Take anything you want but not my...

Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
edited April 5 in Heaven
As I was opening a jar this morning I thought how would I cook without my spring jar lid opener I have had for about 60 years. What household item do you really depend on, and would be lost without?

Comments

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Washing machine.
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    Wife.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    My stainless-steel microplane zester that still works perfectly after three years of constant use.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    Kettle. I need my cup of tea to start the day.
  • What Eigon said, but coffee.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited April 6
    Coffee.

And my new bean-to-cup coffee machine.

:love:
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    The Rogue wrote: »
    Wife.

Household ITEM :grey_question: :grey_question:

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    Wife.

House wife???
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    For me, it would be my little lifter. It is likely meant to be a cookie spatula but it is small and mighty and used daily. I just love it and have not seen any like it for sale lately.
  • Vitamix blender.

I have two, one to run on 110v and one for 220.

I cannot function without it.

AFF
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Frying pan
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    My Tupperwave (microwave) dishes: three round, one large oblong, one small oblong; still working well after at least thirty years.
  • Galilit wrote: »
    Frying pan

Ooooh - yes! The cast iron one especially!

AFF
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    There's nothing I couldn't live without if I had to. But my slotted spatula is my favorite implement. Nobody in the family likes it but me, which is just fine. (Click this sentence to see an example. I didn't pay nearly that much for mine, thankfully.)
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    edited April 6
    @mousethief When I click that link I am told that the page is not available in my region! I will just have to imagine your slotted spatula. For me it is my big chopping knife, 20 years a favourite.
  • Ice cream forks?

[@sine]
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Ice cream forks.

(Yes, we have some.)
  • Sine Nomine (no longer of this place) would be proud of you.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Ice cream forks.

(Yes, we have some.)

We call them splades or sporks.

:smile:

• CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »

Not just in the Pacific Northwest then. I think I would call that a variety of fish slice, which are of far more use than for slicing fish!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I have a 1950s pressure cooker which was my Mum’s - I love it and use it for soup at least once a week.

Like this one.
  • The5thMaryThe5thMary Shipmate
    MaryLouise wrote: »
    My stainless-steel microplane zester that still works perfectly after three years of constant use.

I am very tired. I read your post as: My stainless-steel microphone zester...
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    My vacuum cleaner. I went through a slight panic last year when the switch on my usual (had gone through three) Eureka "The Boss" vacuum broke. I went to Wal-mart to buy another one and they were gone! Why, I asked myself when of all their dozen or so vacuums the Boss was rated best, even better than the Dyson and cost only about $100? I went on line searching for another one and the only one I could find was one on E-Bay for an extortionate $999. I came to realize that no one wanted a bagged vacuum anymore, no matter how much better the suction or how much cleaner the air was after depositing the bag in the trash bin rather than dumping out a canister. You may laugh but this was a Great Gig Deal to me.

I was skirting the slough of despond.

Then my husband found The Oreck Command on line, still using bags, and ordered one for me even though it cost $449. This was a high point in our marriage as he is notoriously tight, but he must have sensed the urgency.

It's just a dandy little sweeper, not quite as powerful as the Boss, but far lighter and more maneuverable and, unlike the Sears that I bought and immediately returned, it doesn't leave wheel tracks and I can create the flawless, "new fallen snow" look that I like. The dog isn't as terrified of the Oreck as the other one, but I kind of miss it's powerful roar.
    Ice cream forks.

(Yes, we have some.)

When they’re plastic, yes. When they’re silver, they’re ice cream forks. :wink:

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Ice cream forks.

(Yes, we have some.)

I’ve never seen a plastic one. 😛
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I suppose the one thing that would have to be replaced immediately upon going phut (and was a few weeks ago) would be the bread-machine, as it gets used at least once or twice a week.

Other things you'd have to prise from my cold, dead hands: dishwasher, washing-machine ...

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate
    I am glad to say that I have never seen a splade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    I suppose the one thing that would have to be replaced immediately upon going phut (and was a few weeks ago) would be the bread-machine, as it gets used at least once or twice a week.

I’ve already bought my bread machine’s replacement! I love it and they don’t make this model, so I got an unused one off eBay for £20!

Now I sometimes use the two together when we are having a lot of visitors and want fresh, warm bread to go with the soup - delicious!

Ice cream forks.

(Yes, we have some.)

