Do you vacuum naked?

ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
edited March 12 in Heaven
If so, you have a few comrades...
4% of people globally wear underwear only when vacuuming and 2% claim they
vacuum naked.
3.7% of Norwegians, 3% of Swedes and US respondents say they wear no clothes when vacuuming followed by
Canadians (2.6%) and Finns (2.5%).

Electrolux Global Vacuuming Survey 2013 – short facts
I tend to do it in whatever clothes I am in when I decide it's vacuum time. I do not have a preference.

I also am rather slovenly compared to the average Korean:
11% of Koreans vacuum several times per day (global average 3%) and another 29% vacuum once a day (global average 13%)

edit: sorry about the strange line breaks; I'm on my phone and can't see them when editing. I tried deleting spaces after previewing, but it didn't work.
Tagged:

Comments

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    No!

But I do vacuum twice a day and the vac is full each time (moulting dogs!)

:)
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Why would one strip off to vacuum? Trying to stop the mind boggling!!
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited March 12
    You mean most people don’t wait until the carpet starts to crunch?

I’ve always found this idea of doing housework naked very odd. I mean you get up, wash, dress, take your pills etc and then the primordial urge to tidy the place up a bit overtakes you and you undress? What did you start the day wearing? Starched linen? A ballgown? Why not old clothes (or, as I think of them, clothes)?

Is there some sensual dimension to lugging the Dyson about that I’m missing here?
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    And there was me thinking it was just an explanation given to A&E triage nurses when having to go to have parts of the device removed from various orifices.
  • DonLogan2DonLogan2 Shipmate
    Took me half a day to do under the bed, mainly because of the amount of books under there...nothing to do with the amount of dust. yes I was clothed
  • Well, if it's 30°C plus, the fewer clothes the better, but normal UK conditions, clothes are necessary - for support if nothing else.

Also, my vacuum cleaner died and when debating the need for a new one I worked out I only had one big rug that I couldn't pick up and shake, so no vacuum cleaner, dustpan and brush or damp cloth. Most of the vacuum cleaners on the market aren't great for hard floors, and my asthmatic lungs appreciate the lack of carpets.
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    Even on a hot day it’s too cold for this. Mind you, I have a neighbour who I’ve learned to phone before calling in on.
  • kingsfoldkingsfold Shipmate
    Firenze wrote: »
    You mean most people don’t wait until the carpet starts to crunch?

Or the hard floor - generally crunches sooner than the carpet...
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    edited March 12
    The initial statement in the OP
    "4% of people globally wear underwear only when vacuuming"
    is ambiguous. And, being sad, I've checked. The quote is correct. It's the original that is ambiguous.

Does it mean the 4% vacuum wearing just their underwear, or that the 4% don't wear underwear the rest of the time, but put it on just when vacuuming?

There's another weird thing in the statistics.
    "Did you know that...dust pickup is the single most important factor (30%) globally when buying a vacuum cleaner."
    What do the other 70% buy their vacuum cleaner to do?

Or should I ask why do the other 68% get one who don't buy it so as to have an excuse to wander round the house in the nip.
  • What do the other 70% buy their vacuum cleaner to do?

We have a Roomba robot hoover (Bob2). The single most important thing for me was lack of effort on my part. If I could improve dust pick up by pushing the hoover round myself, I wouldn't do it.

We have a cockateil which spits seed husks out of its cage, so have to hoover the living room daily.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Enoch wrote: »
    "Did you know that...dust pickup is the single most important factor (30%) globally when buying a vacuum cleaner."

That's pretty obvious, I think. They buy it for their cat(s) to ride around on. They do double duty as pirate ships for said cats. *waving at Captain Jack, my nephew kitty*

Ever since I was little, I heard tales of people doing housework in the buff. My opinion is the same now as it was then...what is wrong with those people?
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate

Or should I ask why do the other 68% get one who don't buy it so as to have an excuse to wander round the house in the nip.

They ticked price, quality, value, brand or colour as reasons. The question is interpreted as why did you buy this vacuum cleaner and not a different one.

• balaambalaam Shipmate
    Do I vacuum naked? No. Not in the British climate.

But cleaning a bath or shower, where your clothing could get wet? I am not saying.
  • My cleaning lady vacuums but she is fully dressed. Long ago I would vacuum with my hair in curlers does that count, because if someone came to the door I would have felt just as exposed as if nude?
    balaam wrote: »

But cleaning a bath or shower, where your clothing could get wet? I am not saying.

The secret is to turn the water off first.
  • jedijudy wrote: »

That's pretty obvious, I think. They buy it for their cat(s) to ride around on. They do double duty as pirate ships for said cats. *waving at Captain Jack, my nephew kitty*

Ever since I was little, I heard tales of people doing housework in the buff. My opinion is the same now as it was then...what is wrong with those people?

All the cats I've known have hated vacuum cleaners with a passion.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I’ve always found this idea of doing housework naked very odd. I mean you get up, wash, dress, take your pills etc and then the primordial urge to tidy the place up a bit overtakes you and you undress? What did you start the day wearing?

