Absent Friends meet, London

SpikeSpike Admin
edited January 8 in All Saints
It has become our custom to meet around the end of January or beginning of February to raise a glass or seven in honour of all departed shipmates, but especially Gambit and ken who were both regular attenders at London shipmeets. Our usual venue is The Jugged Hare near Victoria station https://juggedharevictoria.co.uk

So, I suggest either 26th January or 2nd February. All welcome, even (or especially) if you’ve never been to a shipment before.

Who’s up for it and what date suits everyone?

Comments

• Me! :)
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    What time of day are people considering?
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    It's usually in the evening, although when people have wanted to be around earlier we have extended it to include a visit to the Tate or other meets earlier.

Currently I can do either proposed date, as much as I can do anything at the moment. Do you want me to contact Yangtze and rosamundi?
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I don't live in the UK anymore. I hope you have a good evening.
  • Do you want me to contact Yangtze and rosamundi?
    Yes please. I’ll put something on the Ship Facebook group once we’ve agreed on a date as well
  • As for dates, 2nd Feb works best for me
  • YangtzeYangtze Shipmate
    I was just thinking about this so have signed into the boards for the first time since registering for the new boards!!
    I can’t do 26 Jan but the Feb date is fine. I’d really like to be there so am crossing my fingers Feb 2nd works for most.
  • I won’t be there this year due to impending fatherhood.
    But such a good excuse for not coming
  • I won’t be there this year due to impending fatherhood.

Or impeding fatherhood. Good luck, best wishes, etc, etc.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    What a good reason, Marvin the Martian! (Because who needs sleep or money anyway, right?) Hoping for safe and healthy interplanetary arrival.
    And thanks to
    But such a good excuse for not coming

Indeed! So very happy for you.

• So are we going with 2nd Feb then?
    Looks like it - only you and Yangtze have stated a preference of those who want to go, and you both would prefer 2 February.

Only @MMM, of other regulars on the Ship, hasn't commented yet. Most of the others don't seem to have signed up and/or not signed up to the New Ship™ under their original names. (I've just tried flagging various Shipmates and come up with no matches.)
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Sorry, I haven’t commented yet, because we don’t quite know what’s happening yet. We certainly can’t do the January date and don’t know yet whether we can do the Feb. date.

So I suggest something is decided and we’ll play it by ear.

MMM
    Let’s do 2nd Feb then.

But are there really so few London based (or thereabouts) Shipmates these days?

Surely there are some new regulars (and irregulars) around!
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Every year I say I'm going to come and then never make it! Not sure if I'll be in London on the 2nd but if I am I'll try and get there.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    2 Feb is now a no-go for us as well, sorry to miss everyone.

Have fun, each

MMM
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    I will raise a glass down here.
    edited January 20
    I did contact @rosamundi and she knows that the 2 February is the date.

I'd like to come, but I haven't managed to get out for a walk for a few days as the offspring hasn't felt safe being left for a couple of hours. With travel and some time in the Jugged Hare, it's going to be more than a couple of hours to come out to this.
  • EliabEliab Shipmate, Purgatory Host
    I should be there on 2 Feb.
  • So what time shall we meet then?
  • I shall continue to maintain my Shipmeet virginity. I am required at home to be doting Granddad/peacekeeper at a birthday party. Enjoy yourselves and I shall raise a glass in memory of those who have left us.
    @sionisais I tried, I tried when I was in Wales a few years ago.

@Spike - what time works for you? I'm not pushing this as I am doubtful I can get there, but if I can make it I am not going to be sensibly there until 7:30-8:00pm, and then leaving well before closing time.
    Spike wrote: »
    So what time shall we meet then?

7? Are we doing Jugged Hare as per usual?

• I was thinking 7-8ish. They stop serving food at 9
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    I might be able to come, as I'm near London for a few days. But I've never been to a shipmeet before, so I don't know what you all look like, so not sure how to find you.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    LOL at my first Shipmeet I found Shipmates to be easily recognisable. I don't know quite what it is but there's something Shippy about us.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »
    I shall continue to maintain my Shipmeet virginity. [...]

