Want to know what it is like to be picked up by ICE (US)

Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
Reverend Betty Rendón is a part-time pastor at Emaus Lutheran Church in Racine, Wisconsin. Last Wednesday morning,

Pastor Rendón’s daughter was driving her five-year-old to school from their home in Chicago. She was not two minutes from the house when she was stopped by ICE officers who admitted they were looking specifically for her. The officers arrested and handcuffed her, despite her protests that she is legally protected by DACA and should not be a target for ICE.

The agents took the wheel of the car and drove them back to the house, where Pastor Rendón’s husband, Carlos, was leaving home for work. The agents shouted at him in English, which he does not speak well, shook him violently, and shoved him towards the car. They ordered him to open the door of the house.

Once the door was open, they forced their way in. A group of ICE vehicles with numerous officers then converged on the house and poured inside, brandishing their weapons and pointing them at the family.

Pastor Rendón was still in her pajamas. They did not allow her to get dressed, but handcuffed her as she was. Her granddaughter screamed and cried while the officers searched until they found their houseguest, a cousin, who had fled into the basement to hide. They handcuffed him as well.

Having arrested all of the adults in the home, the officers allowed Pastor Rendón to phone the child’s other grandparents so that they could come collect her. While doing that, she managed to send a short text to the church to inform us that she would likely not be able to preach on Sunday.

Pastor Rendón was particularly struck by the celebratory tone of the officers. They were jubilant because they had managed to arrest so many people in a single raid.

Pastor Rendón’s daughter was eventually released from custody and allowed to reunite with her daughter because, in fact, there was no legitimate reason to have arrested her in the first place.The other three family members were taken to the downtown facility in Kenosha, where they were strip-searched and processed.

When they left, the ICE officers failed to secure the door, which allowed robbers subsequently to enter the home, ransack it, and steal all items of any value. A neighbor called the police, and there is a police report documenting the robbery.

The family came to the United States originally because Pastor Rendón was once the director of a school in Colombia during the war. The guerrillas attacked her school, assaulting several of her teachers. She applied for asylum in the US, but was eventually denied due to the lack of a police report, although she says everyone in the area knew of the attack. Once her appeals were exhausted, she was issued an order of deportation, but it was never executed.

We are at a loss to explain why ICE should have decided to execute it now, just as Pastor Rendón is beginning her doctoral studies in preaching at the LSTC in Chicago

Comments

• RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    That is horrible. When things like this occur, I just don't recognize my country.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    That sort of event is disgraceful. But behaviour like that is not limited to the US; it seems to go with working as an immigration officer any place I know.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Can someone explain the acronym ICE?
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    What does ICE stand for please?

From the description, they're obviously some sort of thuggish arm of the state but which one and supposed to do what?
  • Fawkes CatFawkes Cat Shipmate
    Wikipedia suggests Immigration and Customs Enforcement
  • GarasuGarasu Shipmate
    While we're about it, DACA is 'deferred action on childhood arrivals'?
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: law enforcement as a profession attracts bullies who want to practice their bullying under protection of the law. It would seem that immigration enforcement also attracts ultra-right-wing nut cases who want to practice their disgusting prejudices under color of law.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    :cry:
  • SirPalomidesSirPalomides Shipmate
    edited May 15
    Saw this news posted on an ELCA group on facebook… of course the first question a few people asked was, "Is she illegal?" In case anyone was wondering how much of a diseased and irredeemable pus pocket the USA is.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    Once her appeals were exhausted, she was issued an order of deportation, but it was never executed.

We are at a loss to explain why ICE should have decided to execute it now, . . .

I'm going to go with "because the current administration* has made ethnic cleansing under cover of law a high priority".
  • amyboamybo Shipmate
    I'm so very sorry for you pastor's family and your congregation.

Yep, ICE=Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They're a federal agency in the US, and are getting closer and closer to being brown shirts with each action.Pure evil.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Isn't this what could have happened to one of Trump's previous wives (and her mother) following her less-than-perfectly-documented entry to the USA?
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    When things like this occur, I just don't recognize my country.

I do. People have been dealing with this kind of shit forever in this country. Just not people like you and me.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 15
    Wasn't there once a song about 'The Land Of The Free', referring to Puspocket Trumperica the USA?
    :flushed:

Not much comfort to those currently experiencing the nascent Nazi-ism across the Pond, but I am reminded of the wise saying 'This, too, will pass'.