No, that's not the way you do it at all.

You get up, take your pills, have breakfast, do the dishes, and then do housework. When housework is done you shower and dress for the day.

I sleep with jammies on. So it's get up, take my pills, have breakfast, do the dishes. Then off come the jammies, and I do housework (including vacuuming) in my birthday suit with the blinds closed. Then it's shower and dress for the day.

That way I'm not dirtying up my jammies (or housecleaning clothes -- what our Jewish friends call schmattas) -- with sweat or dust or anything else. The only downside is that I'm using the shower right after I've scrubbed it.
  • Firenze wrote: »

The secret is to turn the water off first.

For me, cleaning the walls or floor of the shower with some cream cleanser can be done naked, but washing it all off is an opportunity to combine cleaning and showering.

It gets so hot here (35C yesterday and high humidity) that vacuuming naked is an idea, but then it is too hot to vacuum at all, so it stays just an idea. And our front door is a glass multifold so there is too much risk of exposure.
  • Well, if it's 30°C plus, the fewer clothes the better, but normal UK conditions, clothes are necessary - for support if nothing else.

Also, my vacuum cleaner died and when debating the need for a new one I worked out I only had one big rug that I couldn't pick up and shake, so no vacuum cleaner, dustpan and brush or damp cloth. Most of the vacuum cleaners on the market aren't great for hard floors, and my asthmatic lungs appreciate the lack of carpets.

Maybe you could just get a carpet sweeper/eubank. I have one and until I lived with a cat and allergic flatmate it was preferable to the noise of the vacuum.

I also tend to wear trackies when hoovering but will clean bathroom naked or in vest and knicks.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    ...But cleaning a bath or shower, where your clothing could get wet? I am not saying.
    I have a shower every morning, and most days I wipe down the walls and floor of the cubicle before I get out, so yes, that is done without the benefit of clothes. It also means that it doesn't need much in the way of any other cleaning, except the odd squirt of Scrubbing Bubbles (or whatever it's called) to let it know I care.
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited March 12
    Climacus wrote: »
    4% of people globally wear underwear only when vacuuming
    Personally, I wear underwear when I'm not vacuuming as well, but each to his own.

As it happens, I have vacuumed whilst naked, but only because I was naked when the need to vacuum arose. Like you, I don't feel the need to dress (or undress) specially for the vacuum.
  • MarthaMartha Shipmate
    Reminds me of a conversation I had with my housemates about people cleaning the bathroom in the nude. A short pause happened, then, entirely without thinking about the logical consequences, I announced, "That reminds me, I need to clean the oven."

No, I did not strip off!
  • In the summer I've been known to work at the computer without benefit of clothing, but vacuuming? No - I have too much imagination where accidents are concerned. Plus, we have Newfie friends who don't understand the function of a doorbell.
    How's about the function of a lock?
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    For quite a few years now there has been no vacuuming for me - it is done by my cleaner who comes once every two weeks. But no, I never did it unclothed!

You get up, take your pills, have breakfast, do the dishes, and then do housework. When housework is done you shower and dress for the day.

I sleep with jammies on. So it's get up, take my pills, have breakfast, do the dishes. Then off come the jammies, and I do housework (including vacuuming) in my birthday suit with the blinds closed. Then it's shower and dress for the day.

Up to a point. Get up, put on slippers and dressing gown, potter on iPad, after a while investigate the kitchen, unload/load dishwasher, move back to bedroom and root out clothes for the day. If laundry baskets full, take armful to washing machine. Then wash, dress, pills and breakfast.

Never do anything wet, or requiring equipment before dressing and never eat in nightclothes.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    I never hoover naked. I never hoover. And I never wander around downstairs naked.

I do, on occasions, wander aruond upstairs with nothing on - as I sleep naked. And I have no problems with that. I do find it odd going up or down stairs naked - is that weird? (We have 3 floors, just in case you are wondering).

In the UK, most houses are close to others and the street. I think that, and the weather, mean that we tend not to wander around naked (or even in underwear) downstairs as much as may be the case in other countries.

I do however cut my own hair. I do this downstairs and in my underwear. This is very specifically to avoid getting hair in any other clothes.
    edited March 13
    Never . . . eat in nightclothes.
    Why not? I've never understood people who shower and dress before breakfast. Surely not necessary unless they're breakfasting in a restaurant or otherwise out in public. And I certainly don't understand why people brush their teeth before breakfast. Surely even if eating out, one can carry toothbrush and toothpaste in one's clutch (or in one's back pocket if one is a man) and duck into the restroom afterwards.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I have too much imagination where accidents are concerned.
    Ouch!
    But..but..breakfast means crumbs! (I realise there are other things you can eat for breakfast besides toast, but I have no interest in them).

I think for me there is a deep-seated association between eating in bedwear and being ill or in hospital. Mr F, otoh, has sometimes to be cajoled into being dressed for lunch.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Why would he need to do that?
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    What is this vacuum of which you speak?

