Dogs and heaven

I was once told by a member of the clergy, that dogs do not go to heaven
I suspect the man who spoke was still alive, and therefore his certainty on the matter could be called into question
My feeling is that without dogs, heaven would not be heaven.
Dogs are amazing.
Kind, funny, loving, forgiving and rarely lose their temper.
It is true that one dog did kill a ten year old boy today, however, and so I do appreciate that dogs are not perfect.
So what do you think?
st Peter at the Pearly Gate will allow dogs in? Or not?
«1

Comments

  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, I'm not going.
  • I agree Pigwidgeon. I met a Labrador called Pickles yesterday an by his expression, I think he was the most saintly dog I've ever met. He was having a holiday from his main duty as a guide dog and had been running on the beach for a week. He was a wonderful dog. I was pleased to meet him. I am rarely pleased to meet people.
  • Gath fachGath fach Shipmate
    Dogs can be allowed jn, as long as they promise not to bother the cats
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    You need to connect with Boogie. She is a premier dog person who raises puppies to become service dogs. Hip! Hip! Arf!
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    I remember there being much discussion about this when I was a child and at the time I concluded that there would obviously BE dogs in heaven, because it wouldn't be heaven otherwise, and rather than God creating a whole bunch of new dogs just for heaven, why would he not just reuse the ones we had known and loved here on earth?

    Frankly this answer still works pretty well for me. I cannot really fathom what eternity or the afterlife might be like, but if I can imagine that my mother and my Aunt Gertie and my friend Jamie will be there when I get there, I can just as easily imagine that Skip and Mindy and Max will be there too. If it is really perfection, it must in some way encompass all good things that we have loved.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    If my cats aren't in heaven, I will be sad. Since heaven is supposedly where there is no more sorrow, then obviously my cats will be there. Makes sense to me.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    I'm expecting to be reunited with my cats, Nicole, and your reasoning makes sense to me, too. I certainly hope they're there!
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    If my cats aren't in heaven, I will be sad. Since heaven is supposedly where there is no more sorrow, then obviously my cats will be there. Makes sense to me.

    Well-argued.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited April 14
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, I'm not going.

    Nor me.
    Lyda wrote: »
    You need to connect with Boogie. She is a premier dog person who raises puppies to become service dogs. Hip! Hip! Arf!
    You called? :tongue:

    I have my pet dog, Tatze, she’s a six year old black Lab and a gentle happy soul.

    I raise pups for Guide dogs - my last pup, Keir, is in training to become a guide and hearing dog. He’s done his Guide Dog training and he’s now at hearing dog school.

    My present pup, Spencer, is a black golden retriever/Lab cross and he’s a scamp!

    Here they are before Keir went to school. 💖

    You can’t be in my presence for two minutes without me mentioning dogs. :mrgreen:

  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    I was once told by a member of the clergy, that dogs do not go to heaven
    I suspect the man who spoke was still alive, and therefore his certainty on the matter could be called into question
    My feeling is that without dogs, heaven would not be heaven.
    Dogs are amazing.
    Kind, funny, loving, forgiving and rarely lose their temper.
    It is true that one dog did kill a ten year old boy today, however, and so I do appreciate that dogs are not perfect.
    So what do you think?
    st Peter at the Pearly Gate will allow dogs in? Or not?

    I think your point would have been stronger avoiding mention of their occasionally killing children than glibly passing over it as if it were a minor fault.
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »

    You can’t be in my presence for two minutes without me mentioning dogs. :mrgreen:
    As an aside, can one be in your presence without a dog?

  • I do not feel that a dog killing a child is a minor fault and I suspect your need to see me as holding a glib attitude, is something to do with your need to be negative about people.. … this is why I prefer dogs to people. Dogs don't need to be negative about people. But oh, can we really forget what people do to dogs? Dreadful things. Children who kick dogs, slice of their ears, set fire to them, blind them...…. are we really to mourn the death of such children? Frankly, I think they deserve what they get
  • Boogie wrote: »
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, I'm not going.

    Nor me.
    Lyda wrote: »
    You need to connect with Boogie. She is a premier dog person who raises puppies to become service dogs. Hip! Hip! Arf!
    You called? :tongue:

    I have my pet dog, Tatze, she’s a six year old black Lab and a gentle happy soul.

    I raise pups for Guide dogs - my last pup, Keir, is in training to become a guide and hearing dog. He’s done his Guide Dog training and he’s now at hearing dog school.

    My present pup, Spencer, is a black golden retriever/Lab cross and he’s a scamp!

