College Admissions: US scandal 2019, affordability, rights, socio-economics, crime, common sense

13»

Comments

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited April 2019
    A bit off-topic, but this interested me...
    Chronicle analysis of federal data shows that, in the last five years, about half a million students have been displaced by college closures, which together shuttered more than 1,200 campuses.

That’s an average of 20 campus closures per month. Many of those affected are working adults living paycheck to paycheck, who carried hopes that college would be their path to the middle class.

Most are age 25 or older. About one in four are at least 35 years old.

They have severely hit low-income students, too: Nearly 70 percent of undergraduates at closed campuses received need-based Pell Grants. Black and Hispanic students also bear the brunt. About 57 percent of displaced students are racial minorities.

Among the more than 1,230 campuses that closed, 88 percent were operated by for-profit colleges. For-profit colleges represent only about one-tenth of U.S. college enrollment, but they account for nearly 85 percent of students displaced by closures in the last five years, according to The Chronicle’s analysis. That adds up to roughly 450,000 displaced for-profit college students.

While learning of the verb shuttered, I was also struck by the makeup of students impacted at closed for-profit colleges. I had a quick look at a few sites to get a better understanding of the phenomenon, and it looks as if, as always, the US was a few decades ahead of what happened in Australia with dodgy colleges setting up [and promising free iPads! and contacting people on welfare to say the "government would pay for it"*...] in the last decade or so over there... [I'm not saying all for-profit places are dodgy, but they do exist...]

Sad regarding the stats on minorities showing a heavier skew towards them too...again, similar experiences to NSW and the rise of these private colleges impacting immigrants or the poorly-educated (or desperate).

Anyway...thought it may be of interest.

* true in that you can defer payment and only be charged yearly inflation and no interest, and you only need to start paying it back when you earn ~$50,000+ per annum -- though they did in some instances charge multiple times what the government/other universities set!
  • Moo wrote: »
    tclune wrote: »
    Moo wrote: »
    Virginia Tech is in the boonies. If it weren't for the sports programs far fewer people would have heard of it.
    Not to worry: As long as their students keep shooting each other VT will have high name recognition.

One mentally ill student shot and killed twenty-seven students and five faculty members twelve years ago. This is not "shooting each other". There have been no other shootings.

I have toyed with the idea of calling you to Hell over this.

If you call him to Hell over this, I will applaud. Both my sister and my brother-in-law work at V.T. and both still suffer PTSD from the shooting. When I read that insensitive post...I wanted to scream and throw something.
  • nice comparison Climacus, between the US and Australia and the privatisation of education.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Thank you.

$6.5 million. $6,500,000. My goodness.

I missed this in previous reporting, though now they have a name it seems. I realise some universities have prestige, but 6.5 million dollars' worth?

I know it's only 1 student's view, but:
    Conversation about the college admissions scandal had died down in recent weeks on campus, Ms. Morris said, adding that she was not particularly bothered by the news.

“I know how I got in,” she said.
    I still get annoyed when my former universities (or current employer which is a uni), do something silly. Anger of course does not last forever, but I think I'd remain a bit annoyed. Am I odd (in this instance, not generally...)?