Why did they do it that way?

Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
I recently had the need to purchase some, erm, unmentionables. Of course I turned to ebay, where I can usually find anything I need or want at a reasonable price.

Concerning the unmentionables, of course I wanted white, so I could wash them in hot water and bleach along with my sheets and other white things.

Well, even on ebay, I found vendor after vendor selling the item in question in every conceivable color, adorned with every conceivable pattern, except white. Those that were white were marked with a designer label and sold for a price for an individual item that was more than I would pay for a package of five.

Finally, on page 9 of the listings, I found one that was close enough to what I was looking for.

Why are some things designed in a way just the opposite of what someone may be interested in buying?

Do you know of any other objects besides Miss Amanda's unmentionables that you have noticed fit this category?

Comments

• CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    I can only assume that the demographic being targeted for selling unmentionables online is different from the demographic you fall into.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    I have tried online unmentionable buying. It seems they sell mostly for those designs that one would be embarrassed to be seen buying. Some come into the NSFW category.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Miss Amanda is going to try to get people's minds off her unmentionables and bring the thread back to the discussion she hoped to spark by the OP.

I've always wondered why telephones have number keypads that advance the numbers from top to bottom, but calculators, computer keyboards and other such devices have number keypads that advance from bottom to top. Why not use the same numbering scheme on all devices on which numbers are entered from a keypad?
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Miss Amanda is going to try to get people's minds off her unmentionables and bring the thread back to the discussion she hoped to spark by the OP.

I've always wondered why telephones have number keypads that advance the numbers from top to bottom, but calculators, computer keyboards and other such devices have number keypads that advance from bottom to top. Why not use the same numbering scheme on all devices on which numbers are entered from a keypad?

Because they evolved separately and are used quite differently and there's absolutely no reason to try to reconcile them?
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited April 18
    They are definitely not at the expensive end, but I don't mind some discreet pattern on my work socks...just for some variety. But each pack, they come in 3s, seems to have 2 'normal' ones and one so (to me) hideously garish I would never wear it. Surely the people who want their socks to have intense patterns and colours would prefer to buy their socks in packs of 3s, and dull uninteresting types like me would like 3 subtle pairs.

Assorted biscuit (cookie for you Americans) packs. They seem to go for 5 well-loved varieties of biscuit, then throw in a 6th that no-one eats.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    I only buy plain black socks. No problems with pairing them after the wash, just pick two and go.
    And why are there 10 hot dogs in a package of hot dogs, but 12 buns in a package of hot dog buns?
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    And why are there 10 hot dogs in a package of hot dogs, but 12 buns in a package of hot dog buns?

The brands I buy have eight hot dogs and eight rolls to a package.

• balaambalaam Shipmate

Because convenience stores are run for the convenience of the shop owner, not the customer.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Moo wrote: »

The brands I buy have eight hot dogs and eight rolls to a package.
    Same here.

• SipechSipech Shipmate
    I find the layout of the big high street shops to be baffling. If I go to buy any clothes, mentionable or otherwise, they are usually grouped by brand, rather than clothes type.

For example, I might go to Debenhams to buy a t-shirt. Yet there is no t-shirt department. They'll have an area for this brand, the other brand or t'other designer, each of which has some t-shirts, but no one area where I can browse for what I'm after. Frankly, I don't care about what label it has on it. My concerns are more about whether it fits, does it suit me and is it affordable.
  • FredegundFredegund Shipmate
    But they are designed to encourage you to browse and impulse buy. Those of us who know what we are looking for are neither expected nor wanted. Hence the attraction of the supermarkets selling basic clothing - you can at least find it.
    Thinking about it, Miss Amanda, is this the answer to your unmentionable problem? Sainsbury's over here package basic white ones very clearly, and you don't have to be a size 6 (UK) to wear them.
    The telephone/calculator thing is baffling, though. You'd expect it to be hard-wired into the brains of the designers, but no.
    Fredegund wrote: »
    Miss Amanda, is this the answer to your unmentionable problem? Sainsbury's over here package basic white ones very clearly.
    Well, I'll know what to ask Secret Santa for.
  • Why are things you once could buy in single form now only come in multiples. I do not need 3 chap sticks for my lips, I will never use up the 4 rolls of mailing tape. No, I do not want a shampoo and matching conditioner set as I only use the shampoo. Of course I know they do this to sell more product but it is annoying.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Why are things you once could buy in single form now only come in multiples. I do not need 3 chap sticks for my lips, I will never use up the 4 rolls of mailing tape. No, I do not want a shampoo and matching conditioner set as I only use the shampoo. Of course I know they do this to sell more product but it is annoying.
    The Big Office Supply Store does this. What am I supposed to do with ten boxes of paper clips? The smallest number of glue sticks I can buy is six -- four or five of them will dry out before I get around to using them.

