FOX News

TwilightTwilight Shipmate
This article frightened and upset me. It seems like Fox news is preying on old people the way Reader's Digest Sweepstakes did to my father before he died 20 years ago. I'm glad his nice, liberal self didn't get caught up in the paranoia and lies that seem to "catch" lonely, fearful people.

My story is about our local Burger King, one section faces a TV that is always on sports, which we don't follow, while the other section faces a TV that is permanently on Fox. I always sit theer, thinking that while my husband gets his burger fix I can catch up on the events of the day for 20 minutes without my head exploding. One day it did start to explode, so I asked the counter clerk if she would mind changing the channel to CNN since we were the only ones there. She said, "No, sorry, the franchise owner has decreed it should always be on Fox even though lots of people had complained. He would rather lose business than look away. Wow.

Do you have a Fox story?

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Besides paying good money for a day pass to the lounges at American Airlines in various cities, and being unable to escape the lunatic screaming on Fox?

(WQXR in New York has a fun feature to promote the Metropolitan Opera's weekly radio broadcasts: exploring operas in three minutes. For "Tosca," we were told that Cavaradossi was tortured by being shown "cable news network after cable news network." In vain did Tosca beg Scarpia to "make the breaking news alerts stop." I can totally relate. Of course, I prefer to read my news, sans hysteria of any stripe.)

• PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I love WQXR's three-minute opera synopses! And I did laugh at Cavaradossi's torture. :lol:

(Listening to WQXR as I type this. It's SO much better than Phoenix's classical station, though I'm delighted that we even have a classical station, and I do make a monthly donation. And I love its call letters, KBAQ.)

Apologies for the tangent.
    I listen to (and support) four classical stations, via an iPod plugged into my good stereo system. WFMT is having a drawn-out pledge drive, so I've been listening to WQXR instead. It may be worth noting that I don't have cable TV - why would I want to be forced to pay for Fox News?

• PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    I had no idea people had to PAY to watch Faux News! I'm pretty sure it's a regular, non-cable station here.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    The regular Fox station is part of the non-pay basic set with NBC, CBS &ABC, but it's the Fox 24 hour news channel, set up to rival CNN, that is the pay for it, cable station. One probably needs to get that for the full brain washing to take effect.
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    You've got to admire someone who has the balls to addle people's brains and charge them for the service.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    In the Student Union at the community college where I've been taking courses, there are two TV monitors: one permanently tuned to CNN and the other permanently tuned to Faux News. I was able to configure a portable remote control to work with either one of them. I've been regularly turning off the Faux News monitor. They finally gave up trying to turn it back on, and it's been off for about a month now.

Unfortunately the monitors are configured not to allow the channel to be changed, or else I would change the Faux News monitor to MSNBC.
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    I've been regularly turning off the Faux News monitor. They finally gave up trying to turn it back on, and it's been off for about a month now.

LOVE it!

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    In the Student Union at the community college where I've been taking courses, there are two TV monitors: one permanently tuned to CNN and the other permanently tuned to Faux News. I was able to configure a portable remote control to work with either one of them. I've been regularly turning off the Faux News monitor. They finally gave up trying to turn it back on, and it's been off for about a month now.

Unfortunately the monitors are configured not to allow the channel to be changed, or else I would change the Faux News monitor to MSNBC.

Forward the revolution!
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Dead Horses Host
    Fox News was discontinued in the UK, because of low viewing figures and Murdoch machinations over ownership of Sky. I used to watch it for a couple of hours a week, both for laughs and to sharpen my critical faculties. But I got annoyed by all the lying and misrepresentation.

It's accessible by internet but I can't be arsed any more. With a few exceptions, the presenters are just blatant propagandists.
  • The Rogue wrote: »
    You've got to admire someone who has the balls to addle people's brains and charge them for the service.

Interesting thought. I wonder if one could usefully compare Fox News with Scientology.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    Amanda B deserves a metal for saving the minds of a whole generation of local college students!
  • KittyvilleKittyville Shipmate
    I thought this was excellent: https://youtube.com/watch?v=uMGZHO_mJkE (Sorry - not good at links).
  • Miss Amanda you are my hero.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I hate hate hate Rupert Murdoch, the owner. His mum, Dame Elizabeth, had a great reputation in my city. She was a great philanthropist and raised lots of money for the arts and to put extra wings on hospitals and the like. She truly deserved her gong. His Dad too had a good reputation, although he was as involved in politics as his son. He made his name as a young man reporting on conditions for Australian soldiers in Europe during WW1. But Rupert has no redeeming features, unless he has kept up his parents' charitable donations quietly. I'd give him a couple of ticks for that.

Anyway, you can get fox news in Australia, but only through the computer or if you subscribe to Foxtel, a joint-venture between Murdoch and Telstra, formerly the wholly owned Telecom Australia, now fully privatised in line with bulldust economics. :rage:
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    ...But Rupert has no redeeming features, unless he has kept up his parents' charitable donations quietly. I'd give him a couple of ticks for that. ...
    There appears to be no evidence of that.

• gustavagustava Shipmate
    One point in Rupert Murdoch's favour is that he didn't interfere in the investigation by Wall Street Journal (owned by his company) into the misdoings of high-profile tech start up company Theranos despite having invested in Theranos heavily himself; Elizabeth Holmes was able to manipulate other players including George Schultz but not Murdoch, ( https://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/rupert-murdoch-among-star-studded-investors-duped-by-theranos-20180505-p4zdj7.html )
  • gustavagustava Shipmate
    Here's a link that better explains Murdoch's role: https://ricochet.com/606605/an-unsung-hero-of-the-theranos-saga-rupert-murdoch/
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Anyway, you can get fox news in Australia, but only through the computer or if you subscribe to Foxtel, a joint-venture between Murdoch and Telstra, formerly the wholly owned Telecom Australia, now fully privatised in line with bulldust economics. :rage:
    Are you forgetting (probably for the best...) Sky News "after dark" (what we lefty libruls call the mad nutjobs who appear once the sun goes down)?

One woman's resigning after it all got too much says it all.

And well done Miss Amanda!