Royal Baby

BoogieBoogie Shipmate
Guesses on the name.

I’m guessing Albert.

Comments

• I'm guessing not Albert :wink: Perhaps Francis as a middle name, as a nod to Diana, Princess of Wales.

How about Harrison :naughty:
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    I was pondering that. The Duke & Duchess' new little Duckling can have a string of names, of course. I think he will be principally named after his Grandfather: Charles.

A few names can be ruled out. There is No Chance he will be named "Donald." To be fair, it would also be an extreme long shot for him to be named "Barach" (although ever so slightly better odds that there will be a "Barry" in his string of names).

I agree that Albert will be in the name-chain somewhere. As the Duchess doesn't seem to be on all that great of terms with her own father, "Thomas" has to be considered a bit of a long shot (Thomas is her father's name, right?). However, there may be a nod to her maiden name by calling him "Mark"?

• Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    Flypaper Beefcake Codswallop Jr. III
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Prince Harry is said to be very close to his grandfather (one of the reasons for the timing and location of their wedding). So my guess is Philip.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Philip Charles Henry (or a combination thereof)?
    Matthew Mark Luke John. Of Sussex. :grin:
  • ZacchaeusZacchaeus Shipmate
    Phillip is also one of Charles middle names, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there somewhere
  • McMaverickMcMaverick Shipmate
    Am guessing that Meghan’s dad’s name won’t be included.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    Arthur Philip. Arthur is a traditional royal name not used for about 500 years and needs reviving.
    Hezekiah’s a nice royal name too (my sons have the names of an Old Testament priest and a prophet and I’ve always fancied having a king to make the matching set).
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Arthur Philip. Arthur is a traditional royal name not used for about 500 years and needs reviving.
    The Prince of Wales’ name is Charles Philip Arthur George.

• anoesisanoesis Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    The Prince of Wales’ name is Charles Philip Arthur George.

But it's William who has 'Arthur Philip'* crammed into his name-chain, not Harry.

*And for some reason they went for 'Louis' instead.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    edited May 7
    And for some reason they went for 'Louis' instead.

After Louis Mountbattan, of course.

As for the baby, I'm another vote for Arthur.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    IIRC Victoria had a son named Arthur.
    She did, and George VI (the Queen's father) had Arthur among his names.

Going further back in history, the name didn't quite deliver the good fortune its users might have intended: the grandson of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, Arthur of Brittany (who would have been the heir of Richard I) conveniently disappeared when his uncle, King John, took the throne in 1399.

After defeating Richard III at Bosworth, Henry VII named his first son Arthur, apparently in a bid to lend some legitimacy to his claim to the throne. It didn't do him any good: Arthur died in 1502, aged 15, which left the way open for his younger brother, who would eventually become Henry VIII.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    I guessed "Louis" last time !!
    This time: "Edward" would be pushing everyone's luck (not to mention buttons)
    Arthur - well the last "Arthur" I met was a German Shepherd dog so that's that. Highly favoured in the bookies' odds though.
    Outsiders: something spring-bird-y and androgynous like "Robin". (Certainly not "Great Tit" or "Blue Tit"). Or Frederick to be known as Freddie or Fred
    More likely: Charles or Philip or John (which is less common in USA and has panache and cachet there, I believe)
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    Didn’t realise Arthur was around so much, I knew it featured as a middle name. It was Henry VIII’s older brother I was thinking of. My teenage son has a friend called Arthur.
    Frederick is a good call, I think.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I know a baby Arthur - my son’s nephew :)
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Isn’t it about time at least one name was picked that hasn’t been used before ? Perhaps reflecting some of the heritage of Meghan’s side of the family.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Which one, 'Chuck', 'Randy', 'Dwight' or a place name, 'Leicester' or 'Kent' perhaps?
  • EirenistEirenist Shipmate
    Wayne? or Kevin, perhaps?
    Or Boris Jeremy Nigel might cover all eventualities.
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    Philip Albert Christian:

Philip for his great-grandfather; Albert for everyreason, not least that HMQ's father was Albert (and always known as Bertie); and Christian because it is a name that hasn't been used for over a century (Edward VIII) and maybe could do with another airing.

They'll have been presented with a list of suitable names prior to the birth, and HMQ retains the right to veto anything deemed inappropriate.
    Not Vladimir Donald Kim, then?
  • BelisariusBelisarius Admin Emeritus
    edited May 7
    Princey McPrinceface
  • Sparkly McSparklyface?
    :wink:

(Seriously, and I know this is Heaven, but who cares? Apart from the proud Mama and Papa, of course, and the 'popular' press...).
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Hedgehog wrote: »
    I was pondering that. The Duke & Duchess' new little Duckling can have a string of names, of course. I think he will be principally named after his Grandfather: Charles.

