Whom shall we send? The vocations thread

LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
edited February 2018 in All Saints
Not just for ordination but all types of vocation.

Comments

• Just a hello and a catch up since I last was on ship of fools. I'm now a seminarian for the Catholic Church, and just reaching the half way through my formation.
  • Welcome back, Max - I'm sure many of us will remember you in one or other of your many past manifestations!

Best wishes etc. for the rest of your training.

IJ
  • StephenStephen Shipmate
    Welcome back, Max - I'm sure many of us will remember you in one or other of your many past manifestations!

Best wishes etc. for the rest of your training.

IJ

Indeed! Welcome back Max - nice to see you again......
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Don't they grow fast!
  • Yes - we'll have to call him Father Max before too long...!
    :open_mouth:

Should we start praying now for his first parish?
    :innocent:

IJ
  • angloidangloid Shipmate
    Welcome back Max! Looking forward to keeping in touch with your progress and your eventual ordination.
  • Yes indeed - worth an MW Report in due course, I think, no?
    :naughty:

IJ
  • Yes - we'll have to call him Father Max before too long...!
    :open_mouth:

Should we start praying now for his first parish?
    :innocent:

IJ

Now come on, you of all people know that I'm gonna be a "call me Max." kind of priest!

I might even wear a shirt and tie, rather than clericals! ;) Who knows?

Max.
  • No clericals? No maniple?

Is Outrage!!

IJ
  • I never said anything about a maniple... You're putting words into my mouth!

Max.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host
    If this conversation carries on in such a vein, we'll have to pack you all off to Eccles. :grin:
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Yes indeed - worth an MW Report in due course, I think, no?
    :naughty:

IJ

As I am likely to be nearest, maybe I'll start my protection money now.
  • :lol:

(Found the Lots of Laughter smiley, I think)

IJ
  • On a more serious note, Our Place keeps in touch with several ordinands-in-training, both through personal contact, and through having one or two on placement from time to time.

We do try to remember them in our prayers at Mass, especially at or around their time of ordination, which helps to remind us that our little congregation is just a part of a much larger enterprise!

IJ
    Indeed. Today I'm remembering in my prayers our friend (and D's former head chorister) Fr. P., who, after serving for several years in England, commences a new ministry in the Church of Ireland next week.
  • Great that this thread has been moved over to the new boards.

Now coming to the end of term two out of nine (!) at Westcott House.

God bless you all.

(iamchristianhearmeroar as was - username too long for new board!)
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    edited March 2018
    Nazianzus, I am glad you are happy to see thread moved over. Some threads were moved so there was something familiar when you all opened the New Ship. However, and this is a a gentle reminder to all, please start a thread if your favourite has been left behind. Use the same title if you wish or start a new thread on any AS idea. The board is open to all Shipmates to contribute on old or new threads.

Lothlorien, AS Host
  • Hello! I was on the old boards and only discovered today that you've all moved over. Hello!
    good evening to you, Nanny Plum. Glad you too moved over.
    Hello Nanny Plum and welcome aboard! :)
  • angloidangloid Shipmate
    Now come on, you of all people know that I'm gonna be a "call me Max." kind of priest!

Max.

Tie?? Bit formal innit?

• Well, as long as the shirt is of the Correct Liturgical Colour, we can perhaps let him off the tie....

:grin:

IJ
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    And even permit sandals provided he wears black socks.
    A late Bishop of my acquaintance (of blessèd memory) used to wear purple socks with his sandals in the summer.

At least they matched his shirt ... :grin:
    I remember Duo Seraphim and Multipara sang in a choir down here whose director was known as Madame. The choir gave him a set of underwear one year for his birthday. Liturgical colours of course.
    Leo wrote: »
    Yes indeed - worth an MW Report in due course, I think, no? IJ

Max, I will personally come to England to MW your ordination. It will be a pleasure to meet Leo and co-MW with him. Keep me informed.
  • Leo wrote: »

Max, I will personally come to England to MW your ordination. It will be a pleasure to meet Leo and co-MW with him. Keep me informed.
    3+ Years Time God willing.
    They might kick me out before then though! :wink:

Max.
  • Would "they" be the tutors of your seminary, the admins here, or both?
  • Would "they" be the tutors of your seminary, the admins here, or both?

