In the news

ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
Chinese police officer fails breath test, supposedly after eating durian

The fruit that keeps on giving.

Any foodstuffs you think might be potent enough to put you over?

And any curious news that has caught your attention recently?

Comments

• My gran’s sherry triffle!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    A long-ripened Roquefort or Stinking Bishop able to move across the plate by itself.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Anything containing lots of poppy seeds.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Or even a few poppy seeds. People have been known to flunk drug tests for a simple lemon poppy-seed muffin which comes out as opioids. Oh, and watch those OTC cold remedies with pseudoephedrine, an ingredient in meth.
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    Oh dear! I didn't realize they tested for that. Well, that's me done the next time anybody tests... (sinus)
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Lyda wrote: »
    Or even a few poppy seeds. People have been known to flunk drug tests for a simple lemon poppy-seed muffin which comes out as opioids.

True. I've had this pointed out to me by my students, many of whom are in the methadone program for recovery from opioid addiction, when I've tried to bring poppyseed muffins or bagels to class. Ingesting poppyseeds could cause you to fail a mandatory drug test (I could quote exactly what one of my students told me, but it might be a bit crude for Heaven) so I try to avoid bringing in poppyseed-laden baked treats now!
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    [except for those you don't like...
    :naughty: ]

Truth is stranger than fiction.
  • Lyda wrote: »
    Oh, and watch those OTC cold remedies with pseudoephedrine, an ingredient in meth.

It's also the only thing that actually works. The alternative stuff with phenylephrine (the one that doesn't need all the hoopla with your id to purchase) is basically useless.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    The truth. Yes, eating poppy seeded bread can make you fail drug tests.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/bf2caf17-55e1-4708-87b6-e9cd3bf4321d
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Granola bars can also cause drug test fails and pizza can give false positives on a breath test, according to the above BBC article.

That's my menu for tomorrow sorted then.
    Ha ha.

In another news, and another "By God I love the French" moment...
    A farmer has enrolled 15 sheep at a French primary school to boost pupil numbers after authorities announced plans to close a class.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Brilliant!
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Gives "Mary Had a Little Lamb" new poignancy: "He followed her to school one day . . . ."
  • Farm animals have a healthy pedigree of political direct action in France; down our way in the South West the most popular way of getting protesting railway line closures is by José Bové and his farmers releasing their cows to wander all over the tracks. The night train to Rodez was preserved for ages using this strategy despite haemorrhaging money.
    Fascinating...merci, la vie en rouge.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Durian's the fruit that really stinks, yes?
    Thanks, and yikes!
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    I understand small communities in South Korea have taken to enrolling grandmothers in order to keep their schools open. The grandmas learn to read and get to spend time with their grandchildren--awesome idea.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    I love this idea, Lamb Chopped!
    Cool re grandmas. I understand there are US schools where the kids get really involved with folks at retirement homes. IIRC, there's one where the two groups are really integrated with each other during the school day.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    A friend of ours used to teach music to children in a nursery school called Acorns and Oak Trees, which was attached to an old people's home, and I understand that part of the children's time was spent interacting with the old people, to their mutual benefit.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I understand small communities in South Korea have taken to enrolling grandmothers in order to keep their schools open. The grandmas learn to read and get to spend time with their grandchildren--awesome idea.

That is brilliant.

Some years ago here the number of children on the school roll at a certain date in the year, and the number of pre-schoolers about to start school, determined the number of teachers who would be employed the following year. This was known by the wider community in a country area, so around that date they invited grandchildren who lived in different areas to come and visit and enrol in the school.

This was how I ended up teaching at that school with a very small class. I started with 9 and it grew to 21 - at that time all NZ children were eligible to start school on their 5th birthday.

The schools from which the children came were not adversely affected because a child could be enrolled at our school, but as their achievement record was still held at their original school they were still enrolled there.