We've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years now.

Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
Dying.

And other sapients have been doing it for ten times longer. Millions of years. A hundred, a thousand times. In this blip in eternity universe alone.

So is heaven regional? With a regional Incarnation?

When did the first terrestrial sapient get there and how was that? I'm sure, like busses, there was another one along in a minute. After a bit of a wait.

How has the Sublime always and forever worked?

How credible is it? How does one walk down its streets?

Comments

• EutychusEutychus Admin
    edited January 12
    Martin54 wrote: »
    I'm sure, like busses, there was another one along in a minute. After a bit of a wait.

You know I'm going to answer this with CS Lewis' The Great Divorce, which starts thus:
    I SEEMED to be standing in a bus queue by the side of a long, mean street. Evening was just closing in and it was raining. I had been wandering for hours in similar mean streets, always in the rain and always in evening twilight.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    edited January 12
    I'm there. But it's getting darker and colder. Or we wake up to that?! Great. Well, I suppose if we keep pinching ourselves, testing the reality. How long before we step out in to the traffic? I know. Ground Hog Day.
  • CS Lewis again, from Perelandra, when Ransom is about to go into battle against the Un-Man, but this time actually quoting Scripture, Psalm 17:15:
    When I awake, I shall be satisfied with thy likeness
    I'm smiling now. Nearly. Briefly.
    There's a Purg version. All let rip here tho'. Please. Dump away.
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    edited January 12
    Happy to oblige.

[ETA the screaming vocalising should be considered alongside the actual lyrics]
  • TBH, I sometimes think that oblivion (or eternal sleep, if you prefer) is Not A Bad Thing.

But, as Hamlet says:

“To die, to sleep – to sleep, perchance to dream – ay, there's the rub, for in this sleep of death what dreams may come…”
  • TBH, I sometimes think that oblivion (or eternal sleep, if you prefer) is Not A Bad Thing.
    Same here. The idea of oblivion is frankly not something that scares me or particularly makes me feel the need for comfort.

• If anyone's experienced a general anaesthetic (and, of course, recovered!), you'll know that it's not exactly painful....
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    When I think of peaceful deaths, I want to go in my sleep like my granddad.

And not screaming, like his passengers.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Aaaand hang on a minute.

Martin, you've posted this OP in both Hell and Purgatory, and I'm thinking that this is more Purgatorial than Hellish. So, by divine right and hubristic fiat, I'm going to close this one. Any objections, apply to the usual place.

DT
    HH
This discussion has been closed.