Mystery Worship question: Huguenot Church, Charleston, SC

I'm a member of the Huguenot Society of South Carolina. While reading the latest newsletter, I saw a reference to a "mystery worshipper" ("one of an international network of individuals who visit different churches and report on their experiences") who visited the Huguenot Church in Charleston, on an unnamed site that reviews churches primarily "in England or elsewhere in Europe." The MW's "overall assessment of his experience was that the service made him feel glad that he is a Christian."

Some of my ancestors are memorialized in the church, and I'd like to see the report - but I can't find it. The visit was on a Day of Pentecost; I'm guessing, from the article, that it was in 2016.

I knew it wouldn't have appeared on the New Ship, but when I went back to the Old Ship to look for it, I discovered that MW has been linked to the New Ship - and it's all new stuff.

Have the old MW reports been thrown overboard, or am I just doing something wrong? (There are a couple of my reports that I wouldn't mind seeing again, too.)

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate
    I got back just too late to edit this: @Amanda B Reckondwyth.

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    edited April 2
    Is this the one?

All old reports from 2005 forward were ported over to the new software and should be searchable by church name or city. Also, if you are viewing the report of a particular reporter, you should be able to click on the reporter's name to bring up all reports by that reporter.

Reports previous to 2005 still exist but are not accessible under normal circumstances. I can retrieve them, though, on an as-requested basis.
    Thank you, Miss Amanda. I was searching for "Huguenot Church," which is how the place is pretty much universally known. (Had I written the report, I would have titled it "French Protestant (Huguenot) Church, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.")

I have not attended a service there (when I've been in Charleston on a Sunday, I've always gone to the family parish, the Church of the Holy Communion, which was the first Anglo-Catholic parish in the Southeast; they needed permission from the bishop to celebrate the Eucharist every Sunday, since once a month was then considered adequate), but it's certainly been on my radar since earliest childhood. Visits to admire the ancestral units' plaque (on the left, near the font) were de rigueur.

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    edited April 2
    I've added Huguenot to the search string, so now if you search for Huguenot you will find the church.

Church of the Holy Communion looks interesting. I don't know if we have anyone in Charleston who could pay them a visit. Interestingly, though, the "Episcopalians" link on their History page seems to be dead. I'm sure they meant to link to The Episcopal Church but the address is wrong.
    Thank you, Miss Amanda.

I apologize into spinning off into anecdote; that part probably belonged somewhere else.

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    @Rossweisse, I once again find myself thinking that we must be kin or at least connected somehow, though my Huguenot forebears were in Virginia (Manakin) rather than South Carolina.

The Mystery Worshipper report notes: “Services are held each Sunday in English using the liturgy contained in The Liturgy of the French Protestant Church, translated in 1836 from the editions of 1737 and 1772 published at Neufchatel and Vallangin.” FWIW, the Huguenot Church’s liturgy can be found hereor here. (Or a copy can be ordered from a certain online merchant via the first page linked.)

It is a really beautiful church.
    @Nick Tamen - You could be right! I had Huguenots on the paternal side, too, and they weren't South Carolinians. (Although the Charlestonian crowd were descended from Henri "Paris is worth a mass" IV/de Navarre through one of his multitudinous bastards.) Thank you for those links; I will check them out.

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    @Nick Tamen - You could be right! I had Huguenots on the paternal side, too, and they weren't South Carolinians.
    I’m just going to go ahead and assume we’re kin. :smile:

Cousin Nick!

(Thank you, patient hosts. We'll drop this now.)