"That's not entertainment"

124»

Comments

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    “Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.”

G B Shaw
  • AthrawesAthrawes Shipmate
    If the ‘do unto others’ bit is “Always ask their opinion and respect it”, then the rule still works, @Simon Toad . It’s a matter of perspective.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Athrawes wrote: »
    If the ‘do unto others’ bit is “Always ask their opinion and respect it”, then the rule still works, @Simon Toad . It’s a matter of perspective.

Yes. If I like being squirted with a hose on a hot summer's day, that obviously still doesn't give me the right to go around squirting people with a hose without first finding out if they enjoy it as well.

With all due respect to Simon Toad, I find that support workers' critique of the Golden Rule somewhat...literalist? A definite lack of nuance, in any case.

But I do understand wanting to fight the tendency in the helping pfofessions to assume that everyone wants the same things in life. I just don't think the Golden Rule, properly understood, is really the culprit there.

• Athrawes wrote: »

Indeed. I wouldn't presume someone wants me to do to them as I would have them do unto me. Apart from a anything else, self-preservation says that would be a very bad idea indeed.

Specifically, I was applying DUOAYWHTDUY to judging others and limiting personal freedoms. If I don't want to be judged or have my freedoms limited I cannot seek to judge others and limit their freedoms.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    We are literal people, many of us support workers, and many of us don't have english as a first language. KISS works well, in support work and in life, but only as an acronym, or you will rightly be drummed out of the industry, if the system is working as intended.

How will you enforce that rule Colin, given that we are selfish and acquisitive creatures prone to emotional reactions, particularly when injured, afraid and otherwise under stress.

Plus, sometimes you really do have to pull people up. In my case, I hate it when people use the word 'retarded' as an insult, because I know many people with an intellectual impairment, and am close to a handful. I find it disrespectful. I hold my peace and hold my peace, and then at some point usually when there is something else going on I verbally hit someone over the head with a brick and lay about their prone body is an over-the-top tirade of hate and bile. Not really. I enjoy pythonesque exaggeration. If you are politically astute, you might sidle up to the user of the word and talk about 'some people' not appreciating the word, and 'you never know who might be listening' etc etc. Smart, but I tend to go with the suppressed rage approach.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    <snip>

How will you enforce that rule Colin, given that we are selfish and acquisitive creatures prone to emotional reactions, particularly when injured, afraid and otherwise under stress.

It can't be enforced. But I would hope that it is seen as an ideal people can aspire to.
    Plus, sometimes you really do have to pull people up. In my case, I hate it when people use the word 'retarded' as an insult, because I know many people with an intellectual impairment, and am close to a handful. I find it disrespectful. I hold my peace and hold my peace, and then at some point usually when there is something else going on I verbally hit someone over the head with a brick and lay about their prone body is an over-the-top tirade of hate and bile. Not really. I enjoy pythonesque exaggeration. If you are politically astute, you might sidle up to the user of the word and talk about 'some people' not appreciating the word, and 'you never know who might be listening' etc etc. Smart, but I tend to go with the suppressed rage approach.

I think it is fair to pull people up on their language, etcetera. I would hope someone would do that to me if I misjudged something.

That suppressed rage thing is probably part of English cultural DNA.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate

That suppressed rage thing is probably part of English cultural DNA.

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way."

(As, apparently, is ripping off American writers.)
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Well Colin, I think we are pretty much in agreement then, you prick. :trollface:
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    Well Colin, I think we are pretty much in agreement then, you prick. :trollface:

Oh dear. Agreement is a disaster for any discussion group. <3