Not quite true. A mini-meet was had very many a moon ago. And most pleasant it was too!
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    edited February 2
    LeRoc wrote: »
    LOL at my first Shipmeet I found Shipmates to be easily recognisable. I don't know quite what it is but there's something Shippy about us.
    Definitely fineline. Treebee and I recognised each other on pedestrian crossing in Sydney, a story I have told before. Cusanus, Evangeline and I knew immediately outside chinese place in Chinatown. And there are other similar stories.
    PeteC was recognisable easily because of wheelchair. However he knew the others without having seen them before. We went to Evensong at CCSL. Afterwards I looked up and was sure the person standing several rows behind us was Nunc Dimittis. Indeed, it was.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Have a good time this evening, all.

MMM
  • QohelethQoheleth Shipmate
    Hi - I had been following this, as I'm already in town today. However, I think I'll head back home before the temperature drops. #Snowmageddon.
    I am very doubtful - we had a 2am dither about ambulances a couple of nights ago and today doesn't look good.
    fineline wrote: »
    I might be able to come, as I'm near London for a few days. But I've never been to a shipmeet before, so I don't know what you all look like, so not sure how to find you.

Do come. I’ll try and remember to bring a piece of paper and draw a Ship or write SoF on it or something so that you don’t have to wander up to tables of people asking if they are Shipmates! Though as others have said, the likelihood is you’ll get it right first time anyway.
  • Yangtze wrote: »
    Do come. I’ll try and remember to bring a piece of paper and draw a Ship or write SoF on it or something so that you don’t have to wander up to tables of people asking if they are Shipmates!

@Smudgie , are you following this discussion? ;)
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Yangtze wrote: »
    Do come. I’ll try and remember to bring a piece of paper and draw a Ship or write SoF on it or something so that you don’t have to wander up to tables of people asking if they are Shipmates!

@Smudgie , are you following this discussion? ;)

Sadly I am off gallivanting in the Midlands this weekend.
  • Well yes, I'm not there either, but I thought the above exchange might have triggered some memories...
  • SmudgieSmudgie Shipmate
    Indeed it did - memories of a picnic on the beach at Sidmouth :)
  • EliabEliab Shipmate, Purgatory Host
    Not around after all. Have fun the rest of you.
  • Qoheleth wrote: »
    Hi - I had been following this, as I'm already in town today. However, I think I'll head back home before the temperature drops. #Snowmageddon.

The forecast isn’t too bad. It’d be great to see you if you could make it
    Yangtze wrote: »
    fineline wrote: »

Do come. I’ll try and remember to bring a piece of paper and draw a Ship or write SoF on it or something so that you don’t have to wander up to tables of people asking if they are Shipmates! Though as others have said, the likelihood is you’ll get it right first time anyway.

Thank you. I am coming.

Got here very early and currently watching the rugby on a table right in front of a screen downstairs. We may have to move to a larger table - not sure how many of us there are now.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Hope you all had a good evening - no-one’s commented yet!

MMM
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    edited February 4
    I managed to completely forget - sorry! - so had a glass of wine in Gambit's honour at home instead. Hope you all had a great time :)
    Yes, it was good. It was just four people - Yangtze, Spike, Tina and me. It was nice to meet some Ship people. It was quite a noisy pub, but with nice pies.
  • Tubbs wrote: »
    I managed to completely forget - sorry! - so had a glass of wine in Gambit's honour at home instead. Hope you all had a great time :)

If it wasn’t out of a grubby milk bottle, it doesn’t count
  • fineline wrote: »
    Yes, it was good. It was just four people - Yangtze, Spike, Tina and me. It was nice to meet some Ship people. It was quite a noisy pub, but with nice pies.

It was lovely to meet you too. And yes, those pies are fantastic!