March Book Club: The Map of Salt and Stars

TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
Hi all: the book for March is The Map of Salt and Stars by Zeyn Joukhadar*. It tells two parallel stories: that of 12-year-old Nour, whose family returns from the US to their Syrian home after her father's death just in time to be caught up in the Syrian civil war, and the story of the (fictional) teenager Raiwa who disguises herself as a boy to become apprentice to the (real) medieval map-maker al-Idrisi.

I hope everyone who wants to read the book is able to get hold of a copy and can jump in to participate! I'll post discussion questions around March 20.

(*Note: This book is published under the author name Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar. Since its publication, Joukhadar has come out as a trans man, uses the name Zeyn Joukhadar, and prefers male pronouns. None of this has anything to do with the book; I just mention it to explain why I'll be referring to the author as "Zeyn Joukhadar" and "he" in discussion, in case anyone's confused).

Comments

• SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I've just downloaded this so I'm in.
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    I've also downloaded it, so count me in too.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I've asked the city branch of the library to get a copy transferred from another branch. Sounds like an intriguing book!

Thanks for the plot and author background too, Trudy.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Well I've just started reading it. I am enjoying the structure of the prose and the imagery the words conjure in my mind. Looking forward to digging in deeper now the weekend is here...
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Glad to hear it! Anyone else reading it? I will need to a do a bit of a review before starting discussion next week, since I read it last year.
  • AndrasAndras Shipmate
    I’ve almost finished it; a very enjoyable read and I think a very good book - and that’s not always quite the same thing.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I'm a about half way through so need to get a shift on.