I do wipe down the shower every day after using it (a clue there about how much or little I'm wearing at the time), taking a tip from @Boogie and keeping a basket of clean cloths in the bathroom to use for the purpose. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have those cloths to hand. I go on to wipe mirrors and surfaces in said bathroom. The floor may or may not be involved, depending on the time available. I can't do it all in three minutes like Boogie does. She is Superwoman.
  • How's about the function of a lock?

They consider it to be bad manners to lock your door when you are home.
    Worse manners than to barge in on someone uninvited?
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    How would anyone know you locked your door when you're home alone unless they have the audacity to try to come in without invitation?
  • It's a cultural thing. They are very friendly people out there.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    I am always washed and dressed before breakfast. It means the day has started and is also perhaps a reaction against some I know who flutter around in nightclothes till late in the day.

I do like the idea of starting the day well and to me that means being dressed. Just my thoughts for myself.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    It's a cultural thing. They are very friendly people out there.

Then I'm glad I don't live in that culture.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I don't know where Stercus Tauri lives, but what he describes seems like basic rural interaction modes to me.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    If you do not wish to vacuum naked, others may do it for you. NSFW link.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I have perpetual puppies so, depending on their age, I get up pretty early.

I come down in jammies and dressing gown (unless the pup is tiny when flappy dressing gowns are too tempting for them to hang off! - then it’s jammies and jumper).

Then, once the pup has eaten, played and toileted I get my own breakfast, then pop upstairs for a shower and to get dressed. Teeth are cleaned post breakfast.

• balaam wrote: »

One of my neighbours had engaged a cleaner, a moderately well-known poet (verse doesn't really pay that well) whose cleaning was entirely satisfactory. However, coming home early one day when feeling unwell, she discovered her cleaner in the buff, buffing away at the silverware (an inheritance, about which there is an interesting story, but another time). Being a clergyman's daughter, she just greeted her cleaning poet with no fuss and went upstairs to be ill.

Later the cleaner apologized and offered to find a replacement. My neighbour declined as the standard of her work was high and the pay reasonable. However later that year, the poet found a gig at the local equivalent of nakedcleaners (run by a feminist cultural workers cooperative!) where the pay was better and there was a pension plan. As my neighbour noted, there is nothing new under the sun when your father is an archdeacon.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Did anyone else who followed that curious link notice that they list themselves as members of Equity!

I'd have expected GMB or Unite for the cleaning sector.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Did anyone else who followed that curious link notice that they list themselves as members of Equity!

I'd have expected GMB or Unite for the cleaning sector.

I suspect their performance skills exceed their cleaning skills
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    I don't know where Stercus Tauri lives, but what he describes seems like basic rural interaction modes to me.

And not impractical, either. Suppose you want to pop round to borrow my X, invite me to lunch, or whatever else. If you ring my doorbell, I have to stop what I'm doing, get up, go to the door, and let you in. If you just pop your head round my kitchen door, you don't need to interrupt whatever I'm up to my elbows in.

You just have to hope it's not another person.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    [quote="Amanda B Reckondwyth;c-123002

[/quote]

My routine is almost like Amanda's with slight variations. I get up and keep my jammies on until I've fed the animals, had coffee, made the beds, dusted, vacuumed (every day because the little dog and I both shed pretty badly and the long blonde hairs turn into large fabulous dust bunnies very easily.) Then I do whatever weekly chore like mopping the kitchen is due. I even do some outside chores like sweeping the porches in my jammies because, one, I don't really care and, two, I pretend the neighbors will think I'm wearing regular clothes as seen from a distance.

Finally, housework done, I strip off my jammies and add them to the first laundry load of the day and dash naked the three feet from laundry room, to bedroom and into the shower.

Once in a great while, after adding jammies to laundry, I remember some little thing I forgot to do. Yesterday it was swiffering the kitchen, so I did that in the nude and yes, the husband picked that moment to leave the computer and catch me.

The only neighbor whose window faces ours is 94 years old and I figure if he catches any of this and enjoys it, more power to him.

• CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    "Swiffering"? unknown to me.....
  • We don't get swiffers over here regularly, but they are a flat panel covered with a soft cloth that you sweep over hard floors. Much better at sweeping up than brushes on lino, does a good job of keeping it clean between washing the floor. The soft cloths are sold as disposable, but you can make your own reusable cloths from old t-shirts.

(I had one and loved it, gave it to my daughter at uni, and haven't seen it since. We can't get the soft cloths here easily.)
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Swiffer
    Yes, they've sort of replaced the dust mop. Much better because you don't have to go out on the porch in jammies (or the altogether) to shake it. Like CK I cut up old t-shirts to use as cloths and old socks are great. With old black socks you can see all the hair you've picked up. Very satisfying.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited March 30
    I’ve used one like this for a long time. It’s great for sweeping dog hairs off our wooden floors. I sweep around then vacuum the mop. But I’ve never heard the word ‘swiffer’ until reading this today.

My spell check doesn’t recognise it either and keep wanting to change it to swifter.