The desert shall rejoice and blossom;
Like the crocus it shall blossom abundantly,
And rejoice with joy and singing.
The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it,
The majesty of Carmen and Sharon.
They shall see the glory of the Lord,
The majesty of our God'
(Isaiah 35: 1-2).

In the prophecy of Isaiah the desert is the place where God promises to begin His renewal.

And reading through the Bible we can see that a lot of important things happen in the desert - including the wanderings of the Israelites and the Temptations of Jesus.

So what is the significance of the desert place in the Bible?

And why is the wilderness so important spiritually?

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Have you ever been in one, stood there in the emptiness on your own with at most just a few others?
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Yep. Just me. Wonderful.
  • For how long, though?
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    There are over a hundredreferences to the desert in the Bible, and hundreds more to the wilderness. A simple answer could be "because that's where the events happened" (there's a whole lot of empty in Israel/Palestine), but a closer look at what happened there could be interesting.

The first thing that occurs to me is that it is a place of extreme vulnerability, where the people involved were totally dependent on God's mercy. (Think of Hagar being cast out into the desert and saved by an angel.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Tangent: You've really missed something if you haven't seen a desert in bloom after a good rainy season. I'm mourning the fact that I can't drive out now to see the Mojave doing its thing. Woe is me!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Yes, you're right about that. Once a decade in many places here.
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    For how long, though?

Not long enough. As I'm sure many here would agree... I shall relate my favourite desert story from a Desert Rat later.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    This thread is about how the desert/wilderness as a location or image is used in the Bible. Does anyone have anything to say about that?

Mamacita, Keryg Host
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    A few years ago, Death Valley in California suddenly bloomed because of the rain it had. Seeds that had been dormant for over 100 years germinated and suddenly the valley floor was alive with color. It only lasted for a few days, though.

I think Isaiah is using the image to show how after years of captivity when the people felt dried up, that the coming of the Lord would be sudden and tremendous.

Desert people would catch on to the image very quickly.

BTW I grew up in the desert.