You really cannot apologise, can you mr cheesy?

Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
This comes from The system is broken, the system needs to change thread, which has been derailed by a spat with @mr cheesy on insect studies, what he has read into other posters' comments and his accusations, starting on page 1 and running to page 3.

Starting from here @mr cheesy has continued to accuse a number of posters of saying things they did not say:
@quetzalcoatl asked for an apology here and got a non-apology a page later, in response to my post here @mr cheesy said:
The clue is that nobody repeated this experiment from 15 years ago.

You can keep doubling down or you can just accept that windscreen splatter observations are not taken seriously in the peer reviewed science.
I wasn't doubling down on this at all. I observed that the bug splatter experiment happened and it wasn't followed up. End of. And I'd like an apology too for your accusations. Brought here as I would prefer not to further derail that thread.

None of us has actually said that there is any research based on insect splatter. What we have said is that there was an attempt at researching bug splatter a few years ago, based on observations. And that it wasn't followed through. You would think from your reactions that we are promoting it, when none of us were more than stating that lower levels of bug splatter had been observed and that an attempt was made to quantify it.

I can think of several reasons why the study wasn't followed up, other than results not being good. I suspect the RSPB did not get good enough results to continue funding that idea. Things like the Big Bird Watch are producing results from the number of surveys over a number of years. That one doesn't require much in resources, and has been established for years. A bug splat needed resources - the splatometers to start with - and time to be established and it wasn't so obviously linked to the charitable aims of the RSPB.

The other thing is that your certainty is misplaced: for all the reasons given by @"NOprophet_NØprofit"; insect studies have not been carried out to know what is going on other than in a few localised situations. But butterfly studies (regularly done, citizen science through the Woodland Trust and Butterfly Conservation) are observing catastrophic falls in some species, as are bee studies.

Comments

• Forget it. His Chalfonts are playing up.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    There'll be a fair few clicks on Urban Dictionary to understand that one!
  • Galilit wrote: »

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have long thought that mr cheesy has suffered from some form of physical discomfort, and piles (haemorroids) would be a possibility.

Chalfont St Giles (a small town in Buckinghamshire) = Piles.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    As opposed to Chalfont St Peter. We don't talk about that one.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    But the reason is that he's such a frequent flier in Hell is that his manner of posting is so irascible. It's not so much what he's saying, but the way he's saying it, and that he won't let it go.
  • I gave up in the end. On that thread mr cheesy does seem extremely bad-tempered and obdurate. There doesn't seem much point in pursuing such arguments, if the other one exhibits such rock-hard armour, and life is too short. Chalfonts? I haven't heard that one.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »

Wife beater?
    Gas heater?
    Full litre?
    Good metre?

I'm out. I don't actually know how this works, tbh.

• Good for easing the constipation which lies at the root of the ailment....
  • A right pain in the Aris.
  • Martin54 wrote: »
    A right pain in the Aris.

Or as Polonius would say, a pain in the arras.

AFF
  • What's that rhyming slang for?!
  • Martin54 wrote: »
    What's that rhyming slang for?!

Just a little Hamlet humor. Very little Hamlet, and even less humor.

AFF
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Just a little Hamlet humor. Very little Hamlet, and even less humor. ...
    I thought it was funny.

• sionisais wrote: »
    Galilit wrote: »

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have long thought that mr cheesy has suffered from some form of physical discomfort, and piles (haemorroids) would be a possibility.

Chalfont St Giles (a small town in Buckinghamshire) = Piles.

Middle class equivalent of the 'Farmer Giles'? As in 'he had a touch of the Farmer's, which rather aptly made him a pain in the arse to everyone else around him'?
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    I checked with a Cockney who lives here and he said in his area (East London) they said "Farmers" as in Farmer Giles, but he knew Chalfonts as a word for it too

Wife beater?
    Gas heater?
    Full litre?
    Good metre?

FWIW: AIUI, Cockney rhyming slang is sort of a code:

stairs > apples and pears > pears

And then you say "pears" instead of "stairs".

YMMV, and apologies if I've gotten any of that wrong.
  • Nearly. You say ‘apples’, that way your meaning is concealed.

Thus, “I said to my china that my trouble had had me up and down the apples all day and now my plates were killing me”
    china plate = mate
    trouble and strife = wife
    apples and pears = stairs
    plates of meat = feet
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    This is turning into an episode of Minder.
    Keep yer mincers peeled for the Old Bill or 'e'll ave you bang to rights and off to the pokie smartish.

(Rough translation: Knock it off.)

DT
    HH
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    Doc Tor wrote: »

Wife beater?
    Gas heater?
    Full litre?
    Good metre?

FWIW: AIUI, Cockney rhyming slang is sort of a code:

stairs > apples and pears > pears

And then you say "pears" instead of "stairs".

YMMV, and apologies if I've gotten any of that wrong.

Yeah, I know. Hence my examples.
    Keep yer mincers peeled for the Old Bill or 'e'll ave you bang to rights and off to the pokie smartish.

(Rough translation: Knock it off.)

DT
    HH

Sorry, just saw this.
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    Dark Knight, you can now get a Bible in cockney rhyming slang if you are really enjoying it. It will keep you entertained in the pokie.
  • BroJames--
    BroJames wrote: »
    Nearly. You say ‘apples’, that way your meaning is concealed.

Thus, “I said to my china that my trouble had had me up and down the apples all day and now my plates were killing me”
    china plate = mate
    trouble and strife = wife
    apples and pears = stairs
    plates of meat = feet

Gaaaa! Thanks for the correction. I do know that, but I put the wrong thing.
    :(

Thanks for the list in the spoiler box. I think I've heard of all but the last one.
  • Sorry. Just now saw the "knock it off" admonition.
    I am currently in my cups after a post-convention session in the bar.

Part of me is "party on, dudes!" and the more sober, hostly part of me is "don't make me come down here again"

So probably that...
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    Maybe there should be a new thread started which only uses cockney rhyming slang.
    Sounds like a Heavenly thread to me.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    For non-standard values of "Heavenly".
    As long as it's not here, I don't give a damn where it goes...
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    "Damned" is Host code for "Circus".
  • {Quietly starts Ship's H/A Rosetta Stone, adding in notes found on scraps of bytes in previous years.}
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Rublev wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a new thread started which only uses cockney rhyming slang.
    Oh, please, no!