romanlion

Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
May I ask in what way he actually reached the end of his rope? How he was trolling? Or engaging in hate speech?

Comments

• In my view the overwhelming majority of his posts were to annoy, upset, and inflame.

The post about NZ was designed to be nasty, not to make a serious point, as evidenced by his instant switch to a different objection when challenged .

All the above more than qualifies as jerkish behaviour.

Wishing a distinct religious group dead counts as hate speech in my book, even if it was in an attempt to make some sort of point.

We take freedom of speech seriously here, but we also take systematic abuses of posting privileges seriously. Romanlion did plenty of that.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited March 16
    I don't think I've ever seen him post anything that couldn't be construed as trolling. He gave no indication whatever of wanting to discuss, learn, or even teach. Only to tear down. Or to score cheap political points in a snide tone.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Thank you, Eutychus et al. Those posts were particularly egregious, even for that troll.

• Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    edited March 16
    Agreed all. But how did he actually transgress the rules of Hell?
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    He transgressed no rules of Hell, but still managed to rack up a sufficient transgression of Commandment 1. It took skill and dedication, but he finally managed it.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Dead Horses Host
    Martin54 wrote: »
    Agreed all. But how did he actually transgress the rules of Hell?

"Don't be a jerk" applies everywhere and IME the final decision is very often made after official warnings and periods of suspension. We are reluctant to ban people.

Think of it like accumulating penalty points for traffic offences. In UK legal terms, romanlion's cumulative behaviour crossed the equivalent of 12 point threshold and his licence to post was revoked.

From the "Fucking Guns" thread in Hell, and the recent sequence of posts relating to the dreadful NZ shootings, here is the Admin post for those who haven't seen it,
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Admin mode
    romanlion wrote: »
    Sounds like Brazil and NZ need to tighten up their gun laws, shame they didn't do that already.

As @RooK has correctly observed, this is one hundred percent trolling.
    romanlion wrote: »
    I just wish the victims had been Christians in Nigeria, or Egypt, or Chechnya.

And this amounts to hate speech.

You've been given more than enough leeway - and warnings - to mend your ways and be a constructive contributor here, whatever your views.

Our patience has now come to an end.

I wish I could say it gives me great pleasure to do my first ever banning, but it doesn't even do that. Bye-bye.

/admin mode

That these posts were jerkish behaviour is unarguable; that they finally crossed the Admin threshold is hardly surprising.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Hell has very low standards, as you would expect for the infernal realms. But the mistake that many people make is to assume the 10Cs do not apply there. They do, except where explicitly stated that they are in abeyance.
  • I think a permenant ban was the right decision, but as H&As know - I think SoF should have done that a considerable time ago.
  • In response to @mousethief's post above, there was a time on the Trump thread where, after a hostly warning as I recall, romanlion went through a brief phase of actually interacting and doing so without being a jerk.

This probably helped stave off the decision to ban him, although I think it probably made the final decision more straightforward, since he once again wilfully refused to behave - having shown himself capable of doing so.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 17
    Well, the Ship's bilges will now certainly smell the sweeter, but, as a matter of interest, does a Ban here affect the Ban-ee's rating on other Internet discussion boards?

Or, IOW, is there a sort of 'blacklist' (and I use the term in a NON-racist way!!) to help prevent the spreading of Noxious Posts elsewhere?

I have a feeling that the answer is probably No........
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    I can't see that GDPR would ever permit such sharing.
  • Even without GDPR there would a) be a massive logistical difficulty with sharing information about someone banned on one board with other boards (starting off, how do you confirm that the person on your list awaiting approval is the same person banned elsewhere?), and b) why should being banned on one board automatically lead to a ban elsewhere? We've got many members in good standing here who have been banned elsewhere, the bases for banning vary between boards.
  • Thank you, Alan. I thought that was probably the case.

As always, caveat emptor....
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Besides, since we are so careful to avoid libel in normal posts, I'd hardly think the Admins would try to blacklist someone from joining other forums.
  • To borrow a line from Nancy Pelosi, he's "just not worth it".
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    The admins have spoken. Thank you. I appreciate the holistic approach.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Eutychus wrote: »
    To borrow a line from Nancy Pelosi, he's "just not worth it".

:not worthy:
    :smile:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Had others noticed a change in him (that's an assumption, isn't it) over the years? When I joined, posts were always from a conservative position but were reasonably tolerant of the position of others on and off the Ship - something that could never be said about some at the other end. But in the last few years, the opinions have been much briefer, more strident and offensive. Did that coincide with the Trump's election, or was something else happening?
  • Lyda wrote: »
    Besides, since we are so careful to avoid libel in normal posts, I'd hardly think the Admins would try to blacklist someone from joining other forums.

Quite so - I should have thought of that!

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    I believe I saw the kind of change you mention, Gee D, though the reasons underlying said change I can't speculate about. And frankly, I wouldn't label his more recent posts "opinions;" they were always, IMO, attack-jabs.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    He was always difficult, and, so far as I could see, varied between being indifferent to giving offense and giving it deliberately. May he find a happier hunting ground somewhere else.

• RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    edited 4:10AM
    Some official throat clearing...

Folks, he's gone, so please give a thought to whether it is seemly to continue to discuss him when he's not here. Posts related to policy are of course welcome; posts devoted solely to the content and quality of romanlion's contributions, not so much.

Ruth, Styx host