Evil Orange Tyrants, their minions, and their myrmidons, will all, at some time, DIE.
  • cliffdwellercliffdweller Shipmate
    I've been working with asylum seekers in the LA area for the last 2 years, this is very much what we're seeing across the board. And what's different about ICE is the "glee" described in the article. All law-enforcement officers are going to have to do nasty things at times, including arresting parents in front of their kids. What's different now is the glee. The apparent delight in doing so in the most cruel ways possible, with the clear and in some cases explicit intent of making it as traumatic for children as possible. We saw this within a few weeks of Trump's inauguration with the clumsy roll-out of the Muslim ban: it was poorly thought out and implemented hastily and doomed from day 1 to be overturned by the courts. The intent of this and so many other early directives appears not to be banning Muslims so much as determining which elements of the fed would be loyal to POTUS even when given inhumane and/or unconstitutional orders. ICE passed with flying colors. The most distinctive and disturbing characteristics of this administration are: 1. complete disregard for the rule of law. 2. casual cruelty.
  • Make America Great Again? for who exactly?
    It's really sad to see this descent back to the gutter.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Wasn't there once a song about 'The Land Of The Free', referring to Puspocket Trumperica the USA?
    :flushed:

Yeah. It was written by a slaveholder and a staunch anti-abolitionist. As @Ruth points out, "free" has often had a very limited range in the Land of the Free.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: law enforcement as a profession attracts bullies who want to practice their bullying under protection of the law. It would seem that immigration enforcement also attracts ultra-right-wing nut cases who want to practice their disgusting prejudices under color of law.

If my experience teaching composition to aspiring cops is anything to go by, this is spot-on. The vast majority of the students I've had to drop or expel from my classes for unacceptable behavior have been in my college's Criminal Justice program.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Aargh: forgot to add: many instructors where I teach complain about this. The CJ dept. head shrugs and says, "What can we do? We're basically an open admission school." To which I say, "You could FLUNK them YOURSELVES instead of relying on English, math, and science faculty to do it FOR you!" It enrages me that the CJ faculty put this all on us.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    This is the same sort of government behaviour as is designed to play well to the UK's typical Brexit voter. It sounds very like our Hostile Environment Policy and Windrush Scandal.

I've no doubt that those Shipmates who have suggested that there's a certain sort of jumped up nasty who relishes the opportunity to pursue a career where you're given free range to bully people even less fortunate than yourself, and indeed are more likely to be promoted if you reveal no evidence of humanity or fellow feeling for your victims.
  • RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    Enoch wrote: »
    This is the same sort of government behaviour as is designed to play well to the UK's typical Brexit voter. It sounds very like our Hostile Environment Policy and Windrush Scandal.

Indeed. The more I read about British immigration enforcement, the more convinced I am that the only real difference between Trump's xenophobia and Theresa May's is that Trump at least doesn't attempt to hide what he is.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate

My old dad used to say that in his experience, most people who joined the police would otherwise have been wanted by them.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    DACA means Deferred Action for Child Arrivals. It was started by Obama because there where a large group of unaccompanied children coming into the US. Rather than sending them back to an uncertain future, the thought was we would wait to process them until when the situation from their countries would stablelize
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Ruth wrote: »
    I do. People have been dealing with this kind of shit forever in this country. Just not people like you and me.
    You're right; I do recognize it. I just cling to an earlier, more idealistic vision of it. It's past time I got over that.

• sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Ricardus wrote: »

Indeed. The more I read about British immigration enforcement, the more convinced I am that the only real difference between Trump's xenophobia and Theresa May's is that Trump at least doesn't attempt to hide what he is.

Theresa May can't disguise her racism either. She was Home Secretary for six years and you can't do that job for long without falling into line with the prevailing "Send them" Home Office policy. Most of the Windrush errors were made on her watch.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited May 17
    DACA means Deferred Action for Child Arrivals. It was started by Obama because there where a large group of unaccompanied children coming into the US. Rather than sending them back to an uncertain future, the thought was we would wait to process them until when the situation from their countries would stablelize

Well, that at least shows a degree of compassion and common-sense, which one might expect from Mr. Obama...qualities sadly lacking, one feels, in the current incumbent.

Mind you, Hitler liked little kiddies, and doggies, didn't he?

• tclunetclune Shipmate
    I've no doubt that those Shipmates who have suggested that there's a certain sort of jumped up nasty who relishes the opportunity to pursue a career where you're given free range to bully people even less fortunate than yourself, and indeed are more likely to be promoted if you reveal no evidence of humanity or fellow feeling for your victims.
    I'm not sure that failing to show empathy is the best way to call out others for lack of empathy. Most people, at least in this country, do not want open borders with the rest of the world. However, there is virtually no consensus on what our immigration policy should be. The people tasked with enforcing the laws have to know what the laws are and what our expectations are in how they will be enforced. When they do not have a clear understanding of what their job entails, it creates a fair amount of tension in the most well-intentioned of them.
    As an aside, I have lived in Detroit, MI which had quite possibly the worst police force in the country, and Northampton, MA which may well have the best. There is a huge range of personalities and competencies in law enforcement. Painting an entire occupation with a broad brush strikes me as the very definition of prejudice and stereotyping.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited May 17

Not quite. DACA was for people brought into the U.S. as children but to be eligible they had to have been in the U.S. since before their 16th birthday and prior to June 2007 (later updated to 2010). In other words, it only applied to those who were in the U.S. prior to the wave of unaccompanied minors who arrived during the Obama administration, largely due to instability in the Northern Triangle. The Obama administration also deferred immigration action on those individuals, mostly for the reasons you outline, but it was a different program.

