Mediæval miscellany

ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
Monks clearly knew something about rabbits we don't!

I really find manuscript artwork fascinating. Such variety.

Any interesting examples you've come across you'd like to share?

Comments

• AthrawesAthrawes Shipmate
    I am planning a needle felted jousting snail for a friend's birthday. I love the marginalia in manuscripts, as it is such a delight! I have a couple of books with charted designs taken from various manuscripts, which are wonderful. They are Here Be Wyverns and Here Be Drolleries. They are both out of print now, but are still available as PDF files on Etsy, for those interested.
  • AthrawesAthrawes Shipmate
    Double post to say the jousting snail is the one in your linked article!
  • The last Abbot of Waltham Abbey, the last Abbey to be dissolved in the dissolution of the monasteries, doodled in his notebooks, and had the most fantastic pictures of the monastery cat and all sorts. Not that they are accessible, they are in the reserved books in the British Library that you can only access if you have the right credentials.

There are records of the Abbot's negotiations with Thomas Cromwell, yes, that Thomas Cromwell, which resulted in various land swaps from the monastery to the crown and Abbot Robert Fuller ending up with a job as the priest at one of the Smithfield churches.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Do any medieval texts discuss these homicidal rabbits?
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Moo wrote: »

Well, we do know about the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog who attacked the Knights seeking the Holy Grail.
    :wink:
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate

I don’t know, but someone has a theory.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »

Well, we do know about the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog who attacked the Knights seeking the Holy Grail.
    :wink:
    Exactly what I was thinking, Pigwidgeon! :mrgreen:
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    Heh, I never realised the concept of a 'bunny with an axe' was a Medieval thing.
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    I'm rather partial to this one.
    https://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/.a/6a00d8341c464853ef017ee73ca78b970d-popup

My favourite isn't medieval, though. Chilperic illuminated Ps 138 for me with pictures of our cats in it. He also did a rather good migraine distortion.