Which do you prefer?

In the Lutheran rites, there is a Brief General Order of Confession and Absolution which is usually done at the beginning of the service.

But there is also an order for Individual Confession and Reconciliation.

Without looking at the BCP, I assume you have similar rites (if you are Anglican)

Of the two orders, which one do you think is more effective for you?

Comments

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited March 30
    Neither and both - they are different and can't be compared. Individual is really spiritual direction.

The queues that used be seen outside Catholic churches late on Saturday afternoons are a thing of the past when confession followed by Mass while the chance of sinning again was pretty minimal, then a Saturday night out was the order of the day. Thinking about it, the practice died as use of the Pill became common - probably the need to confess increased while the consequences of sinning diminished.
  • BabyWombatBabyWombat Shipmate
    I agree. The congregational confession and absolution rite in TEC's BCP is embedded in the Eucharist, either at the start of the service (similar to most RCC congregations) or just after the Prayers of the People and just before the exchange of the peace.

The Reconciliation service is a one-on-one, private event.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    Congregation confession is like brushing your teeth, individual confession like going to a regular checkup at the Dentist.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Gee D wrote: »
    Neither and both - they are different and can't be compared. Individual is really spiritual direction.

The queues that used be seen outside Catholic churches late on Saturday afternoons are a thing of the past when confession followed by Mass while the chance of sinning again was pretty minimal, then a Saturday night out was the order of the day. Thinking about it, the practice died as use of the Pill became common - probably the need to confess increased while the consequences of sinning diminished.

I can remember my mother going to our Lutheran pastor on Saturday to announce for communion. It was basically a private confession.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Jengie Jon wrote: »
    Congregation confession is like brushing your teeth, individual confession like going to a regular checkup at the Dentist.
    Thank you!
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    I can remember my mother going to our Lutheran pastor on Saturday to announce for communion. It was basically a private confession.
    Was this in the MoSyn, in ELCA, or in the old LCA or another synod?