Mornington Crescent - Return Ticket

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Oh dear - I have a feeling that my cross-post with Jengie might have put quite a large chunk of the country into Spoon.

Oops. :blush:

Only one thing for it - a reverse flip with 2½ twists to

Olympia
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    No. The country appears to be still in spoon. Off to Alexandre Dumas.
  • Hang on - you've got the wrong Olympia, This is the one you want, perfectly acceptable: https://tinyurl.com/y57x287c
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    or how about Olympia Zentrum at one end of Munich's U8 line
  • I seem to have opened a veritable can of worms. We'd better play safe at Buckhurst Hill.
  • If your definition of safe is being dumped in a wasteland of suburbia, then I guess so. Let's make life a bit more exciting with Stonebridge Park on the overground and visit the Ace Café
  • Or get run down on the North Circular .... by which we will proceed to Hanger Lane.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host, 8th Day Host
    Living dangerously are we? I conclude from that move that you are sitting on a giant stack of yellow chips. Unless you’re bluffing of course.

Anyway, given that you can’t play them on the Circle line except on days with a ‘R’ in, Monument.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    aha - I lulled you all into my trap.
    It worked

Morningto....

oh wait

today's only Wednesday, not Thursday. I have peaked too soon
    With tail firmly between legs I will shuffle sadly along to Oxford Circus
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Cashing in my white chips means I can play Heathrow Terminal 4.

Remember it's in a loop.
    As long as I don't have to fly in to Terminal 2, where, at the end of an overnight flight, you have to walk about a mile before you even reach Passport Control, I don't care.

Osterley
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    If it's passports you're worried about, then I would propose a visit to Newport; just not on a day that had a 'y' in it.
  • And change to go to Abergavenny
  • There's only one thing for it: Kirkmichael, but you'll have to get to Fleetwood in time to catch the steamer.
    Oh, excellent - we've reached the Isle of Man, one of my favourite places, so we can go to Howarth's, one of my favourite restaurants:

Douglas
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited May 2019
    Talking of islands ,,, Sheerness-on-Sea (from which you can see D's home county).

I hope I didn't rush your nice meal.
    Not at all - it was about 20 years ago; the restaurant was in Ballasalla in those days, but it appears to have moved.

Talking of food, there's a lovely Côte restaurant at Hay's Galleria right on the river bank, for which we'll need to get off at

London Bridge

Dammit, now I want to go and eat there ...
  • You might get a bit confused since the station's recent rebuilding (which it very badly needed!)

More remotely (and, sadly, historically), Dunford Bridge.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Fond memories of cycling the Trans Pennine Trail there, which brings me to the still open Elsecar.
  • Hmm, black chip and move via the coal transposition to Ashland (Kentucky), also still open.
    Oh dear - I seem to have got into another transatlantic siding, in which case

Avondale
  • And a very good choice, I must say!
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Across to Pacific Central Station.
    And I pick up a red chip bonus on the way :)
  • Net SpinsterNet Spinster Shipmate
    edited June 2019
    Let's see if I can square things. Menlo Park which btw is the oldest passenger station building in California
    I hate to tell you this, NS, but on the first Sunday* in a month without an "r" in it, that's put us in a loop:

D*ll*s H*ll

* As I type this, it's still Sunday here. :wink:
  • @piglet I can't do my next move yet, but, I do admire your Avondale move (personally I was wondering whether any of my relatives had been through it (I have ancestors from NL [and also NB and NS] though my branches moved back to England in the late 1800s [other branches stayed])
  • Willesden Green. It's Monday.
    What sort of excuse is that???

As the State Visit has put the entire South East into Nidd, I think the wisest move would be westward:

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

I'd like to see Agent Orange trying to put that into a tweet ... :naughty:

[tangent]
    If Llanfair etc's anywhere near you, BT, can you put the kettle on? :smiley:
    [/tangent]
  • I think people are still looking for the kettle. Let's go to the other extreme Ib It also gives me a couple of black chips
    If your chips are black, you've probably cooked them for too long. But I digress. If I can gather a few more green counters, I should have enough to get us to

Dublin Connolly
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Which allows me to invoke the Napper Tandy Vertical and take us to Part-Dieu, Lyon.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    What sort of excuse is that???

As the State Visit has put the entire South East into Nidd, I think the wisest move would be westward:

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

I'd like to see Agent Orange trying to put that into a tweet ... :naughty:

[tangent]
    If Llanfair etc's anywhere near you, BT, can you put the kettle on? :smiley:
    [/tangent]

Alas, it's the other end of the country, and even the best train takes over four hours to get there! I'd much prefer to go to Heath (High Level).
  • well, you take the High Level, and I'll take us to
    Glasgow Queen Street, Low Level
    edited June 2019
    Sadly, I don't think there's a station called "Basement" .....
  • But the lowest tube station in London is Hampstead - really take the lift not the stairs there.
    The last time I took a lift from a Tube station I got my wallet nicked, at

Covent Garden.

:cry:
    edited June 2019
    Piglet wrote: »
    The last time I took a lift from a Tube station I got my wallet nicked, at

Covent Garden.

:cry:

Sorry to hear that, I guess it's quite a hotspot for that kind of thing. You should've gone to Ruislip Gardens - beloved of John Betjeman: https://tinyurl.com/y4jbpd7q.

(PS Allegedly he first wrote "Piccadilly" rather than "red electric" train ... until someone pointed out that Ruislip Gardens isn't on the Piccadilly Line!)

• balaambalaam Shipmate
    Seeing as I am out of white chips, I'll have to resort to a Yurchenko vault with with prefight twist to get to Kew Gardens.
  • I pass Balaam a white chip and complete the vault with a Sussex slide and do Sheffield Park
  • Holborn

it's a boring move, but what do you expect from me at this time of day, before my first cuppa ?
  • Clearly, you have to start the day at ...

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

I'm already on to my third cup of coffee, by the way ... which probably means I'm well on the way to Barking.
  • dagnabbit

flipping my black tokens back over to their "active" sides for this new round, I will move to Warwick Avenue
    Well played, BT, and thanks for the John Betjeman - love his poetry!

Now, back to business ...

As I presume we've all had our counters replenished, I think a well-executed Scandi flick should get us to

Bergen

[tangent]
    I like the tale of a Shetlander filling in some official form or other which required him to state his nearest railway station, so he put "Bergen".
    [/tangent]
  • Rotterdam.

[I told the story above to my daughter, who said when we were in Kirkwall a couple of years ago, Google gave her the quickest route home as plane to Bergen, train to Rotterdam, ferry to Hull, train to Huddersfield. Sadly she didn't have her passport with her and a paid for return tickets from Stromness to Scrabster, Thurso to Inverness and Inverness to Crewe (although she didn't take the last leg of that)]
  • Rottingdean (Brighton Seashore Railway) - this has to be seen to be believed! https://tinyurl.com/avhk22
  • Crawley

(I've seen the Brighton Seashore Railway, I've walked alongside down the beach off season. It's quite something)
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    This could be a short round,
    Mor...

Fooled you, Morden.
  • And, of course, if you travelled via Bank you didn't even pass through A Certain Other Station!
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    And, of course, if you travelled via Bank you didn't even pass through A Certain Other Station!
    Not if there are engineering works.

Heading on a diversion via Southfields.

• Ickenham

*takes 2 more silver tokens and swaps 3 blue ones for a green*