Fleabag Priest

ChoristerChorister Shipmate
I confess that Fleabag (Series 2) has me hooked, despite almost turning off the TV half way through the first episode. Thus nearly missing a very unexpected twist. I can't believe the 'falling in love with a priest' situation is going to be that straightforward either. Cue doves and John Rutter emanating from the heavens, mixed with a rather too healthy dose of realism. And Olivia Colman, obviously.

Comments

• SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Just watched the second episode too. I didn't watch the first series, but it is on iplayer so I might try and catch up. Yes I don't think the falling in love with a priest is going to go well, but I do hope it doesn't turn into another 'priest loses his faith' story. Trouble is with Andrew Scott, that played Morriaty in Sherlock in the role, I assume he's going to do something very sinister by the end of the series.
  • LolaLola Shipmate
    Fleabag first series was dark and v v funny, both sharp and tender and often surprising so my guess is this is unlikely to be just another version of anything! I do recommend the catch up if you can manage it.
  • I love Fleabag. The first series was a reminder of the gift of forgiveness when I was in a mindset that really needed it.
    It’s so funny too.
    Someone is bound to end up sleeping with the priest.
  • Am I the only one still watching?
    Maybe I was wrong about someone sleeping with the priest!
  • No, I'm still watching but I never watch it live so I have to avoid the thread until I've watched the particular episode. I haven't seen the third one yet. But so far I am liking this second series and the portrayal of the priest has seemed good so far (with Sean Bean's priest the best one of recent years).
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    I have watched s1 on catch-up and loved it. Just starting s2. Moriarty as priest is interesting and disturbing.
  • I watched Ep 3 last night and thought it was superb from start to finish. Well written with a stellar cast.

And, so far, touch wood (of the cross), the priest is to me utterly believable without TV cringiness. Please may it continue.

And the priest noticed her asides to the camera! What does it mean?
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    As the asides are her thoughts, he knows what she's thinking.

That's my take; it's usually wrong.

One of the most endearing parts of the show is how Fleabag doesn't so much break the fourth wall as totally ignore it.
    I noticed that he spotted her asides - and that is really interesting. It might be a realy interesting insight into the Aside idea (used in fleabag and Miranda and others). Might be really clever.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Yes I was encouraged by the way the priest seemed totally comfortable in his faith and as @Mr Clingford said no TV cringiness.
  • Well, I've watched the 4th one now. Where will the plot go?

I won't say any more yet about events.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I like the way God makes his presence felt by dropping pictures.
  • LolaLola Shipmate
    edited March 26
    I’ve just watched some of this episode again on iPlayer. When the priest was trying to recover the whiskey he’d hidden on the top shelf he said Oh God help me just before the bottle dropped down too! It was very cleverly done throwaway line which is only noticeable once you’ve watched the very end.
  • Sarasa wrote: »
    I like the way God makes his presence felt by dropping pictures.
    And the priest's response, something like, "I love it when he does that".

Because of the picture drops and his awareness of her asides, it makes me wonder if we are not viewing reality but something inside her shattered mind. Sometimes when Fleabag is thinking about Boo, the viewer also sees Boo.

Or not.

I liked it in the final Rev, I think it was, when Liam Neeson plays a character who might be God or not - we see things through the Rev's eyes and he had suffered a blow to the head at the beginning of that episode so we don't know.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    As someone who was a Quaker before they became a Catholic getting a scene in a Quaker Meeting House (with good succinct summary of what Quaker ministry is) and a scene in a confessional in the same episode of a series was slightly mindboggling.
  • Wow, Scott is a terrific actor, and the scenes with the two of them are very good, relaxed, yet riding a razor blade of eroticism, fear, and farce. He is also v. hot.
    Sarasa wrote: »
    As someone who was a Quaker before they became a Catholic getting a scene in a Quaker Meeting House (with good succinct summary of what Quaker ministry is) and a scene in a confessional in the same episode of a series was slightly mindboggling.

It was - it just doesn't reflect the Quaker meetings I go to.

There again, I hope it doesn't reflect confession that most people go to either.
  • Wow, Scott is a terrific actor, and the scenes with the two of them are very good, relaxed, yet riding a razor blade of eroticism, fear, and farce. He is also v. hot.

