Racist slurs

Is this really appropriate for Purgatory - or in fact anywhere on this website?

The shipmate, apparently seriously, is comparing a) a minority religious group and b) a whole nation of people with c) dogs.

Which I don't think anyone has ever had the gall to do in all the years I've been on this website.

I've stated my personal opinion that this offends the normal sense of civil communication - and yet yon shipmate offers as evidence (a) the Nuremberg trials (b) a comic novel from more than 100 years ago and (c) an interpretation of the beliefs of the religious group.

It seems to me that this is a breach of human decency, but surely it is also a breach of Commandments of this forum too?

Comments

• ISWYM. It will be interesting to see how Admins/Hosts respond.
  • mr cheesy wrote: »
    Is this really appropriate for Purgatory - or in fact anywhere on this website?

The shipmate, apparently seriously, is comparing a) a minority religious group and b) a whole nation of people with c) dogs.

Which I don't think anyone has ever had the gall to do in all the years I've been on this website.

I've stated my personal opinion that this offends the normal sense of civil communication - and yet yon shipmate offers as evidence (a) the Nuremberg trials (b) a comic novel from more than 100 years ago and (c) an interpretation of the beliefs of the religious group.

It seems to me that this is a breach of human decency, but surely it is also a breach of Commandments of this forum too?

Hmmm. I told you I was prepared to retract about the dogs.

Best wishes, 2RM.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    edited February 27
    Took me a minute to find it, but do you mean this specific comment?
    But really only dogs, Germans and Jehovah's Witnesses follow the rules for the sake of following the rules.

[Edited for clarity - I hope.]
  • Correct.
  • Ruth, if this is your project, then I apologise for any inconvenience. But, should you choose to read the thread through, you will find my position is not mere prejudice, but justified by evidence and rational argument. Which is more than I can say for Mr Cheesy. Nevertheless, if you consign me to oblivion or hell, I will happily accept your decision, and try to be more circumspect in future.

Best wishes, 2RM
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    edited February 27
    The Purgatory hosts and/or the admins will weigh in. I was just trying to find my way through the thread and posted the link to the original comment because I thought it would be helpful.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited February 27
    Even with the possible retraction of the reference to dogs (sagacious animals that they be), the remark is still offensive.

IMHO, FWIW.
  • Indeed. I have come to realise that dogs might obey the rules not just because they are rules and they are trained that way, but because they love their owners. Whether Germans and JW's can cite the same justification is, as yet, unproven.

Best wishes, 2RM.
  • 2ndRateMind2ndRateMind Shipmate
    edited February 27
    mr cheesy wrote: »

Can't help wondering whether if we all had 'the gall' to say what we thought, instead of what society thinks we ought to think, the world might be a better place. We would hash out these arguments transparently, in public, free of self-censorship, and the 'free-market of ideas' aka 'the great debate', would select out the best of them for further competition as further ideas develop.

But hey; that would be a democratic solution, which not all those in power might like.

Best wishes, 2RM.

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    That sounds like a recipe for creating Troll Heaven.
  • Hey if you're white, majority rule about racism looks really good. I mean if you're white and a racist asshole, sorry.
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Let's leave the mudslinging for Hell, shall we?

And, while we're at it, let's also forego the racist bullshittery for the appropriate discussion boards - Purgatory and/or Hell. This space is not meant to be a continued proxy war.

The only issue we care to deal with on this thread is the possible Hostly moderation of the relevant Purg thread.

Until the Purg Hosts or Admins weigh in on that, I suggest everybody else take a breath and stand by.

-RooK
    Styx Host
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    edited February 28
    @mr cheesy - thanks for drawing it to our attention. Apologies for not being on top of things and seeing and hosting sooner. You are of course right it is completely inappropriate.

fineline - Purgatory host
  • fineline wrote: »
    @mr cheesy - thanks for drawing it to our attention. Apologies for not being on top of things and seeing and hosting sooner. You are of course right it is completely inappropriate.

fineline - Purgatory host

There's nothing to apologise for. As the Ship is run by volunteers in multiple time-zones, a 24 to 36 hour wait for a Hosting call or response to a PM etc is perfectly reasonable.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    This is how the world should be run.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    But, should you choose to read the thread through, you will find my position is not mere prejudice, but justified by evidence and rational argument.

Best wishes, 2RM

LOL. This game can be played with any prejudice against any group. Are you not familiar with the concepts of cherry-picking and confirmation bias?

Back in grammar school, where I sat in overcrowded public classrooms with other little kids of various skin shades, religious persuasions, and economic strata, we all dutifully learned that "pre-judice" springs from Latinate roots meaning "to judge prematurely," or before having evidence. Sadly, most of us then went right ahead telling each other what our parents told us -- that Those (Not Us) People were lazy (brown kids), or slow-witted (blonde Scandinavian or Polish kids), or sneaky or criminal (Asian or Italian kids), etc. etc.

Amazingly enough, we too could justify our claims with evidence and rational arguments. All we had to do was wait for some classmate to commit the right kind of offense (while also conveniently ignoring the fact that everybody else did this too), and Hey Presto! Proof Positive!

Thing is, o-thou-bent-upon-proving-the-aptness-of-thy-screen-name, character defects are spread pretty evenly among human groups. My (overly-generous-with-his-money) Scots grandad knew this, to his sorrow.

• RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I'm considering closing this thread, as the nominal purpose has been served, in order to remove the temptation of some people to try to wage non-Styx arguments here.