Poems for the spiritual journey

2»

Comments

• I'm not a major Blake fan--I like the Tyger poem and a few of the others, but I'd strongly recommend people not waste their time with his longer poetry. He was trying to set up a mythology of his own which is near incomprehensible, gives off creepy vibes, and is as boring as hell IMHO. So I'd suggest sticking to the short poems.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    At our (state) high school in the 1950's we had a keen young English teacher (later an Anglican priest) who introduced me to G M Hopkins whom I still love. A later university lecturer (not a Christian) introduced me to T S Eliot and Donne. Both are still part of my readings and reflections.

Or as they said when I was in English I all those decades ago, T S Manley Donne.
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
    certainly luminous, mystical ... not orthodox but often strangely, fiercely holy
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Purgatory Host
    My introduction to William Blake was reading an illustrated edition of his Songs of Innocence and Experience. This is where you'll find some of his most loved poems, including the Tyger ( mentioned by Lamb Chopped above) , the Garden of Love and The Sick Rose.

There's a number of free online e-texts to check out: this is the Gutenberg link.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Thanks!
  • ECraigRECraigR Shipmate
    I'm not a major Blake fan--I like the Tyger poem and a few of the others, but I'd strongly recommend people not waste their time with his longer poetry. He was trying to set up a mythology of his own which is near incomprehensible, gives off creepy vibes, and is as boring as hell IMHO. So I'd suggest sticking to the short poems.

LC here is patently biased, but at least up front about it. Blake’s long poems are an achievement unique in the annals of poetry and creativity. Beyond their visionary and prophetic tone, they’re also fun to read, if you have some guidance. Fortunately Blake is very well studied and guidance abounds.

But, yes, his shorter poems are all quite good as standalone works as well. His way of thinking about the divine and our relationship to it is quite unique.
  • Heh.