or-less weathered it - I don't think we've ever seen rain as sustained and heavy as that anywhere, and we didn't get anything like as much as some places.
  • Just back from our first ever trip to the Far East - Newfoundland, that is - where we spent a week with friends in a small village on Trinity Bay. I'd seen Newfoundland many times from a plane, but never up close. A wonderfully friendly and endlessly beautiful place. Presbyterians are almost extinct there, and it doesn't seem that they ever really flourished, so we went to our friends' United Church (where we were baffled by some altered hymns. Don't they like to use the word "Lord"? A couple of otherwise familiar hymns substituted "Christ" for "Lord" causing me to trip and stumble). Got some very tasteful photos of us in front of the sign at the excellent Dildo Brewery in another nice village. If I can't make it all the way back to Scotland, I could imagine retiring (again) to Newfoundland.
  • The winters can be a little harsh in Nfld. It is my favourite island, including all of those hot holiday destinations. The warmth of the people make up for it well.
    We lived in Newfoundland for 13 years - it, and its people, are lovely. :heart: