Thank you Prince Philip!

1234568»

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Members of the royal family have been taken to court for driving offences before, I do believe the cps is treating him much as they would A non-celebrity.

Exactly. 97 year olds don't get charged for this sort of offence.

There was a case here a couple of years ago when an 88 year old man was charged with murder and convicted. As the victim was a law enforcement officer attached to a government department, the man was sentenced to something like 25 years. I gather he's actually detained in a prison hospital, but he will spend his last years in custody. But there's a bit of a difference between murder and the possible charges here.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Members of the royal family have been taken to court for driving offences before, I do believe the cps is treating him much as they would A non-celebrity.

Exactly. 97 year olds don't get charged for this sort of offence.

There was a case here a couple of years ago when an 88 year old man was charged with murder and convicted. As the victim was a law enforcement officer attached to a government department, the man was sentenced to something like 25 years. I gather he's actually detained in a prison hospital, but he will spend his last years in custody. But there's a bit of a difference between murder and the possible charges here.

See my quote above of an 82 year old who wasn't charged with murder because it wasn't in the public interest (in the opinion of the CPS) but the police were convinced they had enough to have a realistic chance of conviction; the victim, his wife, did not have a terminal illness.
  • Did the Crown think they had RPC? It's their opinion that counts.
  • Had a good friend who did not realize she ran a red light causing a crash. While her car insurance paid for the damage, she was not ticketed for causing the accident because of her diminished mental capacity. She can no longer drive a car, though.
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    Had a good friend who did not realize she ran a red light causing a crash. While her car insurance paid for the damage, she was not ticketed for causing the accident because of her diminished mental capacity. She can no longer drive a car, though.
    This would be investigated here: her physician or any other care provider who did not report her incapacity.
  • Oh well - that's it then. Mind you we've got one good thing out of this: Philip's law. If you cause a crash then on your next trip out make sure you don't wear a seat belt. You're allowed one chance at each without fear of court
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    If you're 97, that is.
  • Oh no …. that's ageism that is. It simply won't do. Not PLU
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Ageism yes, but that's how it goes.