    Here they are before Keir went to school. 💖

    You can’t be in my presence for two minutes without me mentioning dogs. :mrgreen:

    KEIR AND SPENCER ARE GORGEOUS. Boogie I salute you and a huge round of applause for the work that you do
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host
    edited April 14
    Yikes, @Peaceoftheaction666, that sounds too graphic and intense for early on a Sunday morning. Yes, we all know about cruelty to animals and that animals do attack humans at times. But the real joy is that we get to enjoy and be with our dog companions in the this life and don't have to wait for heaven. Though I expect the togetherness to continue --
  • I will happily consign to hell, those who enjoy being cruel to animals. And happily enjoy heaven, amid convivial dogs , whose intelligence, compassion and sense of humour will make eternity a lovely place.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Five years ago, I welcomed a lovely dog into my home. She's now certified as a visiting therapy dog and she's just the perfect one for me. I do consider this question at least as often as I consider the whole heaven issue for people. I was glad to stumble upon a meme that shows an older man approaching St. Peter and a small dog happily approaching the man. The caption has St. Peter saying, "So you're little Bobby; well, Rex here has been going on and on about you for the last 50 years." That sums up my thinking on the matter.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/s0dSl

  • Excellent - a lovely image x
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited April 14
    Gath fach wrote: »
    Dogs can be allowed jn, as long as they promise not to bother the cats
    Speaking of cats (and dogs, and the hereafter), there is this thread from just a month or so ago: Is there a resurrection for cats?

    Granted, it veered off in quite a different direction before all was said and done.

  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    I blame you for starting TLOTR tangent Nick.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Boogie wrote: »

    You can’t be in my presence for two minutes without me mentioning dogs. :mrgreen:
    As an aside, can one be in your presence without a dog?

    Very rarely, my pups come everywhere with me from seven weeks old onwards.

  • Of course there are dogs in heaven.

    We've got biblical warrant for the existence of animals in the new heaven and new earth, and those (like my sister-in-law) who misread Revelation to be keeping the poor puppers out--well, they will have a happy surprise coming.
    Seriously, can anyone doubt that Jesus was the kind of man who always has an entourage of dogs and toddlers trailing behind him?
  • That all depends on the state in which we arrive in the next life. Dogs make me profoundly nervous, always have, and I'm horribly allergic to cats. So, if my condition doesn't change, then I hope there is a pet-free area. It would also need to exclude all rodents, as I'm even more allergic to them.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    There are no allergies in Heaven.
    :smile:

    (I write this as I'm living in allergy Hell. Achoo!)
    :cry:
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    And no fear either. You get to love and enjoy the dogs just like people in the movies do. :)
  • dogs are not perfect.
    Neither are people.
    Christ died to save people from the consequences of their imperfections, and belief in Him gives imperfect people entry to heaven. We assume that God makes allowances for innocent infants - maybe for dogs and cats too?
    And fleas and ticks?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited April 14
    Boogie wrote: »
    ... You can’t be in my presence for two minutes without me mentioning dogs. :mrgreen:
    You've heard of crazy cat ladies? Boogie's a crazy (but very clever) dog lady (and Keir and Spencer are utterly adorable)! :smiley:

    I've never had a pet, but I like other people's dogs, especially West Highland terriers, Labradors, Retrievers and Newfoundlands. If there aren't going to be any in Heaven*, it'll be a deep disappointment.

    * assuming I get in ... :innocent:
  • Some people like Snakes
    I don't
    I wonder if pet Snakes enter the kingdom of heaven?
  • Rublev wrote: »
    I blame you for starting TLOTR tangent Nick.

    You'd be mistaken.
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    A chance remark as we say in Middle Earth. In that case we were 'meant' to have the discussion...
  • And that is an encouraging thought.
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
    Yes, you are clearly Gandalf. Whereas I am clearly Pippin. And I will cease further discussion of TLOTR lest Tolkien subsumes the dogs in the same way as the cats.
  • I am not a dog person at all, but will go along with them in Heaven if a heavenly solution to the problem of them crapping where I'm going to step in it has been found. (We briefly gave houseroom to Older Daughter's dog, and I will not soon forget rolling out of bed one morning and stepping straight into just such a problem).
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited April 14
    I do not feel that a dog killing a child is a minor fault and I suspect your need to see me as holding a glib attitude, is something to do with your need to be negative about people.. … this is why I prefer dogs to people. Dogs don't need to be negative about people. But oh, can we really forget what people do to dogs? Dreadful things. Children who kick dogs, slice of their ears, set fire to them, blind them...…. are we really to mourn the death of such children? Frankly, I think they deserve what they get

    Children deserve to die ummourned if they hurt dogs? Ye gods! And you have any evidence at all that this happened in this case? No, I imagine not.