God knows.

Max.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Leo wrote: »

3+ Years Time God willing.
    They might kick me out before then though! :wink:

Max.

I hereby challenge you to think up something so heinous!
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    angloid wrote: »

Max.

Tie?? Bit formal innit?

Impersonating a lay person should be a ciminal offence since impersonating a clerk in holy orders is.
    There's a story told of a senior clergyman who was stopped in his car along with a colleague by the police and when the policeman asked for their names, he said, "I'm the Dean of Such-and-such and this is my colleague Rev. So-and-so". The policeman seemed unwilling to believe him, and replied, "It's my belief you're impersonating a clergyman". Our hero replied, "Impersonating a clergyman? Bugger me, I've been doing that for the last 25 years!"
  • Here you are, Max, don't bother with Seven Hills, your very own Communion wine :innocent:
  • (Draft) BAP paperwork done! It’s been a long journey to get to this stage. Some revisions no doubt and then I hope submitting it in time for a June BAP. All a bit late so I hope I don’t have to wait another year... exciting though to have finally got to this point after three years!
    All the best to you NannyPlum.
  • Indeed.

You've reminded me that a Good Friend, who was very helpful to me in my recent illness, is proceeding on her course towards ordination (she has excellent pastoral skills, as I know from experience!).

I must enquire as to how it's going, and what the reaction was to her First Sermon a week or two ago....she was, shall we say
    :fearful:

IJ
  • Today I received information that I have been accepted to receive the ministries of Reader and Acolyte on the 29th June as part of our seminary daily mass.
    They are two important steps on my journey towards the priesthood.
  • Good to hear - best wishes!

Mind you, these roles won't be entirely unfamiliar to you, given your Previous Life in the C of E, no?

That remark in no way denigrates the importance of this step in your Present Life.

IJ
    I have been accepted to receive the ministries of Reader and Acolyte
    You'll look great tonsured.
    Congratulations, Max!
  • Good to hear - best wishes!

Mind you, these roles won't be entirely unfamiliar to you, given your Previous Life in the C of E, no?

That remark in no way denigrates the importance of this step in your Present Life.

IJ

I've been a Reader and Eucharistic Minister since I became a Catholic in 2006 (it's been that long!)
    The ministries is basically a legitimising of the roles I've been doing... basically I'll no longer be an extraordinary minister, but an ordinary minister*

*This is a massive simplification

Max.
  • Yes, I think the roles you mention are perhaps more 'formal' in the RCC than similar roles in the C of E.

But I'm sure other Shipmates will agree that you are most unlikely to be an 'ordinary' minister (or deacon, or priest, for that matter).

That was a Compliment, BTW.

IJ
    This is a massive simplification

As is all life. But I digress.
  • Indeed it is.

But I beg to think that Miss Amanda agrees with Me regarding our Dear Friend.

IJ
  • But I'm sure other Shipmates will agree that you are most unlikely to be an 'ordinary' minister (or deacon, or priest, for that matter).

That was a Compliment, BTW.

IJ

Thank you, but John 3:30 needs to be motto for discipleship and ministry.

Max.
  • Just so.

IJ
    I beg to think that Miss Amanda agrees with Me regarding our Dear Friend.

Indeed. Max, you know I've always been a fan, even after you once threatened to murder me (do you remember?). You may recall I made a novena for you when you were on the threshold of converting to RC. I was elated at the news that you might be coming to Phoenix to spend a summer (that never happened, alas). I wish you all the very best on your journey toward Holy Orders.
  • Prayers for both of you, nanny plum and Max. None of this is easy, but then you knew that before you started, and it won't get any easier......only different.
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    God bless everyone who is en route in God's service. My role on the Transition committee for the election of the new Bishop here in Europe has been put on hold due to my illness, but it appears I have been delegated onto the Shopping sub- committee. That is, buying the gifts for the Bishop-elect, ready for the consecration. As the election is not until October, I should be up and about by then.
    Please pray for the selection committee members who have 30+ applications to trawl through.