Urgent: new registration procedure today

EutychusEutychus Admin
edited April 1 in The Styx
[Edited to Add: now-obsolete April Fool's prank. Do not adjust your sets]

The Ship received notifcation an hour or so ago (i.e. this morning, UK time) that due to last-minute preparation for the scenario of a hard Brexit, emergency adjustments will be made to GDPR policy in the UK, where the Ship is registered.

I won't bother you with all the technical work this is involving behind the scenes right now, but the practical upshot of this is that Shipmates in the EU may not be able to see posts by Shipmates not in the EU, and vice versa, from April 12 onwards. (It is not yet clear how Commonwealth countries may be affected).

This obviously has serious potential to disrupt the boards, create misunderstandings, and exacerbate the danger of pond wars, with neither side being able to hear what the other has to say.

Unfortunately, we cannot rule out the possibility of subsequent UK post-Brexit legislation leading to further restrictions of discussions relating to various goods attracting Customs duty, such as alcohol, nation-specific religious groups, including the Church of England, and "culturally specific practices", such as Morris dancing.

The medium-term plan is to mitigate this by relocating the Ship's servers to 'neutral' territory such as Iceland or the Faroe Islands, but in the meantime we have no option but to ask all Shipmates to check whether they need to re-register (this must be under the same name as before).

The processs does not require you to log out, but if you think you could be affected in the light of the above information, you must carefully follow the steps explained here.

Thank you for your cooperation, and have a nice day.

Comments

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    😛😝😛
  • In the panic I forgot to add that the above procedure must be completed by noon today BST.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    (razz)...but plausible. Nice touch about Faroe Islands.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    😛😝😛

Testing after having completed the procedure in the link should be done on the UBB practice thread, not here.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    (razz)...but plausible. Nice touch about Faroe Islands.

This is exactly the kind of comment the new procedure is designed to mitigate.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    I think you’ll find you can avoid this problem by using a proof-lil gateway in your log-in and user recognition routines.
  • Now what about the Channel Islands? They're British but not EU.

Or relocate to San Serriffe: https://tinyurl.com/yygjpnwt
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    You so nearly had me because it was you and the impression I have of you is as infinitely trustworthy........hilarious!
  • BroJames wrote: »
    I think you’ll find you can avoid this problem by using a proof-lil gateway in your log-in and user recognition routines.

Thanks @BroJames, that sounds a little above my pay grade but I'll pass the suggestion on to @pease.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    It has been very quiet down here all day. A bit of a fizzer, or damp squib perhaps.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    ...I wonder if spaghetti-trees would grow in Iceland and the Faroes? I'm sure they would look very nice around the server farm, and even provide fresh lunch. Might even be adapted to use as decision trees in the server programming.

Amazing what one can learn from the BBC.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Yes, the date made sense of the OP
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Dead Horses Host
    You shouldn't make jokes like that, they may come back to haunt us! But nicely done.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    For all of us who immediately thought we had to concoct another impossibly long and complicated SoF password...
  • roybartroybart Shipmate
    Help, please! I have been receiving semi-gibberish posts, possibly from the Faroes or San Seriffe (we had such a lovely holiday there several years ago!) threatening us of dire consequences unless we divulge personal information about our Ship accounts. Several of these appear under the names of usually (or mostly) reliable posters. Should I delete my account (the "Hard" option)? Turn off my computer and reboot (the "Soft" option)? Or just dither and do nothing?
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    After re-registering, Miss Amanda will immediately set about the task of re-editing all existing MW reports to redact all references to the Church of England.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    roybart wrote: »
    Help, please! I have been receiving semi-gibberish posts, possibly from the Faroes or San Seriffe (we had such a lovely holiday there several years ago!) threatening us of dire consequences unless we divulge personal information about our Ship accounts. Several of these appear under the names of usually (or mostly) reliable posters. Should I delete my account (the "Hard" option)? Turn off my computer and reboot (the "Soft" option)? Or just dither and do nothing?
    Do they come from people who need your help moving vast sums of gold chocalitos (the currency on San Serriffe), offering you a share if you help them by lending them a sweetener in a hard currency of your choice?

Do they threaten you, that if you don't help them, they will out you as one whose underwear is in the wrong liturgical colours for the season?
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    One is always correct in gold, except during penitential seasons. So long as you are wearing gold underwear, you needn't worry. Oh, wait, it's Lent, isn't it . . . ?
  • Enoch wrote: »
    Do they come from people who need your help moving vast sums of gold chocalitos (the currency on San Serriffe), offering you a share if you help them by lending them a sweetener in a hard currency of your choice?
    Have they changed their currency, then? It used to be Coronas: https://tinyurl.com/y6e63cqe

• After re-registering, Miss Amanda will immediately set about the task of re-editing all existing MW reports to redact all references to the Church of England.
    What about the Church of Scotland, Church in Wales, Baptist Union of Great Britain (etc) .... and, of course, the trans-border Church of Ireland?

• After re-registering, Miss Amanda will immediately set about the task of re-editing all existing MW reports to redact all references to the Church of England.
    What about the Church of Scotland, Church in Wales, Baptist Union of Great Britain (etc) .... and, of course, the trans-border Church of Ireland?

All of which, as enny fule kno, are Non-Churches!
  • Oi!
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    After re-registering, Miss Amanda will immediately set about the task of re-editing all existing MW reports to redact all references to the Church of England.

CoI have to stop back.
  • Something like that. They already have alternative prayers for the Queen/the President, to be used as appropriate.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited April 1
    I take it that the required language under the new arrangements will be Old Norse ... :smiley:
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate
    Well done.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I've only seen two special announcements of the day, Eutychus's timely instructions, and APOD's serious bit of history.

Thank you for warning us, Eutychus!