I think he will be principally named after his Grandfather: James.
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    I would choose Richard James Philip. It is a long time since there was a Richard and also recalls Mountbatten.
    One of the British newspapers suggested Brian (after one of the page-boy-attendant- whatevers at The Wedding).
    Obviously neither the reporter nor any of the editing staff are Private Eye readers!
    rhubarb wrote: »
    I would choose Richard James Philip. It is a long time since there was a Richard and also recalls Mountbatten.
    The current Duke of Gloucester is Richard.

James? Might be thought unfortunate since it could refer back to James II (forced from the throne) and James Stuart "The Old Pretender".

? Recalls Mountbatten? Do you mean Great-Grandfather Philip? He only took the name Mountbatten (which was his mother's surname prior to marriage) in 1947; prior to that he was Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
    ... Of course, since the father is nominally Prince Henry of Wales they could always throw tradition, and caution, to the winds and choose names more usually found West of Offa's Dyke. What about Dafydd Teilo Asaph?
    At least the Wicked Fairy has not so far tweeted. Maybe he is waiting to see if he is invited to the Christening . . . or he's too busy sticking it to the Chinese . . . or the Iranians . . . or Venezuelans . . .or whatever . . .
    edited May 7
    Lenny Jeanette Michael Whistleblower A Mars A Day Sockpuppet

Actually, they could probably make some dosh if they are prepared to use a product name or slogan. The lad might need the money when he gets cut from the list of state-sponsored Royals.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 7
    Now, now - don't be silly (though at least he probably won't be required to fill in lots of Official Forms, which never have enough space for names like L. J. M. W. A. M. A. D. Sockpuppet).

@Simon Toad , are you sure your meds aren't out-of-date?
    :wink:

I rather like the idea of a German name in there somewhere, to recognise his paternal family's usurpation of the throne, but with something American as well, to recognise Markle the Sparkle's origins...

...mind you, isn't Meg(h)an almost a Welsh name, anyway?
    I'm travelling BF, so maybe I'm a bit out of kilter :tongue:

I'm a monarchist for Australia, but I just can't help cracking jokes at this stuff.
    Eirenist wrote: »
    At least the Wicked Fairy has not so far tweeted. Maybe he is waiting to see if he is invited to the Christening . . . or he's too busy sticking it to the Chinese . . . or the Iranians . . . or Venezuelans . . .or whatever . . .

No, he's chatting with his BBF Putin about the Russian hoax.
    :worried:
  • LolaLola Shipmate
    I was also going to guess Phillip but I see I have been beaten to this by many posters!

? Recalls Mountbatten? Do you mean Great-Grandfather Philip? He only took the name Mountbatten (which was his mother's surname prior to marriage) in 1947; prior to that he was Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

No - Lord Louis Mountbatten, First Earl of Burma, last Viceroy of India , etc etc who was assassinated (along with some others) by a bomb placed in his yacht off the coast of Ireland in 1979. His family nickname was "Dickie". He and Prince Charles were very close

Enoch wrote: »
    Which one, 'Chuck', 'Randy', 'Dwight' or a place name, 'Leicester' or 'Kent' perhaps?
    "Kent of Sussex" does have a nice ring to it!
    ... "Kent of Sussex" does have a nice ring to it!
    No - that sounds like a cricket score.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    After reading a tweet by the Daily Express that the couple has chosen an "unusual name . . . that unifies the US and UK", Josh Gondelman concludes that the new baby's name is "Fuck Off, Piers Morgan".
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    One name that has been mentioned as merging his descent and American heritage, is Spencer.
    Crœsos wrote: »
    After reading a tweet by the Daily Express that the couple has chosen an "unusual name . . . that unifies the US and UK", ...

They are naming him John Uncle Bull Sam :grey_question: :grey_question:

• DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Samuel perhaps ?
  • Crœsos wrote: »
    "unusual name . . . that unifies the US and UK",

Well, little baby Usuk, it's an unusual name, but I suppose it describes one of the things you do a lot...
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    "Kent of Sussex" does have a nice ring to it!

Clark Kent of Sussex?
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Clark Kent of Sussex?

I rather feel I have to remind everyone that unless HMQ makes some changes, this baby
    will not be "of Sussex" at all. He'll be plain Randall Mountbatten-Windsor, Earl of Dumbarton. Although he may well be Randy Sussex at school.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    If we're going to re-unite the anglophone rebels with the mother ship, it's best to mark the occasion with a new naming system that reflects both the Duke-to-be's parentage and lineage. I propose Albert Rachel-John Philip-Victoria Mountbatten-Markle. Call him Mickey for short.
  • Mountbatten-Markle is a great name.
    Mountbatten-Markle is a great name.

"Monty" for short.
  • Net SpinsterNet Spinster Shipmate
    Frederick might be a good choice. It has been in the royal family and it is also recalls Frederick Douglass, the abolitionist.