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate
    It is Mystery.

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Nah. Two are for the vegetarian. You did remember that two-pack of vegetarian hot dogs?
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    They figure maybe you'll burn a couple of hot dog buns, or mindlessly eat them while minding the grill/fire, or dogs/seagulls will partake.
    Re multi-packed products:

Probably because big-box stores (like Costco) that let you buy in bulk are popular. Plus it can be handy to have extras on hand, especially if you tend to run out of things at an odd hour--but really need them. (Like toilet paper.) 3 tubes of Chapstick? One for your nightstand; one for your purse, other bag, or pocket; and one in the medicine cabinet, in your emergency kit, in glove compartment in your car, in your desk at work, in your locker...

Some things, like paper clips and tape, will probably be used up eventually. You can also share what you don't need. A bottle of conditioner can be donated to a shelter, or kept at home for guests.

FWIW, YMMV.

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Desserts in three packs (when you’re a household of two). Burger buns in packs of four (how many burgers do they expect you to eat at one go? And no, putting two in the freezer to be forgotten about is not the answer).

In fact most multipacks seem configured for maximum waste (why might that be?)
  • Why are things you once could buy in single form now only come in multiples. I do not need 3 chap sticks for my lips, I will never use up the 4 rolls of mailing tape. No, I do not want a shampoo and matching conditioner set as I only use the shampoo. Of course I know they do this to sell more product but it is annoying.

Does my head in too! It’s a system that generates waste.
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    Caissa wrote: »
    I can only assume that the demographic being targeted for selling unmentionables online is different from the demographic you fall into.
    Well, I can only comment on my local area. but our local small department store knows its clientele well and white is easily available!! Not packs of cheapish ones but reasonably priced!
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    I've been frustrated by the lack of local access to a mobile phone that suits seniors. The only simple to use phone available here is a flip phone. Yes, some people are great at using a smart phone but a large proportion of the people I meet just want to be able to use their cell phone for phone calls - they don't want a camera or to go on the internet. Most don't even want to receive a text let alone try to figure out how to send one. What they really want is to hear the caller, hear the phone ring and be able to dial and answer without pressing the wrong buttons all the time.
    I can't tell you the number of times that I have been asked to "fix" a cell phone for someone when the volume has been turned down or it is in camera mode or whatever. When in a group setting, if I "fix" one often a bunch of others come out for me to deal with and I delete tons of photos, texts, etc., that have no relevance.
    These are all people who go to the local mall or service provider store to purchase these phones/plans. And don't get me wrong, most of these people have the money to purchase a nice phone and would give their eye teeth to have one that performs well. It just makes no sense to me that there isn't at least one senior-friendly or accessible phone available in the store.
  • churchgeekchurchgeek Shipmate
    balaam wrote: »
    I only buy plain black socks. No problems with pairing them after the wash, just pick two and go.

Me too! I have a few individual pairs, but for the most part, I buy a huge pack of all the same socks. Sports socks are easiest to find that way (even in my requisite black), but they're fine with the clogs I wear.
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    The only simple to use phone available here is a flip phone.
    Why is that a problem if they don't want all the features of a "smart" phone? I have a Jitterbug, which is designed for seniors. Easy to use, easy to see, large buttons. I carry mine in my purse, always turned off, and it's great if I have to make an emergency call.

• ZacchaeusZacchaeus Shipmate

The ones I buy have 8 hot dogs and 6 rolls......
    I don't believe I've ever seen a package of 12 hot dog buns. Around here it's 8.
    Me, neither. You might be able to get a pack of 12 or more at a restaurant-supply grocer, or a Costco club or some such.
    My HVAC unit requires two filters, so naturally they come in packages of three.
    My HVAC unit requires two filters, so naturally they come in packages of three.

I have two units, different sizes, so I need to buy six at a time!
  • The local supermarket sells hot dog buns in 12s or 6s.
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Lily Pad wrote: »
    The only simple to use phone available here is a flip phone.
    Why is that a problem if they don't want all the features of a "smart" phone? I have a Jitterbug, which is designed for seniors. Easy to use, easy to see, large buttons. I carry mine in my purse, always turned off, and it's great if I have to make an emergency call.