This sums it up for me. I do like how it doesn’t mock or dismiss his faith.
  • LolaLola Shipmate
    Trying not to spoiler for anyone who is waiting for the tv broadcast later (I can’t stay awake that late and have already watched episode five on iplayer) - my predictions for the finale are

- a glorious showdown with Godmother at the worlds most awkward wedding during which, at some point, the priest sets fire to his vestments
    - “This is a love story” from the introduction revealed to be about Clare with Fleabag sacrificing herself for her sister again in some way (is Fleabag basically Frozen with much, much more sex and profanity????) - book ending what happened in episode one - and hopefully an escape to Finland
    - We find out what Hugh Dennis’s new job is in an unexpected way???
    - Something happens to Hilary
    - I’m still pondering what I think will happen next for both Fleabag and the Priest
  • Not Hilary! Unless its babies.

I think you might be onto something with the wedding showdown.
  • LolaLola Shipmate
    Yes - two references to bursting into flames last night. The Priest has been trying to tell her something for a while and keeps getting interrupted. I assume we’ll find out more.

Hilary represents Boo and I think it’s time to let go (also Guinea Pigs don’t live that long!)

Plus a reveal of Godmother’s painting of Claire and Fleabag.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    I wasn't entirely sure it was the priest in the most recent episode, you only saw the back of his head. I was waiting for another picture to fall, but it didn't! I really do NOT like her sister's husband, shiver shiver.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I was waiting for the picture to fall too. Priest climbing into bed with her seems the sort of cliché that has been avoided so far, so I hope you're right @Chorister .
    Claire's husband is wonderfully awful and genuinely scary at the same time.
  • I think its all a load of old toot. But that's probably just me. Give me Derry Girls over this any day.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    I enjoy both.
  • I think its all a load of old toot. But that's probably just me. Give me Derry Girls over this any day.
    But you're still watching, though.

And if you're not, how can you comment on what you haven't seen?
  • And some very interesting comments about Ep 5 and thoughts on Ep 6. Wedding shenanigans and bursting into flames are intriguing, as well as Chorister's pondering on backs of heads.

I must have a quick look at the end of 5 again.

It was also nice to see Hugh Dennis again.
  • I've just gone and looked at the end of the episode again; even though you can only see the back of the head, you can see the right hand and I think it looks like Andrew Scott's right hand.

But Fleabag pulling the camera down could be interesting as I don't recall her doing so before - what might it mean? (Especially as the priest noticed her asides again earlier in the episode).
  • I have noticed that some of his mannerisms when he’s awkward are a it Father Dougal! I’m rewatching the latest episode.

• LolaLola Shipmate
    edited April 5
    At the very least I am v keen to see what sort of outfit Godmother would choose to get married in!
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Lola wrote: »
    At the very least I am v keen to see what sort of outfit Godmother would choose to get married in!

Something tasteful? I doubt it.
    News report today says that there will be no further series after 2. I know that has been said before, but it will be really interesting to see the final episode when we get there. Sure to be defining.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Last episode?
    It should be the wedding. The BBC are trailing with the choosing of vestments scene, whatever the priest is in, will it be as kitch as the one shown? I hope not.

The only sure thing is the FUN in dysFUNctional family.
  • It’s arrived on iplayer!!!
  • It’s arrived on iplayer!!!

Can I wait? I should do some work first!
  • I've watched it and am now at peace.

There was a lot of good stuff but I won't say anything else to avoid spoilers.
  • LolaLola Shipmate
    Yes - bittersweet and beautiful.
  • Well put.

I want to know what happens to Claire’s “creepy” stepson.
  • I found it mind-boggling. That speech on love, oh. My wife compares her to Shakespeare, in her blending of different themes and humours, we shall see. Scott full of charm, charisma, quirky, ravishing.
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    Oh wow, that was one of the best things I've seen in an age. The Telegraph compares the ending to The End of the Affair or Brideshead Reivisited. I like both those books, but neither Bendrix or Ryder are the hot priest.
    Found myself thinking 'Why the heck couldn't he just become a CofE priest!' But then that wouldn't have made good television....
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    ....and would lose the forbidden love aspect.
  • If it went on longer, between the Priest who was pretty messed up, a functioning alcoholic and Fleabag, whose defining characteristic is being flaky, it wouldn't have ended well. Stopping at this point leaves it bitter-sweet and open-ended. Perfect timing, exit pursued by a fox.

The Evening Standard has a review by a priest.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Mended the link:
    The Evening Standard has a review by a priest.

• Thanks, BroJames.