Dating thread

One of the reasons for starting this board was for a new Dating Thread.

There have been a few dating threads on the Ship over the years - and the Ship has been a good way to meet partners. We did try counting up how many of the couples around met through the Ship, but ran out of fingers and toes. This number includes a number of couples I'm still in contact with who have drifted away from posting on the Ship.

This thread is the opportunity to post if you are interested in meeting new people, declaring your availability or not. There is always the PM function for private conversations should that become appropriate.

Comments

• As I started this, I'll post first.

I am female and single, but really not looking. Life is currently too complicated as it is without adding additional wrinkles. I suspect that some of that is fear that having been single so long, who knows what's still working? the knowledge that in my late 50s I may be the same size as I was as a teenager, but gravity is taking over, so things have changed in the last 30 or 40 years, and having overcome all those fears about not matching anything out there in there in advertising, after being on my own so long, how easy would it be to adapt to being around anyone else.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited February 5
    Female, single, no children, looking for the right woman.

By which I mean someone who is:
    • UK based
    • within 10 years either way of 40
    • into cats
    • into reading
    • into board and video games / rpgs such as D&D
    • amused by comedians like Victoria Wood, Sarah Millican, Susan Calman, Dara Ó Briain, Jeremy Hardy, David Mitchell, Andi Osho
    • broadly left wing politically
    • in sympathy with a Quaker perspective, even if they are not religious themselves
    • not vegetarian (being able to share meals is important to me, and I am not a veggie myself)

Have tried internet dating with little success, so I am open to meeting up for a coffee/lunch and going to do something mildly interesting - film / museum / sightseeing etc - even if it goes nowhere at least we’ll have had an afternoon out :)
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Male, mid-30s, effectively married to work.

Kept my head down most of my life, first with studying and then with work. Having gotten a little more settled in my career in my early 30s I stuck my head above the parapet, only to get it shot off several times over the next couple of years (I might expand later on the 8th day if we go for a "worst dates" thread).

Am too evangelical for a lot of liberals and too liberal for a lot of evangelicals. For those in the middle ground, I simply wasn't hot enough. "[Nice guy, but no]," was the usual refrain. So I threw myself back into working full time.

Maybe, when I hit my mid 70s and am able to retire, I might look again. Until then, though, I just get on with work, save for a deposit for my own home and hopefully get a cat.
  • @Doublethink have you tried online rpg gaming? I can think of a group where there may be people that match your list. It can't be the only one.

@Sipech a couple of the Shipmates who posted on the old dating threads for years and years are now happily married and settled down. @la vie en rouge was one, iirc, who is now married with baby Captain Pyjamas, and another who is no longer around but continues to record daily shots of her happily married life (with another erstwhile Shipmate) and two adorable kids on Flickr. If I can start going out reliably, would you be interested in a monthly Ship walk?

Way back when, ken moaned about never meeting anyone, and I remember pointing out that the Ship Meet he'd been to that last week there had been five single women of different ages - me included - so he was meeting people.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    There are at least 3 married couples who met on Northern shipmeets that I am aware of.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    @Curiosity killed I somehow doubt the Ship is the right place for me to meet anyone. I get the impression that, being in my 30s, I'm the youngest around here by a good 10-15 years.
  • There are others who are younger who are around, although I am not sure how many transferred; my daughter, who is now 30, didn't. But we've been to a number of meets (over the last 12 years) where other offspring came along too, and they ranged in age from babes in arms to adult.
  • I’m begining to wonder if I am the only person on this thread, hoping to meet someone via this thread.
  • I’m begining to wonder if I am the only person on this thread, hoping to meet someone via this thread.

Well not necessarily but we shouldn't necessarily get our hopes up too high based on each other's presence.....
  • Does this mean all the singleton Shipmates are settled in single life? Not even a post to test the water and see if there is anything better out there?
  • I think I’ve got to that point, @Curiosity killed but I’d hope that I’m flexible enough to become less settled if someone came into my life.

I’ve yet to discover how to be more settled at traditionally family times, like Christmas and Easter and I have considered probably every strategy, the most successful is to go away but I’d love to have Christmas at home surrounded by the familiar rather than with strangers.

What has concerned me, bubbling away in the background, has been what I’ll do when I get to the point when many parents get help from their children, and I was interested to find Aging Well Without Children and the MHA Live At Home scheme.
  • I would qùite like to meet someone.

I'm a 57 year old female divorcee living in West Wales
    I have 2 adult children, both with children of their own
    I would not be an easy person to be with as I have been on my own for a while and am an introvert and I have depression
    I am theologically and politically liberal
    I am a vegetarian
    I read a lot
    I am not particularly attractive physically

Not really much of a catch
  • 47 year old inveterately single gay man. Intelligent, opinionated and incredibly messy. Tendency to anxiety and depression.

Living in the far east (of England) doesn't help the optimism in this respect.

Settled in single life? Kind of. Certainly not seeing where anything to disrupt my singleness would come from, given that I seem to be the among the younger people with my interests....

Sigh.
  • Gath fach wrote: »
    I would qùite like to meet someone.

I would not be an easy person to be with as I have been on my own for a while and am an introvert and I have depression
    I am a vegetarian
    I read a lot

Are you looking for male / female / gender irrelevant ?
  • Gath fach wrote: »
    I would qùite like to meet someone.

I am a vegetarian
    I read a lot

Are you looking for male / female / gender irrelevant ?

Sorry, should have said, looking for male
  • Does this mean all the singleton Shipmates are settled in single life? Not even a post to test the water and see if there is anything better out there?
    Some are born to be single, some achieve singleness, some have singleness thrust upon them...

At this point, I think I am in the last of these categories.

• Two days away from the dreaded VD - can we encourage anyone else to join in? (I'm prodding this as I know someone was asking on the Cool Britannia thread a few weeks ago)

I'm female,
    heterosexual,
    have been single for over 20 years
    one adult daughter for whom I'm currently caring, but if I can get out I would like to do things with others
    would prefer to be vegetarian but the caree is not impressed by that
    like walking, crafts, photography, theatre, art galleries, museums
    left-leaning politically
    fan of R4 comedy

:cry: #teamRossweisse

• OK, so we've so far got:
    • 3 females in their 50s looking (possibly, if the right one came along) for male partners;
    • 1 mid 40s man looking for a male partner;
    • 1 40s female looking for a female partner;
    • 1 30s male looking for a female partner.
    which doesn't suggest any possible matches - bumping this to see if there are any other interested people out there.

(I wonder slightly if we're reflecting the groups that find it difficult to meet others in society too)