Limbo/Oblivion

I'd like to ask about how threads end up in one or the other - and if some are deleted altogether.

I ask because I have recently had two contradictory thoughts on a controversial topic from DH.

It appears from my interactions with a particular poster over the years that they think it is important that certain things be said, apparently in case someone in the future were to find them.

Leaving aside some logical and practical difficulties with this idea, the end result is that this poster essentially repeatedly says the same specific things over and again. Which even on DH topics gets a bit tedious.

Anyway, I was thinking that if one could keep a specific thread in Limbo where this poster has made the point, then the argument that it needs to be said again appears to be diminished.

Alternatively, if the trimming process means that posts are actually lost (unless kept for specific reasons in Limbo or Oblivion) after a time, then the idea that an argument is kept as a library for the use of interested lurkers is also diminished.

One can't say that there is no need to repeat a long point if there isn't a record of it. But if records aren't kept then the argument a poster might be using of the necessity of writing down his gems for future generations may also be humbug.

In fairness, I don't think many current shipmates write for any real purpose other than the immediate contribution to a discussion.

Comments

• TubbsTubbs Admin
    Limbo threads tend to be kept forever as they showcase the best of the Ship. Oblivion gets purged every so often so it doesn't end up taking up all the server space.

The idea that anyone would write something other than to contribute to the discussion is something I'm struggling not to giggle at. It just strikes me as so pompous.
  • mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    Tubbs wrote: »
    Limbo threads tend to be kept forever as they showcase the best of the Ship. Oblivion gets purged every so often so it doesn't end up taking up all the server space.

The idea that anyone would write something other than to contribute to the discussion is something I'm struggling not to giggle at. It just strikes me as so pompous.

Well yes. It does seem slightly odd to me as well.

On the other hand, many shipmates have talked about particular threads or posts that they value and re-read later - I suppose for me the odd part is that anyone would think it possible that one could deliberately write in such a way that others might think it has lasting value at a later point. For an unknown future audience.

That's quite a weird thing to do, I'd suggest, on a bulletin board.