'read aloud'

Not sure what I just did - the fact that I'm getting used to a new computer may not be helping - but I copied a post from one of the biblical inerrancy threads to put it into the homosexuality thread and somehow triggered a thing I didn't know existed that reads the thing aloud, and I can't work out how to get rid of it.

Help!

Comments

• Further - when I went back to the thread the 'read aloud' appeared at first to have gone away on its own. So I posted my comment and then started on a follow-up - and the read aloud thing came back. I'm pretty totally puzzled.
  • The only possible explanation is that your computer is possessed. (But aren't they all?)
  • You may be almost right there, Pigwidgeon! I'm now writing on the old and slightly dying computer which doesn't seem to be affected and allowed me to complete my DH posts.

I think the problem is probably that I inadvertently triggered something in the 'Cortana' app - which is a kind of built-in 'spirit' if you think about it - with which I am totally inexperienced. But as far as I could tell initially it did appear to be a problem of the Ship, whence my query here. Hopefully will have that and other new computer glitches sorted over the coming week....
  • Hopefully will have that and other new computer glitches sorted over the coming week....
    If not, you could try exorcism.
    :wink:

• Read-aloud add-ons are becoming increasingly common on browsers and in operating systems. It wouldn't surprise me if these come as default components in some new browsers. In which case, I'd suggest checking your browser settings. Or, as you suggest other components installed on your new computer.