RIP Leo

Hi everyone,

I regret to inform you that Leo (Real life name Derek Jay) died in his sleep early yesterday morning. Derek had been ill since mid-November with stage 4 lung cancer which also had spread to his spine and hip.
Derek was a great friend to me here on the ship, especially as a teenager and young adult, as he and I used to organise ship meets in Bath and Bristol fairly regularly.
Derek also introduced me to a pub that I often go into whenever I'm in the Clifton area of Bristol.
Derek also made a fine contribution in the field of Jewish-Christian relations, and was a lay-reader at his local parish Church.

He'll be sorely missed, IRL and I'm sure here on the Ship.
May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, Rest in Peace.

Amen.
Tagged:

Comments

• Thank you for keeping us informed @Catholic Max. A few of us picked up that leo was unwell in December and were concerned about him.

I've had run ins with leo on the Ship over the years, as have many of us, but any death diminishes us as a community, removing some of the warp and weft that adds to the fabric and variety.
  • I am so sorry to read this. Thank you for letting us know, @Catholic Max.

For all in Derek that was good and kind and faithful, thanks be to God. May he rest in peace.
  • So sorry to hear this, I learned a great deal from Leo's posts. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    So sorry to hear this @Catholic Max , sympathy and condolences.
  • Can't add anything more, but I'm sure he'll be missed both on this vessel and in real life.
  • My condolences on this sad news, may he rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    That is really sad. He was a lovely person.
  • tclunetclune Shipmate
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'll miss his presence on the Ship.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I had many lovely exchanges with him and always welcomed his posts. The news saddens me, but gladdens me as well to know that he has taken his place at table at the Heavenly Banquet, where he will see God face to face.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    May light perpetual shine upon him.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    edited January 8
    Thank you, @Catholic Max, for letting us know about leo's passing. May he rest in peace and rise in Glory.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    So sorry to hear this news.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    I'll miss Leo. Another good one has left us too soon.
  • 🕯RIP Leo. May you soar on the wings of heaven, uplifted and held in God's love.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    RIP
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    I am sorry to hear of Leo's passing. Although he and I often had different points of view I always respected what he had to say. May he find welcome and joy.
  • Thanks, @Catholic Max .

RIPARIG, leo - there will be at least one Blue-Scarfed Menace in Heaven!
    :wink:
  • Thank you for letting us know, @CatholicMax .
    Rest in peace, Leo.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    So sorry to hear this. Thanks for letting us know.
  • A Feminine ForceA Feminine Force Shipmate
    edited January 8
    Godspeed, Leo. Many hugs to your nearest and dearest. We look forward to our reunion in resurrection.

AFF
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    Thanks for letting us know, Catholic Max.

RIP Leo 🕯
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    RIP Leo
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Sad to hear this. RIP Leo
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Sorry to hear that, and thanks to Max for letting us know.

RIP Leo.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Such sad news... I never really interacted with him, but I appreciated and valued his presence here.

May his memory be eternal!
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Thank you for the news, @Catholic Max. Rest in peace, Leo. The Ship is the lesser without you.
  • May the angels lead Leo into paradise;
    may the martyrs receive him at his arrival
    and lead him to the holy city Jerusalem.
    May choirs of angels receive him
    and with Lazarus, may he have eternal rest.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    So sorry to learn this; my condolences.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Very sad. RIP. <votive>
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    May he Rest In Peace and Rise in Glory. He will indeed be missed.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    Thanks for letting us know, Max, I remember Leo well from Bristol shipmeets where he always had something interesting (and controversial!) to say. Does Pyx_e know yet, if anyone is in touch with him I'm sure he'd like to know. I can also let Viola and Starbelly know (not sure if they have joined the new, digitally remastered Ship or not.)

RIP Leo.
  • StooStoo Shipmate
    I am sorry to hear this. Leo always had something interesting to share. RIP.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Sorry to hear of Leo's passing. Prayers for all who knew and loved him.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    This is very sad news to hear. Thank you, Max, for the news.
  • ferijenferijen Shipmate
    I just saw this on a tweet. What sad, sad news. Rest in peace Leo.
  • Sorry - that was me tweeting
  • Catholic MaxCatholic Max Shipmate
    edited January 9
    Chorister wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know, Max, I remember Leo well from Bristol shipmeets where he always had something interesting (and controversial!) to say. Does Pyx_e know yet, if anyone is in touch with him I'm sure he'd like to know. I can also let Viola and Starbelly know (not sure if they have joined the new, digitally remastered Ship or not.)

RIP Leo.

I’ll call Pyx_e tomorrow. I know who he is IRL

[Edited to remove duplicate quotes - Piglet, AS host]
  • (And I've contacted Pyx_e who said:
    I often bumped into Derek at the Cathedral but had not seen him recently. I did not know he was ill. Well he can finally sort out the Jewish questions that he loved so much – face to face.)
  • Sorry to hear this sad news. RIP Leo.
  • Sorry to hear this. I used to know him when I went to the sister church in the benefice. Very sad.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Sad news. RIP
  • Very sorry to hear this, and to have the suffering in the last few weeks, which I feared but had no definite informaiton about, proved. A person whose insights I valued. May he rest in peace, in the love of God.
  • AnnAnn Shipmate
    Sorry to hear this. May light perpetual shine upon him.
  • Sad news. Thank you for the share. My he be received with joy.
  • TonyKTonyK Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Sorry to hear about Leo - met him at several Bristol shipmeets.

Rest eternal grant unto him, O Lord
    And may light perpetual shine upon him

• <votive> May light perpetual shine upon him. Go in peace, Leo.
  • PatdysPatdys Shipmate
    Question in peace Leo.
  • I am very sorry to hear this. May his memory be eternal. May his soul reside with the blessed.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Sad news.

MMM
  • RIP Leo whose presence will be missed.