I’ve never seen a plastic one. 😛
    We apparently do not frequent the same Fine Fast Food Establishments. :smile:

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I never frequent any fast food establishments!
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    I got a nice black plastic one at Kentucky Fried Chicken yesterday for to eat my fake mashed potatoes.

Boogie's dogs probably eat better than we have lately.
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    Dyson
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    My microwave. I swear that I'm actually going to cook real meals more regularly, but then I nuke 'em all!
    I never frequent any fast food establishments!
    Would that I were as virtuous.

(Though there are some pretty virtuous fast food places, at least by my standards.)
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    edited April 7
    Firenze wrote: »
    I am glad to say that I have never seen a splade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.

I think splades originated down here. For a time, they were a very popular wedding present, especially in 1960s and 70s. Stainless steel.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    My 8 quart, Farberware stainless steel stockpot. This lovely pot has helped me to make many, many gallons of various soups and other things (iced tea for many and cinnamon tea for me). The bottom has stayed level, and it's easy to clean. Take my Revere ware stockpot if you must, but don't touch my favorite one.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin
    family - although that goes without saying and does include the cat. I'd add my coffee maker, milk, sugar and packet of the good stuff as well as my Kindle.
  • I couldn't live without a computer - it has become such a ubiquitous tool in my life that I'd be lost without it. I do own a cellphone now, after having gone for many years without seeing the need, and although I find it a convenience (mostly not for its phone capabilities, although Mrs C sometimes finds that useful) I could give it up without too much trouble if necessary.

(Siderant: people use cellphones as a crutch so they don't have to make robust plans.)

But in terms of simpler stuff, it's my electric kettle. That's the first thing I bought when I moved to the US, and I tend to travel with one too (hotel rooms have coffee makers, but you can't make tea with a coffee maker because it doesn't get hot enough.)
  • balaambalaam Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Wife.

A device you screw on the bed and it does all the housework.

This old joke was brought to you by the Ship archaeological society.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    Lyda wrote: »
    My microwave. I swear that I'm actually going to cook real meals more regularly, but then I nuke 'em all!

Lyda, we have a combination microwave which is wonderful - it cooks on microwave, convection, or a combination of both. It gets used as an oven more than our big oven.
    So the combination microwave would be top of the list along with the airfryer and my parents' large knife, a proper sharp curved knife which can be used to cut just about anything.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Priscilla wrote: »
    Lyda wrote: »

Lyda, we have a combination microwave which is wonderful - it cooks on microwave, convection, or a combination of both. It gets used as an oven more than our big oven.
    So the combination microwave would be top of the list along with the airfryer and my parents' large knife, a proper sharp curved knife which can be used to cut just about anything.

OOOoooo! What do they call that kind of oven? And what companies make them? Thanks!
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    The combination microwaves have been around for many years. My son bought one about 1995 and they were not new then.

I would hate to have my good knives taken. They make food preparation so easy.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    My old brown teapot. If I weren't planning on cremation or some better green alternative they've come up with by then, I'd have it buried with me.I need it to steep-and-steam in its cozy by my breakfast every morning, and I need it to stand by me as I plow through student papers every afternoon.

4 p.m. cannot arrive without my teapot.
  • I’m with all those going for the electric kettle. Putting the kettle on is an act of love.

• finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    Hard to say one, because they go together. I use my frying pan a lot, but also need my hob to use it. And my fridge freezer to keep my food in.
  • I have a stone-wear beer stein (Bierkrug) given to me by my dear departed in-laws some 25 years ago. I make tea every morning and evening. I fill it to the 50 cl line** and think of them. If it was lost or broken I would still think of them, I would still drink tea, but the quantity drank would be sadly imprecise.

** close to a pint, ½ of the official Biermaß (lit. beer mass meaning official beer amount)
  • balaambalaam Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    edited April 9
    Two pans. One is heavy cast iron griddle pan, great for red and green peppers as well as the obvious meat frying. T'other one is a lighter frying pan which is naturally no stick. No Teflon, just wipe with a dry cloth after use and it's ready for next time.

Edit

Forget that. I'd starve or eat raw food before I part with my Fender Telecaster.
  • You cook with your guitar? Or perhaps sing to what's simmering in your heavy cast iron griddle pan
  • Hot water... We've just spent a day without it after our heater expired noisily and messily on an unseasonably cold day. Had to haul the old one back to the store to pick up the warranty replacement, and it took all day before we rejoined civilisation.