Because the flip phones don't have a loud enough ringer, you can't hear the other person loudly enough, the buttons are small and the print is small, they get set in camera mode and you can't call anyone unless you can see the fine print to know how to turn it off, and they can go on the internet without the user knowing incurring fees. We don't have the Jitterbug phone available here. You would have to buy the phone online and then register it to be used with a plan or buy minutes. That is beyond many. That's my issue. I can't understand why something like this isn't readily available in each of the five or six local outlets of the national companies that sell phones in our area.
  • The5thMaryThe5thMary Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Why are things you once could buy in single form now only come in multiples. I do not need 3 chap sticks for my lips, I will never use up the 4 rolls of mailing tape. No, I do not want a shampoo and matching conditioner set as I only use the shampoo. Of course I know they do this to sell more product but it is annoying.
    The Big Office Supply Store does this. What am I supposed to do with ten boxes of paper clips? The smallest number of glue sticks I can buy is six -- four or five of them will dry out before I get around to using them.

Well, if you were feeling charitable, schools can always use those extra glue sticks and other office supplies. I recently ordered some art supplies online last month and this month and got free sample packages of oil paints. I will never use oil paints. I am not the kind of artist to wait weeks for my paintings to dry. I found a store here in Tacoma, WA that donates extra art supplies to children and adults who could not otherwise afford them. I am donating the oils and some other extra supplies to the store.
    Who invented the leaf blower? In the old days we swept the sidewalk with a broom, gently so as not to raise dust. We raked the yard of leaves and put them in baskets.

Leaf blowers are noisy, give off exhaust fumes, and raise clouds of dust.
  • RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    Based on their efficiency, I think they were invented by one of those poor relief programmes where people were paid to dig holes and fill them in again ...
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    Actual dial phones had letters associated with each number and the first mobiles had the same for texting purposes. Therefore having 1 at the top of the number pad means that A is also at the top which is why that format was put in place for phones and no phone manufacturer wants to be the first to change to match computer keyboards.

I don't know why computers have 1 at the bottom or when this pattern was first started in relation to mobile phones coming out. I suppose the two layouts were conceived independently of each other so there was a 50-50 chance of them agreeing if it was a random selection.
  • The RogueThe Rogue Shipmate
    Who puts just one sausage in a hot dog?
  • DonLogan2DonLogan2 Shipmate
    We use mobile phones and computers and have done for a while now, yet new parking meters that you have to type your number plate into are alphabetical A-Z, pourquoi?
    I think the computer keyboard is based on electronic calculators which in turn were based on mechanical calculators, mechanical cash registers, etc. Which had the numbers increasing as you went up.
    Meanwhile . . . there are seven day to the week, but individual portion-size containers of juice for consuming at breakfast come in six-packs.

And eggs, of course, are sold by the dozen. Two eggs every morning at breakfast, and you go eggless one morning of the week.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    No juice or eggs on the Sabbath, miss Amanda.
    Having seven days in a week is the problem -- I blame Genesis.
    edited May 4
    A six-day week would be so much nicer. Four days of work and two days off. If God wanted to skimp on creation, I can think of a candidate or two he could have forgotten about.
    Don't blame Genesis. The seven-day week is based on the phases of the moon.
    Why am I reminded of Robert Frost:
    But I was going to say when Truth broke in
    With all her matter-of-fact . . .
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    Don't blame Genesis. The seven-day week is based on the phases of the moon.

That doesn't let God off the hook, she could have created it differently. :wink:
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Ha ha.

The French at one stage preferred a 10-day week...; a Twitter account I confess to following lets me indulge in some revolutionary ideals from the comfort of my 7-day week. The pictures are quite attractive.
    Meanwhile . . .

I recently wrote to the customer service division of a certain cinema chain, upon the advice of the manager of a cinema I attend often, complaining of a practice they recently instituted that I find disruptive of the theater-going experience.

I expected a response along the lines of: "We're sorry you found our innovation disruptive. Clearly it has had an opposite effect upon our patrons than the one we envisioned. We will certainly reconsider reverting things to how they previously were. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

But no . . . what I received instead was a passionate defense of the practice, outlining all its supposed "benefits" that I tried to make clear were not benefits at all, but rather annoyances.

Whatever happened to "The customer is always right?"
  • Why are electric sockets at floor level? Apparently in some countries they are at waist height, making it easier to plug in your appliances and preventing small people from sticking their fingers in them. This is so obviously superior I want to know why they don't do it everywhere.
  • Apparently avoiding trip hazards, unsightliness and the extra cost of cable to raise them up the walls