Held to ransom for 5 dollars

You've doubtless heard of ransomware, where somebody attacks your computer over the internet and basically freezes it until you play them large amounts of money to get it working again. That's a whole world of hurt and very serious.

But I got to thinking, What if there was a ... more petty form of this, where they seized control of some internet-connected thingy in your life, and then refused to stop messing with it until you paid 5 dollars? Like the Fiverr website, where people do trivial tasks to get 5 bucks--except here it's a 5 dollar ransom to get rid of a petty annoyance. And here's where the game comes in:

If you were the hacker, what would you do to annoy people sufficiently to make them give up 5 bucks (or equivalent)? Or take it the other way--what would be worth 5 bucks to make it go away?

Pay me 5 bucks...

... or your Roomba will spin in circles forever.

... or your coffee pot will brew watery crap till the end of time.

... or your internet radio will play Rick Astley's "Never going to give you up" till you puke.

Got any to add?

Comments

• mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Every condom you buy, borrow, or steal will have a hole.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Mine's not techy, more cursey. (Hmmm...hexes and such as magical hacking?)

--Closed drawers will never open for you.

--Open drawers will never close for you.

--Toilet paper will run out at the worst time.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Every YouTube search you do for Angel Of The Morning will bring up the Juice Newton version.
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Whenever you start the dishwasher, you will discover one thing you have missed 10 minutes later.

Everything you record will miss the last minute.
  • Your dog will be the only one to hear a high pitched whiny noise coming from your computer and will respond by howling. forever.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Whenever you start the dishwasher, you will discover one thing you have missed 10 minutes later.

If I could make that go away for $5 I'd consider it a bargain.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    mousethief wrote: »

If I could make that go away for $5 I'd consider it a bargain.
    I was thinking something along those lines, Mousethief - you don't need a hex for that!
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    I'd willingly pay up to get rid of those phone calls where you struggle to get to the phone and pick it up only to hear....no-one on the other end.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    You are forced to change your password once a day.