    And as for your personal attack, we only do those in Hell.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited April 14
    I am not a dog person at all, but will go along with them in Heaven if a heavenly solution to the problem of them crapping where I'm going to step in it has been found. (We briefly gave houseroom to Older Daughter's dog, and I will not soon forget rolling out of bed one morning and stepping straight into just such a problem).

    I have a solution to that. Anyone whose animal's deposit is traced back to them gets a hundredweight of shitted kids' trainers to clean with their tongue. That may deter sufficiently.
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, I'm not going.

    Comments like this bother me, even on the Heaven board. It's not like choosing a Hilton vs a Marriott based on which has a pool or has the better shampoo. Or avoiding a family reunion if the cousin who insulted your spouse is going to be there.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    <snip> I suspect your need to see me as holding a glib attitude, is something to do with your need to be negative about people.<snip>

    [Hosting]
    @Peaceoftheaction666 I believe you are new here on the Ship. I would like to suggest you read The Ten Commandments, particularly number 3. The only place for personal attacks is in Hell.

    I hope you enjoy your voyage with us!

    jedijudy-Heaven Host
    [/Hosting]



  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    edited April 17
    This one surely deserves to go: Saint Collie
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Twilight wrote: »
    This one surely deserves to go: Saint Collie

    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    Trudy wrote: »
    I remember there being much discussion about this when I was a child and at the time I concluded that there would obviously BE dogs in heaven, because it wouldn't be heaven otherwise, and rather than God creating a whole bunch of new dogs just for heaven, why would he not just reuse the ones we had known and loved here on earth?

    I always remember my mother's comment that God never wastes anything. So of course the dogs we knew on earth will be there.

    And as far as the dogs that attack children are concerned ... God forgives PEOPLE who kill other people, so why should he not forgive dogs?
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    Sparrow wrote: »
    Trudy wrote: »
    I remember there being much discussion about this when I was a child and at the time I concluded that there would obviously BE dogs in heaven, because it wouldn't be heaven otherwise, and rather than God creating a whole bunch of new dogs just for heaven, why would he not just reuse the ones we had known and loved here on earth?

    I always remember my mother's comment that God never wastes anything. So of course the dogs we knew on earth will be there.

    And as far as the dogs that attack children are concerned ... God forgives PEOPLE who kill other people, so why should he not forgive dogs?
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Also, dogs don't make moral choices the way humans do. If a dog bites a child (or an adult, or another pet), it's not because they've been presented with a temptation to do wrong and yielded to temptation. They are acting on instinct -- because they feel threatened, usually, even if we as humans can't see the threat because we're not thinking like a dog. If there is any moral component to an animal attack on a child, it could be in the dog owner not taking trouble to train it properly or the child's guardian not supervising them properly around a dog (though even when both those things are in place bad encounters can still happen, but are much rarer). It's not the dog's "fault" the way it's a human's fault if they hit another human.

    All this to say, I don't think even the bitiest dog would be kept out of heaven, although presumably in heaven it will always feel safe and not threatened so have no need to attack.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    If we can assume that in Heaven everything is perfect, then the dogs won't bite (and the heavenly choir will sing in tune, but that'll be for another thread).
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    If we can assume that in Heaven everything is perfect, then the dogs won't bite (and the heavenly choir will sing in tune, but that'll be for another thread).
    ...and the cats won't shed or hack up hairballs on the carpeting...


  • ... and the dogs won't include those belonging to some of our Easter tourists which killed one sheep, 5 lambs and caused another 8 pregnant ewes such severe injury they've had to be put down.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Oh, @TheOrganist, that's horrible! Is there any recourse?
  • Depends if the wretches left any litter which will help them to be identified, but at the moment it seems unlikely.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    That's really unspeakable. I am so sorry.
  • I don’t know about heaven, but in the new coming Kingdom, God promised to set all things right, which certainly includes dogs. I suspect some of us humans might get in as well, but you may need a recomendation from a Labradoodle
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Seriously, can anyone doubt that Jesus was the kind of man who always has an entourage of dogs and toddlers trailing behind him?
    What a great image. Wouldn't that make a lovely stained-glass window?!
  • OOOOOOOooooooooohhhhh....
Sign In or Register to comment.