Matthew, Mark, Luke or John ?

RublevRublev Shipmate
Matthew, Mark, Luke or John ?

I once attended a Bible study where we were all invited to discuss which was our favourite gospel and why.

As we are halfway through Lent it might make a nice open ended discussion topic.

Personally, I am always drawn to the compassionate humanity of Jesus in Luke’s gospel. He portrays him as Jesus the storyteller and underlines His concern for outsiders like Zaccheus - an image of God which later inspired St Francis. He also shows Him saving people up to the last moment on the cross when He promises Dismas, 'Today you will be with me in paradise.

What do other people think?
(You can include non canonical gospels too, if you like).

Comments

• Fawkes CatFawkes Cat Shipmate
    [grumble]
    I think it would be nice to hear your views on threads started by someone other than yourself.
    [/grumble]
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    Please go ahead and start one.
  • Fawkes CatFawkes Cat Shipmate
    There's a wide choice available at https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussions
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Rublev wrote: »
    (You can include non canonical gospels too, if you like).

Well, in that case, I like the one where little-boy Jesus zaps people dead. Which one is that again?

• RublevRublev Shipmate
    The Infancy Gospel of Thomas where the child Jesus also makes clay birds and brings them to life. Quite an imaginative idea.
  • A Feminine ForceA Feminine Force Shipmate
    edited March 24
    The Thunder, Perfect Intellect
    GoTH
    Luke
    The Apocryphon of John
    GoPH

I'm partial to the red text in all the Gospels. The "Jesus said" stuff really moves me.

AFF
    edited March 24
    GoTH
    Luke
    The Apocryphon of John
    GoPH

I don't think I understand any of this. For starters, what do "GoTH" and "GoPH" mean?

EDIT: Gospel of Thomas and Gospel of Philip?

The Infancy Gospel of Thomas where the child Jesus also makes clay birds and brings them to life. Quite an imaginative idea.

Thanks. And what's the one where Jesus is running a sex cult?
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    I think we missed that one out at theological college. Can't think why.
  • W HyattW Hyatt Shipmate
    My favorite is John with its emphasis on Christ's divinity.
    I think we missed that one out at theological college. Can't think why.

The funny thing is, the reason I know about that is because of a book of apologetics written by a very conservative Canadian Anglican. Part of the book consists of an autobiographical account of his own conversion, and at one point the man who converted him, an academic of some sort, mentions the sex-cult gospel, quite casually, as an example of non-canonical writing about Jesus.

I don't recall the racy gospel being included in that John Dominic Crossan-edited anthology of all the gospels that came out in the 90s, during the Jesus Seminar boom. Though I didn't read the whole thing.

(The strange title of the apologetics book is related to its being partly a rebuttal to this book, a critique of Anglicanism by a left-wing Canadian historian, commissioned by the Anglican Church itself. As you can see, Berton's book was endorsed by John A.T. Robinson.)

• RublevRublev Shipmate
    I can understand why it's a non canonical writing.

If I wasn't on a shared computer right now, I would duckduckgo the relevant key words to find out which gospel that was. Maybe later.

• stetson wrote: »
    GoTH
    Luke
    The Apocryphon of John
    GoPH

I don't think I understand any of this. For starters, what do "GoTH" and "GoPH" mean?

EDIT: Gospel of Thomas and Gospel of Philip?

Yes. :)

AFF
  • Mark.

People become disciples simply when Jesus calls.

Disciples are are always getting it wrong and losing the plot, and even Jesus has to have more than one go at opening their eyes.

It doesn't have an end so we can see our story as a continuation of Mark's story.

The reuse, reframing, and alteration of Mark's stories give us the clue that we can do the same as needed.

stetson wrote: »

If I wasn't on a shared computer right now, I would duckduckgo the relevant key words to find out which gospel that was. Maybe later.

From doing a bit of research, I think the referenced gospel might have been The Secret Gospel Of Mark, which some interpret as showing Jesus getting it on with a guy or two. Though there does seem to be some debate about whether this gospel even existed, or was just a 20th Century hoax.

• RublevRublev Shipmate
    I thought you were having me on because I've never heard of it before. But the story of the Secret Gospel of Mark is on Wikipedia and it is very strange.
    edited March 25
    I thought you were having me on because I've never heard of it before. But the story of the Secret Gospel of Mark is on Wikipedia and it is very strange.

Yeah, the article is quite lenghty and detailed, considering what an obscure document that gospel is.

Which is a good thing, to have that kind of information, about something that wouldn't have warranted a paragraph in Encyclopedia Britannica, right at your fingertips.

I really believe that Jimmy Wales should get the Nobel Peace Prize.