Kids covered under DACA have mostly grown up in the U.S. Some didn't even know that they weren't U.S. citizens until they wanted to apply to college. Deporting them to their "home" countries, which many of them don't even remember, would be both pointless and cruel.
  • cliffdwellercliffdweller Shipmate
    Crœsos wrote: »

Not quite. DACA was for people brought into the U.S. as children but to be eligible they had to have been in the U.S. since before their 16th birthday and prior to June 2007 (later updated to 2010). In other words, it only applied to those who were in the U.S. prior to the wave of unaccompanied minors who arrived during the Obama administration, largely due to instability in the Northern Triangle. The Obama administration also deferred immigration action on those individuals, mostly for the reasons you outline, but it was a different program.

Kids covered under DACA have mostly grown up in the U.S. Some didn't even know that they weren't U.S. citizens until they wanted to apply to college. Deporting them to their "home" countries, which many of them don't even remember, would be both pointless and cruel.

Yes, exactly. I have a number of DACA students in the college where I teach. The requirements to qualify for DACA are quite strict. It's not directed toward unaccompanied minors, but rather those who were brought to the US by their parents before they turned 18. Under the current administration, that has put many DACA students in a bit of a catch-22, now that ICE is going after law-abiding, peaceful, tax-paying undocumented persons who have been here for decades. DACA gives protection to these young adults so they can go to college, work, and have a path toward citizenship. But by applying they are outing their parents as undocumented. Under Obama, that was a pretty low risk since no one was going after these law-abiding long-term residents. But now that they are, DACA seems a bit dicier. Note that the daughter of the pastor in the OP is a DACA recipient. Whether that's what outed her mom or something else we can't really know.

The wave of unaccompanied minors (mostly teens) who started arriving around 2014 was the beginning of the detention camps-- intended as temporary holding for these kids until relatives or foster parents could be arranged. Trumpsters like to conflate these detentions with the current family separations, claiming that family separation began under Obama. Untrue.

It is true that the Obama administration was unprepared for the sudden wave of unaccompanied minors, and handled it poorly. Detention camps were probably not the best option-- especially since record keeping was poor leading to many kids "lost" in the system. However, there are several key differences between this screw up and Trump's family separation: 1.) Unaccompanied minors in 2014-16 were teens. There were no toddlers stumbling across the border w/o parents. Trump is continuing (in defiance of court orders) to separate even infants and toddlers. 2.) The US was not doing the separating under Obama. Unaccompanied minors under Obama were generally kids whose parents weighed the odds their child would have doing the treacherous crossing to get to relatives up north vs taking their chances with the local drug lords, and decided to take the risk. It wasn't the US forcibly separating them, the separation had already taken place. Under Trump, both ICE and border patrol are forcibly creating "unaccompanied minors." 3.) While record keeping wasn't great 2014-16, there was a system. Most of those who were "lost" are assumed to be with relatives who simply moved and failed to check in with ICE to let them know their new address. Whereas under Trump there was no system in place at all-- and it appears deliberate. There was no tracking whatsoever, not even a coatcheck system to track what happened to a child after it was ripped away from it's parents. In the case of nonverbal infants, we still don't have an answer for how we can possibly return them to unknown parents. As one immigration judge noted, if you took a migrant's wallet from him/her at the border, you would hand him a receipt noting the exact contents and it would be booked into holding. But the Trump admin. took their children without so much as a sticky note to help connect the child to their parent. 4.) Obama didn't create the crisis, he was simply unprepared for it when he arrived. Some of the worst errors were addressed in time. Trump created this crisis, and has doubled down on it time and time again. It all appears to be quite deliberate, with the goal of competing with drug lords to make life here in the US even more miserable than the hellish life they are fleeing.

Casual cruelty.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    Does the US not have child protection laws creating a duty of care by the state for a child ?
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Ah, but these are only foreign children, and they are a bit suntanned. As they shouldn't be there, they're outside the protection of the law. So they don't count. 😤🤢💩
  • O - I see!

BROWN people, rather than ORANGE people (they're OK?).

What is it with this skin colour thing? If you prick everyone, do they not bleed?
  • RicardusRicardus Shipmate
    edited May 19
    law-abiding, peaceful, tax-paying undocumented persons who have been here for decades. DACA gives protection to these young adults so they can go to college, work, and have a path toward citizenship. But by applying they are outing their parents as undocumented. Under Obama, that was a pretty low risk since no one was going after these law-abiding long-term residents.

It's probably not much consolation, but I think this illustrates that, at least until recently, the median American has been far more tolerant towards immigrants than the median Brit. IME, in the UK there is sympathy (at least in some quarters) towards asylum seekers who fail because they can't provide enough evidence, or immigrants who get caught out by Vogons at the Home Office because their lives don't fit into the expected bureaucratic template. But I don't think there is much sympathy for people who don't fit into any of the categories that would give them leave to remain, and for whom there are no mitigating circumstances that mean they *ought* to fit into one of those categories - regardless of whether they are in fact peaceful and law-abiding.