Take anything you want but not my...

2»

Comments

• Jane RJane R Shipmate
    My garlic crusher.

Oh well, if you insist I *could* live without it... but crushing the garlic cloves is so emotionally satisfying when you've had a bad day...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Not nearly as satisfying as putting the whole clove on a chopping board, bashing it with the flat of a broad knife and the skin coming away. Then a few back-and-forth strokes while you hold the tip of the blade in one hand and the handle in the other, and Bob's your uncle.

I used to think a garlic crusher was essential to civilisation, but since I discovered the method above, I'm not so sure (and cleaning them is a pain). YMMV, of course.
  • Fellow garlic crusher with a knife here Piglet. So easy and no messy clean up of press. I also think it is faster if you have several to do.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    And, as Piglet says, very satisfying.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    Not nearly as satisfying as putting the whole clove on a chopping board, bashing it with the flat of a broad knife and the skin coming away. Then a few back-and-forth strokes while you hold the tip of the blade in one hand and the handle in the other ...
    That's the method I've used for a couple of decades now, and I know of no innovation that improves upon it.

• RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Ohher wrote: »
    My old brown teapot. If I weren't planning on cremation or some better green alternative they've come up with by then, I'd have it buried with me.

Have them cremate you and put your ashes in the teapot!

The thing I can't live without is my cast-iron skillet. I cook almost everything in it, and I don't even have a place for it in the cupboard; it just stays on the stove.
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    And it makes such a handy impromptu weapon.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Not nearly as satisfying as putting the whole clove on a chopping board, bashing it with the flat of a broad knife and the skin coming away. Then a few back-and-forth strokes while you hold the tip of the blade in one hand and the handle in the other, and Bob's your uncle.

I used to think a garlic crusher was essential to civilisation, but since I discovered the method above, I'm not so sure (and cleaning them is a pain). YMMV, of course.

The clove has only ever shot out once.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    It has never done that even once with me, much to my surprise.
  • churchgeekchurchgeek Shipmate
    I have a silicone spoon that doubles as a spatula. The end is somewhat square-ish, so you can really clean out a jar with it. But it's also just an ordinary cooking spoon. I had bought one years ago, and then damaged it. To get a new one at that time, I had to buy a whole set of gadgets, including a spatula/turner and ladle. Oh well, it was worth it to get that spoon back, and one can never have too many spatulas.

(OK, one probably can have too many spatulas...)

Many of my favorite gadgets involve silicone.

I also love my hand-held pot strainer - the half-circle with holes in it with a handle that you place over a pot, say, of pasta that you want to pour water out of. It appears the name for it is "pot strainer" or "pot drainer".
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Because I regularly make my own chicken stock, my life would be a lot more hassle without my stock pot. It's big enough to take the bones of two chickens, very lightweight and has a strainer that's easy to lift out, and makes stock-making a breeze.