Mornington Crescent - Return Ticket

Comments

• Piglet wrote: »

[tangent]
    I like the tale of a Shetlander filling in some official form or other which required him to state his nearest railway station, so he put "Bergen".
    [/tangent]

I can confirm that when I first sought an Oyster refund, the form wanted to know about your nearest tube station - however the refund was meant to be delivered.

It turns out that for Bootle, the answer (as well as my entirely legitimate move now) is Chesham.

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    You’ve really boxed yourself in, haven't you? I think your best option is to go to Rayners Lane and hope no one has got the white queen.
  • Tower Hill to castle which should protect against any lurking rooks.
    You’ve only gone and landed yourself in Knightsbridge (How often does it have to be said ‘Never cross a hedgehog until you know where the crow flies’)
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    (A stitch in time gathers no moss,) Knight to Heaven 17 brings the game to Strand.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    edited June 2019
    Well it’s all six of one and two in the bush

Shepherds Bush
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited June 2019
    Rottingdean (Brighton Seashore Railway) - this has to be seen to be believed! https://tinyurl.com/avhk22
    I know that poster well: there's one in a frame on the wall of the spare bedroom in D's sister's house (his b-i-l is a keen railway buff). :smile:

Did someone mention silver counters? I've got loads:

West Silvertown

eta: I've just realised I've committed the cardinal sin of Not Checking There's Another Page, but as it's the weekend, I think I might have got away with it. :blush:
    Well maybe, but going there from Shepherds Bush puts the whole GWR into spoon, and any lines running through Paddington or other GWR stations

Bexley Heath
  • Sing a song of sixpence (silver) to Peckham Rye
  • Ryde (St. John's Road).
  • To keep the gentility Arnside
    You want gentility? I'll give you gentility:

Frinton-on-Sea

Harwich for the Continent, Frinton for the incontinent :mrgreen:
    May as well nip up to Walton-on-the-Naze then.
  • So if you're over in that corner of Essex, you could go and visit Prittlewell, the site of the grave that's being called the British Tutankhamen
    edited June 2019
    Don’t you mean Hull Paragon Interchange :mrgreen:
  • Which is the interchange for both Beverley and other wonderful places. I was going to suggest going to Beverley Folk Festival which used to happen this next weekend, but it went bust last year. But there are lots of other things to do there.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Sounds like the folk festival reached the end of the line. Which surely means it is appropriate that we do a full turnaround upon reaching Brixton.
  • If you want end of the line, I'll give you end of the line: Lybster.
    Ooh, good - a quick overnight stop at the Brown Trout at Watton just up the road. Excellent breakfasts, and perfect for catching the ferry to Orkney. Unfortunately, Orkney doesn't have any railways, so a reverse shunt to Inverness is probably my best bet.
  • Ooh, so from Inverness, there's a trip Kyle of Lochalsh to view the other islands without railways.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    And so down to Kintyre with MacBrayne's, and Machrinhanish.

Mind you, your railway trip will be rather short ...
  • For convenience Ardrossan Harbour
  • And with a volley to Falmouth Docks
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    A double reverse then three-quarters speed to Fulham Broadway.
  • I'm lost now. does heading to Moorgate help anyone ?
  • Well, that's a quick route to somewhere that would win me the game, so I'll be nice and head to Elstree and Borehamwood which is easily reached from there (Circle to Farringdon, overground thereafter), where you can be part of the audience of TV shows after following a film trail through the town of Elstree.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    After all that glamour, one is much need of an antidote. So off to Luton Airport Parkway we go.
  • *sings* ooo-eeeee-ooooo

Prestwick International Airport

(the only railway station in Scotland directly connected to an airport0
  • Oops almost a loop we need to be careful on these big ones. So I am going to be careful and head Glasgow way, no not Queens Street, but Partick
  • Charing Cross (Glasgow)
    Hmmm ... that was quite bold, especially on a Tuesday ...

Carlisle
    Well on this particular Tuesday I am encouraged to invoke Hadrian’s flip…

Gorebridge
  • There can only be one possible response to that, ever since the Great Northern & City Line was taken into the National Rail System: Coombe Junction Halt.
  • Given the extra tokens available for obscurantist connections I am going to go with Shippea Hill
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    How very modern of you! They never used to play those kind of moves in my day.

Alperton
  • there's a fine line between being traditional, and "living in the past"

Carnforth
    For the sake of its lovely viaduct, onwards to

Arnside
  • I know I like Arnside too (I have a photo of the viaduct taken a couple of years ago as one of my background slides), but haven't we been there a few times recently? But if we really want to see viaducts, why not Ribblehead (which viaduct also features in my backgrounds)?
  • I think we need to remember that we're supposed to be on the Underground. Severn Tunnel Junction is at least a nod in that direction.
  • Well not to put too fine a point on it, how about Govan
  • Ah, but can you produce that unique Glasgow Subway smell (sadly lacking at the Riverside Museum)?

Oktogon (Budapest - just to rub salt into last night's Welsh wounds).
    I'm assuming you've taken a wrong turning there, BT, and strayed into another thread - footie, perhaps, or maybe World Cup tiddlywinks?

However, being a very Sensible and Grounded Piglet (with a strangely augmented horde of blue chips), I'll get us back on track (see what I did there?):

Chelsea
  • There's no tube station at Chelsea, it's Fulham Broadway or Sloane Square, which did you mean?
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    There was a Chelsea Station, before it was renamed Chelsea and Fulham.

Seeing we are playing a historic game, Shoreditch.
    Well, if you’re going to do that

Brompton Road
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    Going for the Alpha Course, are we BroJames?
    Let's avoid any elliptical penalty points by going to Turkey Street.
  • Resisting the urge to jump to the trainless Goose Green It's a long way to the Falklands anyway), why not make your first visit to Meridian Water?
  • I think you get bonus chips for being the first ever to a station. So let's go to the old, Paddington
  • well, this bear of very little brain is struggling to keep up.
    St John's Wood